My theory on why people fail socially

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIKE

Reaction score
In order to progress socially one must be possessing a healthy mixture of these traits:

1.Good-looks /14
2.Athleticism /7
3.Charisma /9

Making the ideal case out of 30 and that is only possible in heaven. And nobody no matter how messed up he/she is can be 0. So we're all somewhere in the middle. I gave Good-looks the most significant grade because most will agree that looks matter most when it comes to social situations, followed by Charisma and Athleticism.

As I've stated before anybody and everybody is a mixture of the above, nobody can be 0 in any of them. let's assume your prom class's king/queen nominees score between 22 - 24 and those are extremely happy socially, their side-kicks and popular friends would score 18 - 22 and those also cant help but smile when they consider their social status.

Moving lower down the ladder comes the socially content, people who are not excessively happy with their social lives but can rest assured that there will always be a few a respectable friends happily available to kill time with,those would score somewhere between 14 - 18.

Moving down to the less fortunate, those guys usually have 1-3 friends at most and 10 or so acquaintances - going out with their friends isnt usually a priority, at given days they may find a dinner and a good movie at home a lot more appealing than going out with their friends. they would score 10 - 14.

Finally, the extremely lonely and unfortunate. Those poor bastards would wander around completely lonely, no friend in the world and if they did have a friend he/she would be living in another country/state and would contact him/her from time to time through msn - conversations would rarely exceed a full page. This criteria of people would most definitely be from 10 downwards.

This theory is made assuming all external factors are constant regarding all criterion, also that social skills are not something one is born with but acquires i.e. those with the higher scores will through experience have superior social skills than those with lower scores.

Unfortunately two of the three key traits - Looks and Charisma are 'god - given' and no matter how much a person tries to improve their honeysuckle social life he would only get so far if he doesn't score high enough regarding these traits.

Some may argue that the mentioned traits are not completely genetic and there is room for improvement. I agree but I would like to honestly say that any improvement made is never significant enough, removing that acne from your face( extreme cases aside) can only increase ur score by so much and will not be the transition from dark to light.

sorry for all the pessimism but that's genuinely the way I feel.

good-day!!

You forgot shyness and personality,so the theory gets blown out right there,when you don't include any personal traits.

Also, when it comes to making friends, looks and athleticism shouldn't even be on this list. When it comes to dating, people try to date up; but when it comes to friends, people like to be around people that're like themselves.

I concur with what Mary said.

And furthermore, in all honesty, I don't know anyone who goes around and makes hasty generalizations of people on the basis of how physically fit they look, how aesthetically pleasing people are to the eye, and as far as charisma is concerned, well, some people may be turned off by that. When it comes down to it, it's all based around personal preference. Like humour, it is an exclusive "only-to-you" thing.

Now when you say "looks" are you referring to the actual physical properties of the person? If so, which properties? A matter of personal preference again, but often greatly influenced by media, religion, culture, et cetera.

Or, perhaps, are you referring to one's attire? That being the case, would an obese man, one that is generally perceived by a group of individuals to be ugly (God, I hate that word), become more attractive, even to the point of being sexy, if he were in a Tux?

Some things to think about.

-Flagg

Yeah, I don't see how looks and/or body has anything to do with making friends or even simply talking to someone. Everyone is different. There is no set cause for social issues. If there was a set cause, then we'd have a set way to fix it.

I disagree, almost completely. The attributes you listed can be helpful, but I doubt they are indicators of success or failure taken on their own.

If I were to give my theory, it would be basic: The success or failure of any individual - in all areas, including socialization - can be determined by how that person feels about himself. If you feel like a failure, you're going to fail. If you are confident and happy, you can conquer anything.

Hmmm.. I was hoping to see something that made logical sense/was well thought out/where I don't have to on peyote/extremely closed minded to believe.

I have woodchuck teeth, a bulbous nose, and am pigeon toed.
I run a 15 minute mile. RUN.
I have about as much personality as a 4-week-old loaf of bread. After it's been sitting in an abandoned fish tank. Full of pond water.

WHERE ARE MY LEGIONS OF COMRADES?!

zombieslayer said:
I have woodchuck teeth, a bulbous nose, and am pigeon toed.
I run a 15 minute mile. RUN.
I have about as much personality as a 4-week-old loaf of bread. After it's been sitting in an abandoned fish tank. Full of pond water.

