My story, and my problems...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el Jay

Reaction score
This could probably go in multiple forums here, but I chose Loneliness because it's the common thread.

My problems started way back in elementary school. I started getting teased in 2nd and 3rd grade (I went to a private school at the time), which prompted my parents to switch me to a public school. That was the beginning of hell for me. Between 4th grade and 11th, I switched schools several times (once a year, and sometimes more), and my mom moved us across the USA and even the world, but every time I just found more cruel kids waiting for an easy mark. It didn't end until 11th, when I moved back in with my dad in Pennsylvania after an incident where I lashed out violently against a kid that pushed me too far one day. At that point, school finally got better, something my parents had promised me would happen every year since 4th grade, as kids matured more. Took them long enough.

That's the quick version, at least. The whole experience left me shell-shocked and with a very odd mix of maturity/immaturity, and a large lack of social skills. I could get along with people just fine. But forming lasting connections, picking up on social cues, and doing more than just surviving has always eluded me. I suppose part of the whole ordeal was my fault, as I probably became such a victim and target that it shaped who I was, and thus I brought some of it on myself, not knowing any other life. But by and large, it just a ******* shitty childhood where I was denied normal social interactions and the chance to be a "normal" kid and teenager, with the normal ups and downs that came with it.

I literally do not know how to connect with someone to make any sort of long-term friends. I get along with people, we may even have stuff in common. But how to move it to the point I get to know them outside of whatever environment we're in (such as in a college classroom) just is foreign to me.

Ever since school, I've been playing catch-up with my life. When I graduated at 18, my level of maturity was that of a 14 year old, and in terms of social skills, probably lower. Even now at 27, I relate more to people aged 21-24 than I do anyone close to my age. And the "missing out" on normal experiences feels like it's followed me too, as I never went away to dorm at college, but stayed with my dad (and we live with and take care of my grandfather). It's something I regret, but it's too late to change that anyways. At the time I didn't care, because when I finished high school, I was just happy people left me alone. But as time went on, I've gradually been wanting interaction, wanting people in my life, more and more, without knowing how to get them.

Oddly (to my at least), I've had marginal success in terms of girlfriends. Got a long distance one when I was 19, got all my firsts out of the way, but we broke up after almost a year due to realizing we has little in common (aside from sexual compatibility). But because it was long distance, we were physically together less than 20 days out of the 330 or so we were together.

My second girlfriend was also long distance, and ended up being the worst experience of my life. Long story short, she was a few years younger, and had a difficult past too (school problems). We were together over three years...and never met, because she always put it off and got upset if I brought it up. When she was happy, she was wonderful, and I could see myself spending my life with her. But she just got increasingly depressed over the years, and more miserable, dragging me with her. She was hypocritical, worst of all. When she was upset or depressed and needed to talk, I needed to listen and nothing else, as suggestions upset her (she felt like I was "forcing" her to do them right then). But if I needed the same? She would pelt me with suggestions and treat me like honeysuckle for asking that she just listen. Sexually (for what it mattered, being online), she was perverted, which I liked... or would have, if she hadn't refused to involve me in stuff because she was too embarrassed about it. And she teased me for liking stuff she later admitted she was also into.

So you're asking "why stay with her so long?" Well, I was depressed too, and had generally terrible luck with girls. She and I had so much in common, we felt like a perfect match, and by the time it was apparent that it wouldn't work, we were in it too far and I thought I could help her, that she'd come around. Well, years later, I finally convince her to get therapy and medication, and she dumps me, because she doesn't want me there reminding her of what she used to be. Fair enough, I guess, except for all the energy I wasted on her for years, trying to improve her life and help her be happy again.

In the end, it left me completely starved of affection, intimacy, and sex, all of which are extremely important things to me in a relationship. And now, almost two years after our breakup, I feel so much worse off than I would've been had I been single all that time (and I may as well have been, really). It was completely a loss for me. I gained so little from it and lost so much time and energy. And worst of all, the way she treated me has left me feeling like there's no way any girl could possibly want to be with me. I mean, I get along with them fine, really. Some probably even think I'm charming. But the idea of me asking someone out and having them say yes is completely foreign, as though it's just impossible. Sure, they like me as a friend, but why would they possibly want to date me? Who would want to? That's laughable.

