person as emergency contact

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oodelally

Reaction score
I have been filling out a form for an elective in an overseas country at the end of this year, and have been asked for an emergency contact and realise I dont really have anyone to fulfill that role for me...

this seems bad......

is anyone else in this position?

Oodelally said:
I have been filling out a form for an elective in an overseas country at the end of this year, and have been asked for an emergency contact and realise I dont really have anyone to fulfill that role for me...

this seems bad......

Yes but they must hear it more then i would have expected because so far none of the places that i have had to tell that i have none, found it to be any problem. Last week at a doctors office the lady there did check to make sure that it was right but accepted it when i told her it was. My work place also has it listed as 'none'.

Oodelally said:

Very much so.
The relatives I'd previously given as emergency contacts are dead or estranged (or too far away to be of use).
The remaining 'friends' (using the term loosely) are either too distant, too disinterested, or otherwise incapable of being useful contacts. I've appointed one distant friend that way, but am really uneasy about what would happen in a real emergency.

It's a sad aspect of not having enough close connections with people.

landlord perhaps? maybe just explain your situation to a neighbor? I'm sure they'd be glad to oblige.

Your employer. Your employer will need to know..if you're missing.lol
Incase you get into an accident on your way to work or from work.
My office manager had to go looking for me..they put out a missing person report even...lmao
I went AWOL or missing in action for a week......long story :p

Any relatives. A distant cousin. Try looking up your family tree.

Or a close friend of the family.

Or maybe a parent of one of your friends while you were growning up.

If worst comes to worst..I'll put my childhood friend's mom to contact..She's more responsible than my friend.:p
I was her second son to her when i was growning up or her home was like my second home.

Someone you'll put in your will or life insurance.

Errr...I sure the hell wouldn't put my ex-gf or ex-wf to contact for my benifit..that's for sure.
The fucken bitches probably won't pull the plug on my ass if i was brain dead.....
Or probably make me stay fucken plugged in long enough to suffer to cut my balls off then pull the plug to collect the money.
I ma write on my will that both of the bitches get to inherate all my freaken bills :p

Depressing, but read on if you like:

The (ultimate) purpose of an emergency contact is to have someone decide what to do with you if you're unable to make decisions for yourself (e.g. bad accident, illness), or what to do with your body in the worst case.

Your landlord or employer, as suggested, isn't interested in playing that role - in fact, they're usually the ones who want the emergency contact for you.

In a worst-case scenario, make it your lawyer. Mine has my will and other instructions. The hospital (or funeral home) does the rest.

Hate to be so blunt, but that's how it really is (esp. when nobody else cares).

I just have my parents listed as mine. Not sure who else I'd have named. ^^;

I can always use my brother for "emergency contact." What I mostly have trouble with is "references," since family members are normally excluded from the possibilities.

I hate having to fill that part of applications in. But I would rather put any name there then for the person to confront me about leaving it blank and making me feel embarrased.

Latest posts

Back