My (on-going) Saga

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keebler

Reaction score
Okay, for those who care ... read on.
For those that may feel they could be bored, I'd move to another post if I were you, this could indeed be boring. :)

Well ... my on-going saga

Some of you may have read my comment in the "what are you thinking right now" ... about my horrible landlord and his psycho girlfriend. The situation in a nutshell is that we moved to this house at the end of October. It's in a really posh neighbourhood, but once you enter the house you see that it's quite different from the other houses in this area. Most of the other houses are detached 3 and 4 bedroom properties. This is semi-detached with 2 bedrooms, one very small, with only one door to the outside, which is in the kitchen. The backyard is a construction site gone very wrong, and has been this way for about 10 years. However, throughout all of this, we were still happy to rent this house. The landlord had gone on about how he was going to do certain things that needed doing, and even reiterated these issues when he came to pick up his post during one of several visits to the house. He would also send me strange text messages, and I asked him to contact my husband and not myself. He also kept delaying the signing of the rental agreement, so we never did sign one .... ever. Which knowing what I know now, I am so glad we didn't. The thing is, he never did any of the things he said he would. I kept asking but all I got was excuses and delays, but funny how he would always be able to pick up his mail without fail. Something weird about all of that I think.
Well, after being hassled about paying rent, which we always do via bank transfer, and him coming here just about every day to pick up his mail (he's never had it redirected since we've been here) and giving us hassle if we weren't here, like we're his private secretaries. He actually got angry one night cause our car was here but we weren't!!! I got sick of it all and emailed him saying that I wanted to know when he was going to do some of the things he said he would, his reply was that he didn't need the hassle, and that's how all this nasty mess started.
And he never comes during the day, it's always at night, and seems like they are always boozed up when they come as well. I walked down to the store yesterday, which they live opposite, and I seen both cars home and seen the psycho girlfriend walking across the road, so why can't they come at that time of day? I know why .... they liked to get boozed up so they've got that artificial confidence to try and bully us.
So the police have been here a few times, council have been involved, as well as CAB and everyone else. It's been a battle of messages sent by email and texts. I finally got a call block program on my mobile so they wouldn't bother me anymore, and did give them my husband's number, but they continued to ring me and text me.
This is a good time to tell kids to stay in school. Do not become adult idiots like these people obviously are.
Sorry that this has turned out a bit winded .... so we're hoping to move in the next 2 weeks, as we've found a couple of possible houses that we can move to, with our dogs and all of our fish. Now keep in mind that not only have we had a letter off the landlord's solicitor saying that as of the 19th we were being evicted, but the psycho girlfriend also hand wrote a note, hand-delivered it, saying that they were "expediting" the eviction, which legally can't be done. I know what my rights are, shame they don't.
Well they turned up last night ..... almost 8pm too, all boozed up as per normal. My husband had just walked down to the local shop (a local shop for local people) so I knew he'd be back soon. I gave the landlord his mail, and he tried saying that he wasn't evicting us and that we got that letter by mistake, and being all nice and kissy kissy. Yeah right. I don't trust these people.
Husband came back and talked with them. The landlord's trying to salvage the situation, trying to get us to stay because he finally realises the situation he's in. Not only is he losing the income he's had from us being here, now he's facing having to pay out nearly £1000 to evict us legally, and will have to put more money into this house before he can rent it out again, and even much more money if he wants to sell it. Well anyway, he's going on and on about how he'd like to work with us, give us more time, etc., and she's on the other side of the car making nasty little comments here and there. Like how she told a potential landlord of ours, when asked for a reference about us, all sorts of nasty things and was quite happy about confessing doing so. She is just not right, seriously.
Well I have to say ... I feel quite happy today. After months of being stressed and with already having issues with panic and anxiety, the last thing I need is stupid psycho people turning up to cause me hassle at night when I'm on my own.
So, we're due to look at a house on Monday and still hoping to hear from another person with another house available. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Tune in for more saga ..... :p

Well thats what you get for living in Derby!

But I'm glad you're getting out, I'd say pretend to play along with the landlord to avoid any extra hassles, then just go when you've got something sorted. If there's no agreement you're not bound to give any notice., plus they don't derseve any consideration based on how they've treated you. I'd also photo everything before you leave so he can't suddenly claim something after you've left.