So here I am, at 27, with no real idea how to make lasting friends. No idea where to meet people (I spend most of my time in my room). No prospect for a girlfriend, as almost every girl I meet has a boyfriend already. Dating sites are filled with girls so cowardly they won't even bother replying, even though I do put thought into what message I send them (bonus: most have a "If you message me and there's more thought in it than 'hey bby wana fuk', I'll probably reply). I'm not sure how to go about finding friends, or girls, either. I don't know anyone like me in real life, it's all "normal" people who seem to understand the intricacies of social interaction.

I also have terribly social anxiety that I'm not medicated for (and probably should be). As a result of my bullying, I'm terrified that people around me in public will go out of their way to tease me for any small social offense I may commit, even to the point that I hate asking for help at help desks because I feel I'll be made fun of for not knowing, even if there's no expectation that I WOULD know. I know it's ludicrous that it goes to such extremes, but it's a part of me I can't shake. Back when I was bullied in school, if someone caught wind of something they could tease me for, they did so, told other kids so they could tease me as well, and made it follow me from class to class, day to day, week to week. I now fear that sort of baseless and knee-jerk retaliation from most social interactions I have, and it keeps me from going out and discovering new places and meeting new people. The thought of doing so and not knowing exactly how to handle a situation **** near gives me panic attacks, and makes the several days leading up to an event of any kind stressful (although oddly enough, I usually perform admirably when actually AT a place I was fearing going to.

Lastly, I just don't know how to connect with people I do meet. I recently returned to college to finish a 4 year degree and get along with people great. People, both students and professors, know me, like me, and respect me. I'm an intelligent person and can, with a minimum of effort, ace a class on the first try that other students are lucky to get a B- in...their second time taking it. A female friend I knew from some classes, who was older than me (and married), said she thought I appeared confident, intelligent, and kind to people who knew me, when I asked her one day. It's funny, because I feel so completely un-confident, anxious, and like I'll never be as good as other people. That they'll always somehow be better than me, no matter how good I am.

Ultimately, I feel like I have no place in this world. That my life is a constant struggle to barely eke out an existence in a world that doesn't want me, while other people have some magical birthright that guarantees them a place in the world, in society, without even trying. That the best I can do is break even, while other people would have to try (and fail miserably) to even go THAT low. And how my female friend said I appeared to other people outlined to me the issue: ow can I possibly connect with others when they see me as this great, confident person? When I see myself as having low self esteem, low confidence, and struggling to survive? Which is the real me, the person they see, or the person I see?

My suffering, my misery, and what I've gone through and struggled with in the past is as much a part of me as anything else. My mom always tells me that the great thing about life is no one will know my past, and so they'll only know the person who I present to them. But that seems so backwards to me, because if they don't know my past, they don't know who I am, and why. The person they see, that they know, is a lie. But I can't just up and tell them about my past, as it'd just drive them away, or be out of place. How do I connect with people who can't understand what I've gone through?

I don't really know the point of writing up all of this. I don't know what advice would be helpful to me, or if it would change anything. Maybe I'm just hoping that, for once, someone somewhere can understand what I've gone through, even if that's all they knew about me. That's why I came here in the first place, after all. Humans seem to bond through sharing misery, so maybe I can find people here I can relate to. People I can understand, and, in turn, can understand me. I can answer any questions anyone may have, or clarify anything that needs clarification. I'd write more, but this is more than enough detail for one post.

Hey el Jay.

Sounds like you've had it rough, but you'll probably find a lot of us here with similar or sometimes, worse backgrounds and I hope that will help you feel less alone. In many ways I can relate, to the outside world, I am confident, smart, completely put together, but inside I doubt everything good about me. I guess it has a lot to do with what happened to us during our formative years.

