One crazy psychologist

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alonewith2cats

Reaction score
There is a psychologist and her name is Virginia Satir. She's kind of weird. She came up with this quote "You need 4 hugs a day for survival, 8 hugs a day for maintenance and 12 hugs a day for growth." I think that's really excessive. She's a nut and she shouldn't be encouraging people to behave in such a needy manner when plenty of people survive just fine on less than one per month. And she came up with this silly song too. Virginia, get a life.

I can't decide if that was absolutely hilarious or utterly terrifying. She is a qualified psychologist? Like, a people psychologist? You'd think there would be some kind of psychological screening for these people. I guess they'll let anyone practice.

Utterly terrifying. Especially the song! My Psychologist suggested a really nice therapy last time I saw him. He advised me to hang out in night-clubs and get pissed. Seriously!

Alonewith2cats said:
There is a psychologist and her name is Virginia Satir. She's kind of weird. She came up with this quote "You need 4 hugs a day for survival, 8 hugs a day for maintenance and 12 hugs a day for growth." I think that's really excessive. She's a nut and she shouldn't be encouraging people to behave in such a needy manner when plenty of people survive just fine on less than one per month. And she came up with this silly song too. Virginia, get a life.

I didn't watch the video, but what's so wrong about someone trying to make someone feel better? I mean, perhaps someone got some help out of this (somehow), or in the very least a tiny ounce of joy in this bitter, forsaken world created by greed and vengeance, and tied to future generations for centuries of torture to come.

Honestly though, I wouldn't take anything of the sort seriously, but maybe it made someone smile.

VanillaCreme said:
Alonewith2cats said:

I didn't watch the video, but what's so wrong about someone trying to make someone feel better? I mean, perhaps someone got some help out of this (somehow), or in the very least a tiny ounce of joy in this bitter, forsaken world created by greed and vengeance, and tied to future generations for centuries of torture to come.

Honestly though, I wouldn't take anything of the sort seriously, but maybe it made someone smile.

Actually I'm not against her prescription. I'm jealous. If the opportunity was available to me I would be milking it.

Shut_Out said:
"Hugs are better than drugs."

Sorry, I just had to say it! :D

Hugs are are drug. Your brain produces a naturally occurring one called oxytocin every time you hug someone or are physically close to someone in some way and it makes you feel good. It's actually essential to a person's emotional well being. I also want to add that it doesn't matter from what kind of relationship it is, if you don't have a significant other, give hugs to your friends and family.

hugs are the best, but song + graphics don't make me feel like hugging this doctor (doctor?)

Ooops, I should have done more research. Yes, that is her famous quote but she has been dead since 1988. She was a family psychotherapist.

Alonewith2cats said:
she has been dead since 1988.

Of course death is never I nice thing, but I think I'll be sleeping a little easier tonight.

Alonewith2cats said:
Hugs are are drug. Your brain produces a naturally occurring one called oxytocin every time you hug someone or are physically close to someone in some way and it makes you feel good. It's actually essential to a person's emotional well being. I also want to add that it doesn't matter from what kind of relationship it is, if you don't have a significant other, give hugs to your friends and family.

True... :)

Many researches are not applicable and are pure marketing stupidity or to do something for the sake of doing it..

The hugs thing is one of those things. It will make people who dont have them feel bad cause it says you should have them. Any proper psychologist would agree that it is also complete bull..otherwise half of the human population would already commit suicide. I received maybe 10 hugs in my entire 21 years of existence and am still alive.

A lot of psychologists are subjective, burn out or whatever..everything that has a science brand doesnt mean its a proper one. I study psychology and can tell you that a lot of those shits are pure subjective wishing thinking of one or a few psychologists.

Also bear in mind that the whole psychology thing is a theory..everything there is a theory, some is more applicable than other but still...nothing is 100% true

Runciter said:
Alonewith2cats said:

Of course death is never I nice thing, but I think I'll be sleeping a little easier tonight.

let's hope that where she is now is filled with teddy bears

Peaches said:
Runciter said:
Alonewith2cats said:

...which she is hugging like some hug-crazed addict.

I do love hugging, and I get at least one a week, but in the meantime, I'm just going to keep hugging my pillow that loves me unconditionally. Does this sound as sad as I think it does?

that's why groups are the best, you can easily get 5 to 10 hugs for the price of one (metaphorically speaking)

Sarah_Lbnz said:
Peaches said:
Runciter said:
Alonewith2cats said:

...which she is hugging like some hug-crazed addict.

I do love hugging, and I get at least one a week, but in the meantime, I'm just going to keep hugging my pillow that loves me unconditionally. Does this sound as sad as I think it does?

I have the same problem. I get less than one hug per month so I hug my pillow.

I need a hug at least once a day.

Cerebralis said:
Many researches are not applicable and are pure marketing stupidity or to do something for the sake of doing it..

The hugs thing is one of those things. It will make people who dont have them feel bad cause it says you should have them. Any proper psychologist would agree that it is also complete bull..otherwise half of the human population would already commit suicide. I received maybe 10 hugs in my entire 21 years of existence and am still alive.

A lot of psychologists are subjective, burn out or whatever..everything that has a science brand doesnt mean its a proper one. I study psychology and can tell you that a lot of those shits are pure subjective wishing thinking of one or a few psychologists.

Also bear in mind that the whole psychology thing is a theory..everything there is a theory, some is more applicable than other but still...nothing is 100% true

I would say only getting 10 hugs in two decades is a bit off...

I cut my hair myself because I can't stand to be touched by people I hardly know. (And of course hairdressers tend to talk a lot and not always the most interesting stuff). To be hugged by "n'importe qui" would send me instantly into the funny farm. This so called psychologist must be ...nuts. Yes, I guess the world is a safer place since she huggled away.

Some people drink a sherry at christmas and nothing else the rest of the year. Some people drink Super Tennents and White Lightning from the moment they wake up to the moment they pass out. Why should hugs be any different?

Latest posts

Back