WHERE ARE MY LEGIONS OF COMRADES?!

Maybe you've been too picky.

In high school in my group of friends, there were ones who were pretty good looking, overweight, skinny, tomboys, nerdy, outcasts, shy, outgoing, we were a whole mix and got along great. Well until one went bananas. I gravitate towards people who are the opposite of me.

NIKE said:
In order to progress socially one must be possessing a healthy mixture of these traits:

1.Good-looks /14
2.Athleticism /7
3.Charisma /9

Making the ideal case out of 30 and that is only possible in heaven. And nobody no matter how messed up he/she is can be 0. So we're all somewhere in the middle. I gave Good-looks the most significant grade because most will agree that looks matter most when it comes to social situations, followed by Charisma and Athleticism.

As I've stated before anybody and everybody is a mixture of the above, nobody can be 0 in any of them. let's assume your prom class's king/queen nominees score between 22 - 24 and those are extremely happy socially, their side-kicks and popular friends would score 18 - 22 and those also cant help but smile when they consider their social status.

Moving lower down the ladder comes the socially content, people who are not excessively happy with their social lives but can rest assured that there will always be a few a respectable friends happily available to kill time with,those would score somewhere between 14 - 18.

Moving down to the less fortunate, those guys usually have 1-3 friends at most and 10 or so acquaintances - going out with their friends isnt usually a priority, at given days they may find a dinner and a good movie at home a lot more appealing than going out with their friends. they would score 10 - 14.

Finally, the extremely lonely and unfortunate. Those poor bastards would wander around completely lonely, no friend in the world and if they did have a friend he/she would be living in another country/state and would contact him/her from time to time through msn - conversations would rarely exceed a full page. This criteria of people would most definitely be from 10 downwards.

This theory is made assuming all external factors are constant regarding all criterion, also that social skills are not something one is born with but acquires i.e. those with the higher scores will through experience have superior social skills than those with lower scores.

Unfortunately two of the three key traits - Looks and Charisma are 'god - given' and no matter how much a person tries to improve their honeysuckle social life he would only get so far if he doesn't score high enough regarding these traits.

Some may argue that the mentioned traits are not completely genetic and there is room for improvement. I agree but I would like to honestly say that any improvement made is never significant enough, removing that acne from your face( extreme cases aside) can only increase ur score by so much and will not be the transition from dark to light.

good-day!!

I agree with you NIKE. I have seen this so much. To many people judge others from the outside and never give that person the time to show what they have inside!

Dear EVE,
I'm appauled that U constantly ignore my request of not lending out ur cookie cutter.Your lack of willingness N a desire to comply is unacceptiable whcih leaves me with little or no chioce. It is in my deepest regrets to inform you inorder for our relationship to sustain N furrish , I now must pimp you out...
I feel the experince will imrpove N enrich the quality of our lives. It will be a great opportunity for u to polish ur communications N people skills.
it will also provide me with extra income. Revenue will spent to buy my freindship with people. This way I can tell them all to kiss my ass.
Yours truley,
The Rocket
P.S.....Please tattoo "charmers" on both of ur nipples.It'll be a great reminder of ur god given talents. Ur selfless service to humanity will be much appricated.

NIKE said:

1.Good-looks /14
2.Athleticism /7
3.Charisma /9

good-day!!

You are CORRECT, my friend, but here's the good news....

NO NEED TO BE PESSIMISTIC ABOUT IT!

To succeed socially you need 4 things:

1) Money
2) Social Capital
3) Muscle
4) Good Looks

And EACH of these four things is obtainable if YOU are willing to put in the effort, let me explain. It's all up to YOU.

1) You get money by working. If you're not making enough, work more. Start up a side business. Be smart. It's important to get money so you can buy things when you need them.
2) Social capital (aka POPULARITY or charisma) is extremely hard to build when you are shy. The easiest way is to just spread yourself around, doing things for people if they do it back. You just need to look people in the eye, treat them with respect, while being tough and standing up for yourself which brings us to....
3) .... muscle! Hit the bench press and the bicep curls. Take a martial arts class. Get involved with marksmanship and wilderness survival. Be the tough guy that NO ONE wants to mess with. Once you ARE the tough guy, no need to prove anything, and you can treat people with kindness and be everyone's favorite guy.
4) As a friend from a different site says, looks are made not given. Once you have your muscles and your money, go treat yourself to a fly, sharp wardrobe and haircut. This is the easiest part.