Still, eventhough every once in awhile I want to give up on myself and everything, I keep bouncing back. And this forum does help, if you're open to advice.

Welcome and I hope you see in you what everyone else seems to see someday. :)

Welcome! :)

I can't offer any advice, because basically I'm scared of my own shadow LOL. But many here will give you a lot of good advice.

Hi el Jay, thanks for sharing your story.

I can relate to many of the things you said.

In school I had one single friend, which saved me from being bullied, but people would just leave me alone. It got worse when I went to a different school for the last couple of years, and had nobody to talk to anymore. To be honest, most were pretty nice and curious about me, but I just wanted to get out of there.

I too knew a girl who was some years younger than me. She was bullied and has social phobia, and is very secretive. Long story short, we became online friends, years later I convinced her to meet *once*, later I told her I liked her and she developed a crisis. I suggested she went to a therapist and I did so myself. Now she's in medication and doing better, but we're not in touch anymore.

Like you, I don't know how to connect with people. If I'm in a formal situation like a classroom I'm fine, but I'm terrible at small talk, and I have a hard time remembering faces and names. Things that seem so easy for everyone are nearly impossible to me. People seem to like me when they get to know me, but it's like everyone has a barrier of distrust, and I can't get from being a total stranger to being a friend or even an acquaintance.

I spend most of my time in my room too, and I know very well that I should be going out every day and night, meeting girls and getting rejected until I'm lucky and find one. I'm average looking so it would just be a matter of math, right? But the pain and humiliation of just the thought of being rejected by some stupid girls I don't even like, is too much for me.

You seem to me bright and articulate, I'm sure you'll be able to find the way to make things better.

I understand how you feel. Going through the same motions as everyone else but getting different results.
The people who are in my life are there because of what I can give them. I don't kid myself. There is a mutual transaction - I get company, they get my generosity. Whatever connection that comes with true friendship - the desire to be in someone's company because it's enjoyable - doesn't exist between my friends and I. I get called when they need something.
That's just the way it is for me. I can't seem to blame anyone but myself, because I am the common denominator in all my inadequate social interactions.
I wish I could tell you how to make that magical connection, but I really don't know. There is just something about me that keeps people at a distance.

I no longer take it personal though, this is just the way things are. The inability to have a close personal relationship doesn't make me feel bad. This is who I am. Being me is something I can accept without apology. I don't think it should make you feel like you're less than others. To me, being social is a skill. Some people are born with it and others have to work hard to be mediocre. Then people like me are just lacking no matter what. I don't think it defines you. Whatever is good about you is still good.

J.P. said:
Hi el Jay, thanks for sharing your story.

I can relate to many of the things you said.

In school I had one single friend, which saved me from being bullied, but people would just leave me alone. It got worse when I went to a different school for the last couple of years, and had nobody to talk to anymore. To be honest, most were pretty nice and curious about me, but I just wanted to get out of there.

I too knew a girl who was some years younger than me. She was bullied and has social phobia, and is very secretive. Long story short, we became online friends, years later I convinced her to meet *once*, later I told her I liked her and she developed a crisis. I suggested she went to a therapist and I did so myself. Now she's in medication and doing better, but we're not in touch anymore.

Like you, I don't know how to connect with people. If I'm in a formal situation like a classroom I'm fine, but I'm terrible at small talk, and I have a hard time remembering faces and names. Things that seem so easy for everyone are nearly impossible to me. People seem to like me when they get to know me, but it's like everyone has a barrier of distrust, and I can't get from being a total stranger to being a friend or even an acquaintance.

I spend most of my time in my room too, and I know very well that I should be going out every day and night, meeting girls and getting rejected until I'm lucky and find one. I'm average looking so it would just be a matter of math, right? But the pain and humiliation of just the thought of being rejected by some stupid girls I don't even like, is too much for me.

You seem to me bright and articulate, I'm sure you'll be able to find the way to make things better.

I usually had at least one friend, but never in the same school (except for one year), because they were a few years younger or older. So they didn't do much for me in school.

