my introduction

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dante112

Reaction score
My name is Phil. I live in Maryland, although I'm a relatively recent transplant here, I'm a male college student, and I'm 23.

I seem to have a problem in that I can't seem to connect with anyone on anything more than a superficial level. This includes platonic relationships (friendships or even potential employers) or romantic relationships. Basically, I haven't made any friends since high school (those friends literally walked up to me, I didn't have to work for them at all). I've never had a girlfriend, or even had a conversation with a girl. I'm extremely nervous around girls my own age, so much so that I really can't think or even function around them, but I am a heterosexual, so this torments me. I can't even imagine myself approaching a girl and trying to talk to her about anything. I always think that either she has a boyfriend already or she'll take one look at me and reject me. Sometimes I kind of envy girls because, with their gender role, it is really easy for them to form not only platonic relationships with other girls, but they literally can sit in a bar and wait to be approached, while all the pressure is on the guy to approach the girl and try to impress her. I'm not impressive, and I'm not going to make an impression on anyone, be it a girl at a bar, an employer, or a potential friend.

On top of this, here's all the things that are wrong with me besides my social anxiety and low self-esteem:
I'm out of shape
I have a poor complexion
I'm covered in stretch marks
I'm only 6 feet tall, so not very impressive height-wise
I slouch
I never speak unless spoken to
I can never remember names, even of people I find interesting
I sweat excessively, especially when nervous

All of these defects make me feel like I can't even try, so I avoid going to bars, dances, or other social events (especially informal ones). Basically, I go to class and I go home. That's my life.

So, clearly, this leads to me feeling isolated and alone, and I don't really like that feeling. This combined with an uncertain future that I really don't have any direction in tends to make me feel depressed and anxious. I've had some group therapy for these feelings, but I don't really feel like I can trust that group because we can see each other and therefore judge each other, pick each other out in a crowd, etc. For instance, I don't tell them that I've had some suicidal feelings because I'm ashamed of these feelings and I think that the group will think that I'm just looking for attention (don't think I'll act on them because I'm also afraid of death, so maybe they'll cancel each other out?). Anyway, on this forum, since we're all basically anonymous, maybe I can be a bit more open and exorcise some of these nasty feelings that are literally rotting me from within. Sorry to be a downer, I hope nobody reads this and gets more depressed than they already are.

Dante112 said:
Sometimes I kind of envy girls because, with their gender role, it is really easy for them to form not only platonic relationships with other girls, but they literally can sit in a bar and wait to be approached, while all the pressure is on the guy to approach the girl and try to impress her.

Lol don't envy women for that. You're forgetting that they constantly "have to be presentable" and made-up all the time. It probably takes a good hour or two for those women to be ready to go out for a night of partying at a club...even more, if you count all the waxing and shaving and hair-fixing and....etc etc etc. Women have a HUGE burden to bear, because according to society they have to look a certain way to be approached at all...so they continually worry about their looks and their weight...it can be exhausting and difficult for them, too.

Dante112 said:
Anyway, on this forum, since we're all basically anonymous, maybe I can be a bit more open and exorcise some of these nasty feelings that are literally rotting me from within. Sorry to be a downer, I hope nobody reads this and gets more depressed than they already are.

Thanks for sharing, man. :) Welcome to the forum. You're completely free to vent, talk, and advise anyone on here. You should check out our chatroom sometime! I think this might be a good place for you to chill and maybe work on some social skills...and gain the confidence that you truly need to become master of your surroundings. ^_^

----Steve

ey man, just read your post and 1 thing that might help you (it's helped me quite a bit) is exercise, as in fitness, or just running/walking couple of hours a week. it'll make u get in shape and once u feel better physically this has an effect on your state of mind as well.. so once u feel that u:

1 are becoming fitter
2 have more energy
3 raise ur self-esteem because of this exercise
4 start to actually look better because your self-esteem starts to grow slowly but gradually

so basically as soon as u live more healthy this has a major effect on your mental well-being. i havent had much experience with this, but i know that when i first started fitnessing like 2 times a week it had a significant effect on my mental state. as soon as i stopped exercising my mental state deteriorated. if the gym is not something for you then simply going outside more for a walk on a once every other day-basis can surely help.
also, this sounds very shallow but fact is that as soon as u try a little harder to look better - for example buy some new clothes, new haircut - then u'll notice that u feel more confident in social situations, or even when walking down the street or at the groceries. simply because u know u look 'presentable'. but beware that in order for that to work the clothes/hairstyle etc should fit your personality. in other words dont try to be some1 your not just for the sake of fitting in.
i hope this helped, if not than thats ok. either way i wish you the best of luck and hope u realise u are definately not the only 1, i'm in a very similar situation...

Wait, did you say that you're... "only 6 feet tall"? You're almost a whole foot taller than me.

Latest posts

Back