my friend is giving up on his dreams because of God

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex-craft7

Reaction score
ill say this right now - im not christian. but my friend is a strongly religious person. anyways, my friend is a **** smart kid. his life goal (since i knew him from high school) is to start his own computer science/engineering related company. math/science is his strongest subject, he builds computer programs for fun, reads up on business and marketing FOR FUN, and has been spending the last two years of college taking computer science/business related classes. he recently got accepted into the computer engineering program, and he has 3 days to accept the invitation or not.

but thats not the point. a couple days ago, while we were going someplace to eat dinner, he suddenly stopped in the middle of the street, and he told me that at that moment, he "felt my body shake, felt something come over me, and saw the answer. my purpose is to be a doctor."

he talked to me five hours later, saying he's still firm on being a doctor, and he's not sure if he'll accept the comp engineering acceptance. in his own words, "i dont want to do it, but pre-med gets priority now."

he has never, in all the years ive known him, said he wanted to be a doctor. this is because he hates the medical field (he has no interest in it), hates the idea of being a doctor, has no interest in any of the subjects he has to study in order to become a doctor, and he has other goals.

i dont know if this is because im firmly non-religious, but at the moment, the whole thing just sounds kinda screwed up to me. i mean, if faith is the most important aspect of his life, then by all means.. but personally, i just feel uncomfortable at the moment. i dont want him to do this, but it IS his decision in the end. at the moment, the least im trying to do is get him to at least keep his options open.

ive also heard many people tell me to just "let him do whatever he wants. its his life." but im sorry, he is, and has been, one of my closest friends for many many years, so its impossible for me to just "let him do whatever he wants" and leave it at that. opinions?

rex-craft7 said:
ill say this right now - im not christian. but my friend is a strongly religious person. anyways, my friend is a **** smart kid. his life goal (since i knew him from high school) is to start his own computer science/engineering related company. math/science is his strongest subject, he builds computer programs for fun, reads up on business and marketing FOR FUN, and has been spending the last two years of college taking computer science/business related classes. he recently got accepted into the computer engineering program, and he has 3 days to accept the invitation or not.

but thats not the point. a couple days ago, while we were going someplace to eat dinner, he suddenly stopped in the middle of the street, and he told me that at that moment, he "felt my body shake, felt something come over me, and saw the answer. my purpose is to be a doctor."

he talked to me five hours later, saying he's still firm on being a doctor, and he's not sure if he'll accept the comp engineering acceptance. in his own words, "i dont want to do it, but pre-med gets priority now."

he has never, in all the years ive known him, said he wanted to be a doctor. this is because he hates the medical field (he has no interest in it), hates the idea of being a doctor, has no interest in any of the subjects he has to study in order to become a doctor, and he has other goals.

i dont know if this is because im firmly non-religious, but at the moment, the whole thing just sounds kinda screwed up to me. i mean, if faith is the most important aspect of his life, then by all means.. but personally, i just feel uncomfortable at the moment. i dont want him to do this, but it IS his decision in the end. at the moment, the least im trying to do is get him to at least keep his options open.

ive also heard many people tell me to just "let him do whatever he wants. its his life." but im sorry, he is, and has been, one of my closest friends for many many years, so its impossible for me to just "let him do whatever he wants" and leave it at that. opinions?

Schitzo.

Well, I say, let him choose his own path in life. If his inner conviction drives him to be a doctor, then so be it, and there's nothing that anyone else can do to change that. Perhaps he has had some sort of epiphany, some sort of spiritual awakening. At his age, it must be quite hard to know what to do, he's at a crossroads, struggling to make a decision. Just let him do what he wants - maybe he will see that this sudden decision is not the best choice to make, or maybe he will become the greatest doctor in living history. We shouldn't interfere in the dreams and ambitions of other people. You're a good friend for showing so much concern over his future - he's lucky to have someone like you :)

I'm sure he's got reasons. Ask him about them, and if you still feel he shouldn't give up on the computer-stuff try to convince him to keep at it. Tell him why you think he should continue with that stuff, tell him he's smart at what he does and it'll be a shame to just throw it away at such a crucial time. maybe he just needs his to show him the otherside of things.

Try telling him you think it's obvious that God intended him to pursue his original goal, since he is so naturally gifted at it and has such a love for it.

I would ask him why he even wants to get into a field he has no interest for. I mean, doctors and nurses and such get into that particular field to help people. The majority of them are the "people-person" type, and take into consideration the feelings of their patients. I would think that if someone didn't have any interest in that field that they can't really do their job. What's the point in getting into the medical field when he doesn't even like it? It's more likely than not that he will lack some sort of compassion for it.

You're saying he has cold feet ? Probably...
Fear of sucess..? maybe.

People have to learn how to make their own chioces and live with them.
If you make the descision for him now....what's next ?
He'll hate you later if you make a decision for him. If his bussiness fails...or whatever path .

Yeah...sometimes i wished I would had listen to some of my freinds in the past too...
Tuff call.

Today...I'll ask other people for opinions...that's okay, just so i can get a better perspective.
I learned from my mistakes.

But ultimately I make my own decisions...I need that freedom of chioce.

Ask yourself that same question...
Would you like other people making chioces for you ?

Hmm. I think you should just support your friend through this and see where it leads. He probably needs all the support he can get and who knows, maybe he'll make a talented doctor and save heaps of lives one day. It'd be a bit different if he suddenly turned around and said he wanted to drop everything all together and live in a dumpster or in the local park.

Latest posts

Back