Fortunately, I do manage to make small talk fairly easily, and get along with people, but it doesn't put me any closer to any sort of deeper connection. As I mentioned, my female friend told me others saw me as a confident, fun (and funny), and intelligent guy. It really came out of left field for me, because I feel like I'm the opposite. And if others see me like that, it creates even more of a disconnect, because of my past and feeling like I can't connect with people who can't understand that.

simplesimonette said:
I understand how you feel. Going through the same motions as everyone else but getting different results.
The people who are in my life are there because of what I can give them. I don't kid myself. There is a mutual transaction - I get company, they get my generosity. Whatever connection that comes with true friendship - the desire to be in someone's company because it's enjoyable - doesn't exist between my friends and I. I get called when they need something.
That's just the way it is for me. I can't seem to blame anyone but myself, because I am the common denominator in all my inadequate social interactions.
I wish I could tell you how to make that magical connection, but I really don't know. There is just something about me that keeps people at a distance.

I no longer take it personal though, this is just the way things are. The inability to have a close personal relationship doesn't make me feel bad. This is who I am. Being me is something I can accept without apology. I don't think it should make you feel like you're less than others. To me, being social is a skill. Some people are born with it and others have to work hard to be mediocre. Then people like me are just lacking no matter what. I don't think it defines you. Whatever is good about you is still good.

The problem I face is I can't just accept that. I can't bring myself to accept that it's just something I won't ever have, and that I'll have to keep struggling to have a place in the world and with others. Life would be so much simpler if I could just give up on it, and believe me, I've tried. But it just doesn't work. I can't give up on the desire to just have a few friends, like many other people, and have a girlfriend who I have stuff in common with and get along with and am happy with. The desire to have a place in the world.

That so many other people seem to get most or all of that without really trying (and certainly without going through what I've gone through) is what pisses me off. I've wanted nothing more than that my whole life, but it's always outside my grasp, it seems.

el Jay said:
simplesimonette said:

The problem I face is I can't just accept that. I can't bring myself to accept that it's just something I won't ever have, and that I'll have to keep struggling to have a place in the world and with others. Life would be so much simpler if I could just give up on it, and believe me, I've tried. But it just doesn't work. I can't give up on the desire to just have a few friends, like many other people, and have a girlfriend who I have stuff in common with and get along with and am happy with. The desire to have a place in the world.

That so many other people seem to get most or all of that without really trying (and certainly without going through what I've gone through) is what pisses me off. I've wanted nothing more than that my whole life, but it's always outside my grasp, it seems.

el Jay,
I'm not telling you to accept being alone, I'm telling you to accept the fact that you're not going to be like everyone else. I do believe that you will have a place in this world, just like I believe I will as well. I've never stopped trying to find good friends, I'm just aware that the way it works for others is not the way it will for me. I haven't figured out what will work for me yet, hence my inability to give you a magic formula.
I never gave up hope, but I did give up the resentment and anger. There really isn't anyone or anything to blame. So let the frustration go and focus on moving toward your goal.

simplesimonette said:
el Jay,
I'm not telling you to accept being alone, I'm telling you to accept the fact that you're not going to be like everyone else. I do believe that you will have a place in this world, just like I believe I will as well. I've never stopped trying to find good friends, I'm just aware that the way it works for others is not the way it will for me. I haven't figured out what will work for me yet, hence my inability to give you a magic formula.
I never gave up hope, but I did give up the resentment and anger. There really isn't anyone or anything to blame. So let the frustration go and focus on moving toward your goal.

Well, I don't really want to be just like everyone else. It's that I just want certain things other people seem to take for granted: a few friends, a nice relationship, and... those are the main things, honestly. I have one good friend, and that's it. But it feels like my social problems and anxiety (which are a result of my past experiences) keeps me from this, and nothing I seem to do will help.