I can't wait for the next episode :)

The next bit of the saga is that we just got a letter today from the landlord's solicitor .... strangely enough, it's an eviction order, but not from the court. The solicitor says the landlord is hoping we will voluntarily leave the property, and leave it tidy. They also have said the landlord wants to sell the property and that we should give the rental agents access to the house so they can get on with selling it.
All very funny given that he has just said that he's not evicting us, a direct quote made just last night. I have a feeling that he found out some bad news when he had an inspection done recently by a builder. I have also found out that the council have told him he has to clean up the back garden, so it must be a concern if they've done that. I think it's all a bit ironic. He could have avoided all of this if he had just done a few simple things, as he said he would, at the beginning. But now he's in the poop and I strangely find myself smiling!

Okay, this is where I REALLY start to worry! We have maybe till the end of April, not very far off, and we still haven't sorted anywhere to live yet.
I thought we had 2 houses as options, but just found out that one has fallen through and not heard anything in regards to the other house in a week or so, and that's got me worried. People just don't bother getting back in touch and I am really stressing!
We have 3 dogs and a few fish tanks ..... what will I do with them if we can't find a house in time? The current landlord would love for us not to find another house, as he wants us to be forced into signing a longer rental agreement and upping the rent by £100 more per month. I do not want to stay here any longer than we have to, it's been horrible in just the short time we've been here, I can only imagine what things would be like if we were here on a longer term.

Anyone here in the UK know of any private landlord that's decent and nice and wouldn't ask for a reference from our current landlord .... in the Doncaster or surrounding areas? If so, get in touch, we really need to find another house ASAP!!!!!

My situations always been the other way around. I had to rent rooms out at my place when I was a student to pay the bills, and I had nightmare lodger after nightmare lodger. I know its the other way around in your case, but I do feel your pain in having to deal with someone being such an arse in a scenario where there are a load of tenancy laws to complicate things.

It's a pity you're not up Manchester way, as my family and my husbands family rent out several properties and have empty ones at the moment :(

I do hope you find something soon. I don't know if there is a local Housing Association with availability at the moment, but they are much more likely to allow pets than private landlords.

I've always allowed pets, and its only backfired once, when I found myself the accidental owner of an abandoned rabbit when my lodger was sent to prison (!) lol

Lady X said:
My situations always been the other way around. I had to rent rooms out at my place when I was a student to pay the bills, and I had nightmare lodger after nightmare lodger. I know its the other way around in your case, but I do feel your pain in having to deal with someone being such an arse in a scenario where there are a load of tenancy laws to complicate things.

It's a pity you're not up Manchester way, as my family and my husbands family rent out several properties and have empty ones at the moment :(

I do hope you find something soon. I don't know if there is a local Housing Association with availability at the moment, but they are much more likely to allow pets than private landlords.

I've always allowed pets, and its only backfired once, when I found myself the accidental owner of an abandoned rabbit when my lodger was sent to prison (!) lol

Hi and thanks. I can sincerely believe that there are probably more bad tenants out there than bad landlords, leave it to us to find a really bad example of one!
I know our situation is unique and certainly not the norm .... I wish it was different, but it is what it is unfortunately.

I used to live in Middleton, outside Manchester. I didn't think it was too bad over there. Thing is, we need to stay where the husband is working close to .... and moving my fish tanks as far as Manchester would be a nightmare!!

Thanks for your kind words .... much appreciated. :)

I have to say that things have gotten stranger .... and the saga continues. I'm still moaning about my landlord and we're still trying to find another place to move to.

Now, just to make things easier to understand ... back in February we were sent a letter from our landlord's solicitor saying that the landlord intended to seek repossession of the house come April. Then not less than 2 weeks after receiving the letter from his solicitor, we had a hand-written note delivered personally by his psycho girlfriend (aka The Rottweiler) and that note was saying they were expediting the eviction. Well, we know our rights, and even though he's been hassling us by coming by frequently to pick up his mail, we know that until we get a court order, he can't do much to us.

Then last week they appeared one night, my husband was down at the shop when they came. The landlord asked if we'd received a letter from his solicitor, and I thought he was talking about the letter from February and I said so. Then the husband came home and they talked a bit. Apparently the landlord was saying he wasn't evicting us, it was all a mistake. When we asked what happened when we tried to get a reference from them for another rental, he said he never talked to anyone, but she did .... and she admitted that she fixed it so we wouldn't get the house. Which I don't understand. If they want us gone, they why sabotage a reference? However, strangely enough, the following day, in the post, was another letter from his solicitor, and this one saying very clearly that he was seeking repossession of the house. But it also went on to say that they were hoping we'd voluntarily give up the house, and that's so he won't have to spend that £1k they quoted him for an eviction order, which is what he needs to get rid of us. I think it's really odd that they show up one night saying they aren't evicting us, and the following day we're sent a proper letter from his solicitor saying that very thing.