I would look into reading Machiavelli's "The Prince". Learn how to be loved and feared simultaneously. Do that, and you will never fail socially again.

Best of luck to you, buddy.

NIKE...I can prove you wrong...show me someone with none of those 3 but a willingness to throw back a few cocktails at a crowded bar- and I guarantee you that person will find a way in his/her buzzed state to make an acquaintance or 2 that night.

I have personally seen this happen with an old friend of mine. We were out one night, and he said to me..."How come whenever we come to this bar together, all of the people working there say hi to you- and noone ever says a thing to me".

My answer to him was..."Because I say hi to EVERYONE I see each and everytime we come here. Some of them just flat-out ignore me, but I say hi to them anyway. So now...when we come here- they all no me, and they don't know me because you never take the time to say hi to them".

This is almost so simple it's silly...but I don't mean to make light of it by saying it's silly. Anyway- hopefully you get my point.

I'd be happy to help someone do this for themselves...let me know.

Oops...typed too fast...what I meant was:

"So now...when we come here- they all KNOW me, and they don't know YOU because you never take the time to say hi to them".

BUFFALOBT said:
NIKE...I can prove you wrong...show me someone with none of those 3 but a willingness to throw back a few cocktails at a crowded bar- and I guarantee you that person will find a way in his/her buzzed state to make an acquaintance or 2 that night.

I have personally seen this happen with an old friend of mine. We were out one night, and he said to me..."How come whenever we come to this bar together, all of the people working there say hi to you- and noone ever says a thing to me".

My answer to him was..."Because I say hi to EVERYONE I see each and everytime we come here. Some of them just flat-out ignore me, but I say hi to them anyway. So now...when we come here- they all no me, and they don't know me because you never take the time to say hi to them".

This is almost so simple it's silly...but I don't mean to make light of it by saying it's silly. Anyway- hopefully you get my point.

I'd be happy to help someone do this for themselves...let me know.

Oops...typed too fast...what I meant was:

"So now...when we come here- they all KNOW me, and they don't know YOU because you never take the time to say hi to them".

I totally agree. Dating is another story, but when it comes to making friends, those things don't matter. However, you do need to have a somewhat engaging personality, but that can be developed.

I guess @ this junction of my life..
its relative just a chioce to me N I as hell dont carry a charming meter around. I have crap loads of theories N ideas floating around too. My brain is designed to put this honeysuckle over there N that crap over here..
Making it easy on myself these dayz...I put everybody in the fucken retarded section.fresia it one cookie cutter is all i need today.lmao
Idk..its basic pyhcology or science that anything experiment or theory while being proven is set within a control enviorment or perimeter
At the same time you can also achive whatever results you want..simply put in data to fix the results..

In otjer words... shoot a fucken arrow into the sky then paint a target around it.
Whatever gose in the OP head is whatever gose in his head...it donst mean its true or reality or anyone else. Hence its just his theory or ideas. It might be true for him and his reality..

So hes not wrong..for him. His perceptions of life @ his curremt experince. awearness or consiousness.

SocratesX said:

1) Money
2) Social Capital
3) Muscle
4) Good Looks

Money - Wrong.
Social Capital - Wrong.
Muscle - Wrong.
Good Looks - Wrong.

I have none of those, and I have a good social life. Plenty of friends.

SocratesX said:
I would look into reading Machiavelli's "The Prince". Learn how to be loved and feared simultaneously. Do that, and you will never fail socially again.

you do know how machiavelli ended up, right? tortured and exiled from power?

being a conniving, manipulatative, powerhungry tyrant is no way to secure a successful social life. unless you live in prison.

VanillaCreme said:
SocratesX said:

1) Money
2) Social Capital
3) Muscle
4) Good Looks

Money - Wrong.
Social Capital - Wrong.
Muscle - Wrong.
Good Looks - Wrong.

I have none of those, and I have a good social life. Plenty of friends.

I was addressing MEN when I made this speech.

Latest posts

Back