So I guess the best way to put it is I want to experience and enjoy certain things other people get to, and it ends up feeling like it's an all or nothing thing (and I get the 'nothing' end of it). Those few things aren't things I can live without (at least without being lonely and miserable about it), and aren't things I can just give up on.

el Jay said:
simplesimonette said:
el Jay,

Well, I don't really want to be just like everyone else. It's that I just want certain things other people seem to take for granted: a few friends, a nice relationship, and... those are the main things, honestly. I have one good friend, and that's it. But it feels like my social problems and anxiety (which are a result of my past experiences) keeps me from this, and nothing I seem to do will help.

So I guess the best way to put it is I want to experience and enjoy certain things other people get to, and it ends up feeling like it's an all or nothing thing (and I get the 'nothing' end of it). Those few things aren't things I can live without (at least without being lonely and miserable about it), and aren't things I can just give up on.

I don't think you should give up on anything - my message to you is to not let the resentment and frustration overwhelm who you are.
Is the way your life is going keeping you from appreciating what you do have in life? Or does your social anxiety overshadow everything? I don't know.
My only advice is to not to dwell on the negativity and be objective about yourself and those around you.
Best of luck.

simplesimonette said:
I don't think you should give up on anything - my message to you is to not let the resentment and frustration overwhelm who you are.
Is the way your life is going keeping you from appreciating what you do have in life? Or does your social anxiety overshadow everything? I don't know.
My only advice is to not to dwell on the negativity and be objective about yourself and those around you.
Best of luck.

My problem is there isn't much in my life to appreciate. All of the setbacks and suffering I went through in school feel like they've put me back several years behind others my age. At 27, I'm still struggling to find a career that I'd enjoy, which is part of finding just something of some sort I can make a living with that I enjoy. The bullying I ended for so long at school feels like it killed off the creative, intelligent, inquisitive me I was when I was younger, and now everything just feels thoroughly "meh." Things just feel shallow or they don't intrigue me, and even if I think I enjoy something, it gets old after a few months at most.

I just don't know how to get some real sense of joy back in my life.

Sounds like you put up a wall to hide your pain so people can't see it. Which..in return..can cause pain as it is. It is definitely good to be able to express your feelings and relate to people like yourself. The nice part is, there are more people like you than you realize. I was picked on growing up as well.. but I was always shy and socially awkward because I happen to have anxiety (born with). I was more confident when I had at least one good friend in school. During my last year of school, I didn't have anyone as a friend and felt like a nobody. Other things had happened within a few years of this but it was hard switching schools twice during high school. I'm sure it's not easy for anyone, but I think it's worse when you're shy. You don't feel so alone when you find so many people such as yourself...and you can count on it... they are out there.

Okiedokes said:
Sounds like you put up a wall to hide your pain so people can't see it. Which..in return..can cause pain as it is. It is definitely good to be able to express your feelings and relate to people like yourself. The nice part is, there are more people like you than you realize. I was picked on growing up as well.. but I was always shy and socially awkward because I happen to have anxiety (born with). I was more confident when I had at least one good friend in school. During my last year of school, I didn't have anyone as a friend and felt like a nobody. Other things had happened within a few years of this but it was hard switching schools twice during high school. I'm sure it's not easy for anyone, but I think it's worse when you're shy. You don't feel so alone when you find so many people such as yourself...and you can count on it... they are out there.

I never do meet people like me, though. People I can relate to. People I feel I can actually be honest about myself and my past with. All I ever meet are "normal" people who seemed like they've lived comparatively easier lives, with more support from friends and family, and more success, than me. Anyone who I meet who's actually gone through their own hardships in the past must be shielding others from it so much that I'd think nothing was wrong. And if I let my guard down and am more open about things, it just drives people away, and still doesn't earn me any friends or allies.