I think what really happened is that he recently had a builder come out and do an inspection, as he said he was thinking about selling the house ... and I think the inspection report didn't come back so favourable. I also know that the council have told him that he's got to clean up the back garden, which looks like a failed construction site .... in fact, that's what it is. I reckon with all that's wrong with the house and with having to clear up the back garden and remove all that debris, he's looking at putting out quite a lot of money, something he's not keen on doing.

They really are queer though. He came the other night, asked for his bike, got it and never said anything more. The following day he was sending texts and messages to both my mobile and the husband's saying they wanted rent, and that even if we're going, we still owe them rent. He tried to tell my husband that we have to pay to be evicted!!!! But he sent messages saying he was coming round to collect the rent and I think we were supposed to take that as he was coming to make us pay him rent. They never did show up.

Now another strange thing. Today we received a letter from what's supposed to be his estranged wife, who lives in this same area not very far from us. This letter has stated that she wants to visit the property to collect a few of her personal items. I am not sure what she's going on about, the only stuff that's here that doesn't belong to us is in the loft and in the outdoor sheds. And another thing I don't understand. If your estranged husband rented out your former home, and you had your belongings there, wouldn't you remove them before any strangers moved in? I would.

Second part of the strangeness. My husband received a text from the landlord saying that his estranged wife wants her furniture back. When we moved here, we were told that we didn't need our washing machine, microwave, sofa or our television. So we left our sofa behind and our 32" tv .... but I decided to keep the washer and microwave. Good thing I did. Two weeks into living here, the landlord and psycho Rottweiler came here and took back their tv, which I didn't appreciate at all. It left us with no television at all, and we had to get one. Not very nice and with no forewarning, they just appeared and took the tv.
Now he's saying they're going to come and take the sofa and 2 chairs that he left here?! I don't think so. What's funny is that it's supposed to be his estranged wife that wants it back ....why wouldn't she come by herself? I smell something funny here ..... and I really don't trust these people at all.

I suspect the letter wasn't written by his estranged wife, and I think they're up to something in all honesty. I really don't like these people, they just don't give up. He's hoping if he keeps after us, we will just up and leave and he won't have to evict us, and therefore won't have to put out any money. Well .... I believe we have found somewhere to go.

We went and looked at a house on Friday morning. It's about 45 minutes north of where we live now .... but good for the husband's work. The house is much bigger than this one. This house is a small two bedroom with just a tiny kitchen and one room downstairs and only one door going in and out of the house (which I think is really odd) ... this other house has a large living room, dining room, kitchen, back porch type room, downstairs loo ..... and 3 nice bedrooms upstairs. What's better is the back garden ... it's really long and nice, my dogs will love it.

We put a deposit down on it to hold it because it's got to be cleaned up. It's just recently been vacated ... so the landlord asked for us to give him 2 weeks to do it up and then we can move in, paying first month's rent when we move in. So it's looking like we've got some place to go .... there's just sorting renting a truck, and we're hoping to find someone that might be able to help us for the day for a little money. Does anyone know anyone in the Chesterfield area that has a decent size truck and can help us move? We will pay of course, just can't afford what removal companies charge. We can rent a truck ourselves, but I was hoping to get someone to help us with the big stuff, and my fish tanks. Last time we had to do it all ourselves and I was sore for 3 days afterwards .... no joke.
Even if you've no transportation ... if you've got a day free on the 3rd of May and live in the Chesterfield area, we could pick you up and bring you back obviously ...... don't know if anyone would be up for that, but let me know if anyone is.

.... fingers tired now

Wow, well things have changed quite a bit since then .. but still a bit messed up. We did move from Chesterfield, and went to Doncaster, only this house is worse than the last and the landlord isn't much better either! So we are looking to move yet again. I hate moving, it severely stresses me out. We are hoping to move at the end of this month if things go well.

I can totally relate. I've moved so much in my lifetime too. Good luck with your next move and hope it will be a more permanent one.

Latest posts

Back