Over the counter antidepressants.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started buying this (5HTP) stuff about a year ago. You can get it at walmart. I personally think it helps a little. But I can't be certain if it's just me being better or this stuff doing it for me. When I really must have energy I take this stuff with b12 and niacin. That works decently. Sometimes I'll down a spoonfull of coconut oil too. Coconut oil gives me tons of energy. I have jars and jars of the stuff. Only downside is it moves through you like coffee.

Here's what other users have to say about 5htp. It's not too expensive to try too.

I take folic acid too but I honestly don't feel like that does anything. A lot of foods are fortified with folic acid so I'm probably just not deficient in the first place. Its cheap as fresia so it's not really a pain to buy. Also vitamin D3 because apparently it helps everything. I don't feel much different but I'm sure it's doing something. The science is there. The capsules look like little yellow balls of sunshine.

I wouldn't recommend taking anything like antidepressants over the counter without consulting your physician first.

Peaches said:
must say that after taking vitamin D I feel much more cheerful for a couple of days, and I would support the folic acid,

WOW! I will increase my dosage of Vitamin D. How many units a day is OK?

kamya said:
I started buying this (5HTP)

Thanks -- will have to try that.

TheRealCallie said:
It's older, but here's an article that talks about supplements that help with depression. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, though.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/06/11/supplements.for.depression/

Thanks alot -- will study all these medicines.

vng2015 said:
Peaches said:
must say that after taking vitamin D I feel much more cheerful for a couple of days, and I would support the folic acid,

WOW! I will increase my dosage of Vitamin D. How many units a day is OK?

It's different for every person. If you really want to know exactly how much then you can go take a blood test and have them tell you how much is a good dose for you. The infograph suggests 4,000 IU/day is good though. And make sure it's D3.

Peaches said:
I think the key is the dosage that must be high enough

That's why it's said that being in the sun can make you happy. Your skin absorbs Vitamin D from the sun.

VanillaCreme said:
That's why it's said that being in the sun can make you happy. Your skin absorbs Vitamin D from the sun.

I do not have a portable computer for Internet access, thus I stay at home mostly.

This goes to everyone, please stop giving medical advice on drugs for depression. You all should have read this before posting but here's a reminder. What works for you may not work for everyone, even over the counter medication.

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=32943

Please talk to a medical professional before taking any drugs for depression.

Peaches said:

check this out http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/orthomolecular-anxiety-depression.htm

Hm, vitamin D. Cheerful for couple of days. And after? ;)
I'm taking my antidepressants, and they don't help me lot, I'm still depressive.
I could try with vitamin D.

And that link you gave, uh, so much text ...

vng2015 said:
Does anyone have any suggestion?

I live in Croatia, we have plant-based antidepressants which you could take in farmacy without prescription. But, it can't help if your depression is serious.

Latest posts

Back