I don't even know where I could look to find people I could relate to better, which I guess is one of the main reasons I joined this forum (finding it was dumb luck a while back, though I didn't join until recently). I don't even know who I could go to, or where, to find out where I could find others (like support groups or something). I've been considering seeing a doctor about some sort of anxiety medication, because my anxiety is just constantly keeping me from ever trying anything new. But I don't even know how to go about doing that much (and too scared to ask anyone who may know).

el Jay said:
Okiedokes said:

I never do meet people like me, though. People I can relate to. People I feel I can actually be honest about myself and my past with. All I ever meet are "normal" people who seemed like they've lived comparatively easier lives, with more support from friends and family, and more success, than me. Anyone who I meet who's actually gone through their own hardships in the past must be shielding others from it so much that I'd think nothing was wrong. And if I let my guard down and am more open about things, it just drives people away, and still doesn't earn me any friends or allies.

I don't even know where I could look to find people I could relate to better, which I guess is one of the main reasons I joined this forum (finding it was dumb luck a while back, though I didn't join until recently). I don't even know who I could go to, or where, to find out where I could find others (like support groups or something). I've been considering seeing a doctor about some sort of anxiety medication, because my anxiety is just constantly keeping me from ever trying anything new. But I don't even know how to go about doing that much (and too scared to ask anyone who may know).

I know the main thing is these things is to let it allll out... grieve properly, and have a plan on getting better. It's best to focus on the solution rather than the problem. It may be a good idea to seek maybe therapy for your anxiety. You can do meds with that as an option. Welcome to the site also.. I think you will enjoy it here, because there are very caring people here who listen well. And also..what's "normal" anyway? :p

el Jay said:
simplesimonette said:
Best of luck.

My problem is there isn't much in my life to appreciate. All of the setbacks and suffering I went through in school feel like they've put me back several years behind others my age. At 27, I'm still struggling to find a career that I'd enjoy, which is part of finding just something of some sort I can make a living with that I enjoy. The bullying I ended for so long at school feels like it killed off the creative, intelligent, inquisitive me I was when I was younger, and now everything just feels thoroughly "meh." Things just feel shallow or they don't intrigue me, and even if I think I enjoy something, it gets old after a few months at most.

I just don't know how to get some real sense of joy back in my life.
Most people my age don't really know what will make them happy career-wise. I don't even know what job would make me happy. I think that's just part of life - you can't know something for sure without experiencing it first. So that's something you have in common with a lot of people.
As for enduring what you've endured - I wonder if there is a way to make peace with your past.
I think seeking professional help is your best bet. I don't think that the way you deal with your past or present is helping you at all. Have you tried therapy?

Okiedokes said:
I know the main thing is these things is to let it allll out... grieve properly, and have a plan on getting better. It's best to focus on the solution rather than the problem. It may be a good idea to seek maybe therapy for your anxiety. You can do meds with that as an option. Welcome to the site also.. I think you will enjoy it here, because there are very caring people here who listen well. And also..what's "normal" anyway? :p

I don't know how I would go about getting better, aside from meds, and maybe some form of therapy. I actually did go to therapy for about a year. I guess it helped some, and it was enjoyable to talk stuff out (though I honestly didn't trust the therapist well enough to mention everything, even though I probably should have).

But someone basically gave me the email of a therapist who could help me then, and the therapist has since moved (that's why we stopped). I never followed up on other therapists that were suggested, and now I don't have their contacts anymore.

So I don't know how to even begin looking for a therapist, or how to approach finding whoever it is that diagnoses a person and prescribes meds (if they feel meds are needed; I'm more out for someone who can make that call than someone who will just toss pills at me). And I don't have anyone to ask who I feel comfortable asking about it.

simplesimonette said:
Most people my age don't really know what will make them happy career-wise. I don't even know what job would make me happy. I think that's just part of life - you can't know something for sure without experiencing it first. So that's something you have in common with a lot of people.
As for enduring what you've endured - I wonder if there is a way to make peace with your past.
I think seeking professional help is your best bet. I don't think that the way you deal with your past or present is helping you at all. Have you tried therapy?

If there's a way to make peace with my past, I don't know what it is. Because of being bullied for so long, I missed out on a lot of stuff other kids get (like being a normal teenager, having the usual ups and downs, etc). I spent that time hiding, and trying to just survive the constant bullying I encountered at school. (for responses to therapy/meds, see my response to the other poster)

Latest posts

Back