Poll

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJosher24

Reaction score
Is there any way to be by oneself without feeling lonely? I mean, without feeling any negative emotions? Would anyone on here want that kind of life?

I dread being alone for the rest of my life. However, there are a lot of people who are alone all their lives and who are happy that way. One of my friends who is also alone likes having the freedom to come and go, without having to answer to anyone, while I find it crushingly empty and lonely. We are all different, so what suits one will not suit another.

I think it depends on a lot...if you have a healthy self-esteem and enjoy the way you live your life, like hobbies, job, friends, routines etc...then yes, you can be by yourself and not be lonely. I've been alone for eons and sure, I get lonely because I want affection and romance in my life now, but I didn't for a long time and I was okay with it. I actually craved my solitude after coming home from work. I guess back then all the socializing I needed was found on the job. But if you're the type, like I am now, who wants someone in your life, then being alone, despite having a balanced life...can still be lonely.

Montreal Skye said:
I think it depends on a lot...if you have a healthy self-esteem and enjoy the way you live your life, like hobbies, job, friends, routines etc...then yes, you can be by yourself and not be lonely. I've been alone for eons and sure, I get lonely because I want affection and romance in my life now, but I didn't for a long time and I was okay with it. I actually craved my solitude after coming home from work. I guess back then all the socializing I needed was found on the job. But if you're the type, like I am now, who wants someone in your life, then being alone, despite having a balanced life...can still be lonely.

depends what you mean by alone.

if it means 'single', no partner then i think however bad that sounds I cope with it

if alone means having no friends or even contact with people then that would be horrible. My life when I never worked and went days without talking to anybody was awfull

Tiina63 said:
I dread being alone for the rest of my life. However, there are a lot of people who are alone all their lives and who are happy that way. One of my friends who is also alone likes having the freedom to come and go, without having to answer to anyone, while I find it crushingly empty and lonely. We are all different, so what suits one will not suit another.
I agree.

As in completely alone, or just romantically?

Completely alone, no, I don't think it's possible to be that way and not be miserable.

Romantically? I don't know, I suppose so. I'm 23 and have always wanted a relationship with no luck, and it eats at me just about every day and it's a massive roadblock to my personal happiness. And everyone I know in real life who's in a similar situation as me kind of feels the same way from what I can tell.

But everyone's different. Relationships can be stressful. They pretty much always end at one point or another. I've had people tell me they aren't worth it at all. But those are mostly people that have been burned, and then they usually end up going and finding another relationship at some point anyways.

So for someone like me, who has never even experienced it...no. I'll always be miserable and that's a huge reason why. Everyone's different. But I think the only way you could accept having no romance/opposite sex attraction for the rest of your life is if you've been burned enough times to just say "fresia it". The yearning, and wondering what it would be like is enough to drive a person like me insane. I don't know that it is possible.

TheJosher24 said:
Is there any way to be by oneself without feeling lonely? I mean, without feeling any negative emotions? Would anyone on here want that kind of life?

I think that there is a difference between loneliness and happiness. You can be happy being by yourself, but still be lonely... maybe? lol. I mean, I'm not so sure loneliness has to have negative feelings attached to it, it just "is". How about the word "desire" ? Do you see that as a positive or negative emotion? I can see how it can be looked at as either positive or negative... to desire something is to want to have it. If you desire to see other people happy, then that is a pretty positive emotion. However, I also can see desire as a bad thing... if you desire a new television with such fervor that it eats up all of your thoughts and time, then that would be a negative thing, as it would be interefering with your life... so, desire then could be either positive or negative, just as loneliness can be either positive or negative, depending on how you are viewing it and how it is affecting your other thought patterns.

But, would I want to be lonely my whole life? nah, no thank you.

I think being alone would probably be more enjoyable to person who has at least been in a relationship before.
I've never been in one, but going by what I have strongly observed...it looks very overrated,shitty,and expensive.
Also, there are studies of people who suffer from loneliness and surprisingly, it can affect your lifespan. I always thought a single person would be healthier than someone who's in a relationship. I may be wrong on that one though, but it's something to look into. Don't feel bad about it though. A lot of us aren't in relationships,and just think of how you'd feel if the relationship didn't go so well. At least you still have yourself. You always will. That's why it's good to at least get to know who you are before you even decide to date. Of course, there's a chance of you meeting someone that will change your life, but it's not very likely.
It's not like the movies. Fairy-tales are fairy-tales. They're just made up.

i'm a loner by nature so loneliness is something i don't feel. i've been living by myself for 10 years and regularly go several months at a time without having a conversation with anyone. it's not that i don't enjoy talking to someone, it's just that i don't need to. having said that there are some times though when i feel alone, bad times, and those times i have a good friend who i can talk with. i enjoy the freedom to be able to do what i want when i want so for me there is almost no downside to the way i live but it's not the life most people could cope with. you need to have a very strong loner side to you

TheJosher24 said:

Yes, this is definitely possible, but you will find that you won't be alone for long if you have that attitude. :)

Latest posts

Back