New "friend" is giving me the silent treatment

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyYogi

Reaction score
I can't believe it! I am okay, calm, etc but I can't believe my new pal is suddenly giving me the "ice".

In the last two months or so I've developed a friendship with a 60 year old neighbor. She had a very interesting and strong personality. Very academic. While I would not say she was my best bud (there are differences...one of which she is a man hating feminist and I am vegan) but I enjoyed her very much. She also started walking my dogs (I'd pay her) and she loved doing it. She was really good to them and we also were working on parking issues on our street. So I was happy to have this "friend" to chit chat with.

She even sent me 197 text messages within one month! She loved to text and it was fun to do so.

Suddenly, she is not texting me anymore like in the past. And when I do text her her answers are short and curt. I asked her what is wrong, did I upset her? She curtly says "not upset". No warmth, mo friendliness, just "I am busy" (something she never said before). I told her in a nice way "Okay, but if you are upset at me you need to tell me so I can stop being confused". She didn't agree just curtly said "not upset". This is unlike her for she is usually chatty Kathy.

I just can't believe someone of her age, 60, and intelligence could be pulling this *rap. I can't believe that one day she is nice and friendly and now she is cold. Just like that. I have a feeling she is trying to "punish" me for something. Ick.

It makes me wonder if I'll ever make a real friend. Well, scratch that. I do have a couple of real friends....both men. But it's just so disappointing when someone turns on you like that leaving you confused and bewildered.

It is *exactly* what my sisters did to me. Give me the "cold" treatment. When I got the message I asked, sincerely, what is wrong, did I offend, etc. And, of course, they don't give you the courtesy of telling you the truth.

I just hate that. I think it's cruel and immature. This woman who is doing it to me is a brillant academic but obviously her emotional maturity leaves little to be desired!

After I left the ball in her court, I am pulling back of course. I won't put up with such silliness. If she can't get the courage to tell me I can't help her. It's not fair and it's very stupid. I really thought she was better than that. Just disappointed people can be so hot and cold.

HappyYogi said:
I can't believe it! I am okay, calm, etc but I can't believe my new pal is suddenly giving me the "ice".

In the last two months or so I've developed a friendship with a 60 year old neighbor. She had a very interesting and strong personality. Very academic. While I would not say she was my best bud (there are differences...one of which she is a man hating feminist and I am vegan) but I enjoyed her very much. She also started walking my dogs (I'd pay her) and she loved doing it. She was really good to them and we also were working on parking issues on our street. So I was happy to have this "friend" to chit chat with.

She even sent me 197 text messages within one month! She loved to text and it was fun to do so.

Suddenly, she is not texting me anymore like in the past. And when I do text her her answers are short and curt. I asked her what is wrong, did I upset her? She curtly says "not upset". No warmth, mo friendliness, just "I am busy" (something she never said before). I told her in a nice way "Okay, but if you are upset at me you need to tell me so I can stop being confused". She didn't agree just curtly said "not upset". This is unlike her for she is usually chatty Kathy.

I just can't believe someone of her age, 60, and intelligence could be pulling this *rap. I can't believe that one day she is nice and friendly and now she is cold. Just like that. I have a feeling she is trying to "punish" me for something. Ick.

It makes me wonder if I'll ever make a real friend. Well, scratch that. I do have a couple of real friends....both men. But it's just so disappointing when someone turns on you like that leaving you confused and bewildered.

It is *exactly* what my sisters did to me. Give me the "cold" treatment. When I got the message I asked, sincerely, what is wrong, did I offend, etc. And, of course, they don't give you the courtesy of telling you the truth.

I just hate that. I think it's cruel and immature. This woman who is doing it to me is a brillant academic but obviously her emotional maturity leaves little to be desired!

After I left the ball in her court, I am pulling back of course. I won't put up with such silliness. If she can't get the courage to tell me I can't help her. It's not fair and it's very stupid. I really thought she was better than that. Just disappointed people can be so hot and cold.

it might not be about you. She may be upset about something else. She could be depressed or found out she is ill.

I would stop texting her for awhile and see what happens. Give her some space. Let her come to you.

I don't think it's something else as in the past she told me about everything. And I know she is socializing with someone else.

Yes, I am actually OK about it and stepping back...just can't believe how people can be.

duff said:
HappyYogi said:

it might not be about you. She may be upset about something else. She could be depressed or found out she is ill.

I would stop texting her for awhile and see what happens. Give her some space. Let her come to you.

Maybe she has taken something you have said, something small, the wrong way? It is hard to know what will hurt someone else-sometimes I have said something which, to me, was an innocent and inoffensive remark, but which someone has taken the wrong way and become angry or cold with me. From the sound of it, you will have to leave her to sort herself out and hopefully one day she will come round and your friendship can resume.

Latest posts

Back