Platonic love?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiftyFiveFeet

Reaction score
So I am madly in love with someone, but in a completely non-sexual, non-romantic way, and it makes no sense to me.  

I'm talking butterflies in your stomach, can't put together simple sentences, can't-get-them-out-of-my-mind in love.  Despite these feelings, and the fact that I find this person physically attractive (and she is of the gender I'm typically attracted to), I have zero sexual feelings toward her.  I'm in a loveless marriage, in case that matters.  The most intimate physical desire I have is to cuddle up with her under a warm blanket on a cold night (clothes on).

This is totally new for me, feelings of lust have always preceded feelings of love for me, regardless of how the relationship started.  In this instance, I skipped lust completely.

It's worth mentioning, this is the only supportive person in my life right now.  I don't speak to my family, I don't have any other people I would call friends, and, as mentioned, loveless marriage. 

Has anyone else experienced this before??? Am I having an emotional affair???

Just to fill in some obvious questions: Yes, she knows how I feel.  No, it doesn't freak her out.  The feeling is sort of reciprocal (obviously it's a complicated situation).

Latest posts

Back