Prog Rock

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaningIntoTheMuse

Reaction score
Anybody else as into prog rock as I am?

Genesis, Yes, Spock's Beard, Rush, King Crimson, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Tool, Glass Hammer, Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Muse, The Mars Volta, Gong, Gentle Giant, ELP, Jethro Tull, to name a few.

Never really been into prog rock, I know peole bang on about Pink Floyd and I'll listen to it but can't say I've ever been blown away by it. Later Radiohead is quite prog rock I guess and again I like it to a point but I much prefer their earlier stuff, think they have disappeared up their own arse recently! ;)

I have an appreciation for all types of music, but prog will always be my favorite.

Iron Maiden is also prog metal, in case you like them. I consider them prog rock, always have.

Yeah I'm a pretty big fan of Genesis/Phil Collins. Also Tool, Rush, Radiohead, and Dream Theater. I'm not exactly sure what progressive rock is but I'm a fan of those groups. I'll take a listen to some of the others you posted.

Edit- Not a fan of Muse though. I don't understand what is so great about them. A lot of people like them though.

kamya, check out Prog Archives (google it if you can't find it.) It is a listing of all sorts of prog bands, sorted by genres, and has a forum and chatroom and review section.

I post there occasionally, but the site has gotten so big that sometimes I am overwhelmed! I remember when it started, it was just a bunch of lines on a screen.

Just to say, 70's Gong is just as good as Pink Floyd! I am listening to Shamal, and astounded at how good this music is.

kamya said:
Yeah I'm a pretty big fan of Genesis/Phil Collins. Also Tool, Rush, Radiohead, and Dream Theater. I'm not exactly sure what progressive rock is but I'm a fan of those groups. I'll take a listen to some of the others you posted.

Edit- Not a fan of Muse though. I don't understand what is so great about them. A lot of people like them though.

I like these bands + Iron Maiden, Muse and ELP.

I saw Dream Theater open for Iron Maiden in 2010. One of the best concerts of my life.

Also saw Marillion live, with Steve Hogarth, on the Marbles tour. A small and intimate venue, and one I remember vividly, because they haven't toured down here since then!

One that i came across only a few years ago is the Romanian group Phoenix. They play a mixture of prog, rock and traditional music.

[align=center][video=youtube]

I'm into prog and a few of those bands. I saw DT in concert in 2009 with Zappa plays zappa. I saw Liquid Tension experiment in 2008. I saw Jethro Tull in 2010.

I would kill to see Jethro Tull in concert!

I did see Robert Fripp open for Porcupine Tree, and that was pretty awesome. He just did his ambient stuff...but dude. It's Robert Fripp!

I almost saw the full King Crimson live in 2003, but got the concert dates wrong, and when I went to go buy tickets they were sold out.

Listening to Riverside right now....some of their stuff mellows me out. If you like Porcupine Tree, you'd probably like Riverside.

JT was great that time. I ended up getting a ticket through a former boyfriend, it was because him and his brother both enjoyed that kind of music, and his brother's girlfriend canceled last minute. Ian's voice is not what it used to be, that's all.

I love Riverside. I have 3 of their albums...had more, but my computer crashed.

I am also heavily into Blackfield, No-Man, and nosound. There was also a side project, where the lead musician of nosound got together with Tim Bowness from No-Man. A brilliant album that was.

I also like the popular ones, like Tool, The Flaming Lips, and The Mars Volta. Tool especially. I wish they'd come out with a fifth studio album.

I also really like Renaissance, even the poppy stuff they've done.

When it comes to Progressive Rock, I've never ventured any further than Jethro Tull, Rush, Styx, Yes, Uriah Heep, Focus, and Pink Floyd. Perhaps this coming spring I will get back into discovering more music. I know there are virtually millions of unknown/undiscovered progressive and experimental groups out there from the 70s alone. It's kind of like exploring a different universe, which is exciting with any expansive genre.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
I saw Dream Theater open for Iron Maiden in 2010. One of the best concerts of my life.

Also saw Marillion live, with Steve Hogarth, on the Marbles tour. A small and intimate venue, and one I remember vividly, because they haven't toured down here since then!

Sorry to bump an old thread, I went to see Marillion last week, haven't missed them when they play here, for the last 5-6 years!

Went tot he gig on my own, as for the life of me can't meet any real life Marillion fans so nice to hear someone mention them on here!

I adore prog rock, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Tool and Porcupine Tree are my gods, but I love almost any band you mentioned, Muse. ;)

Love it. Always willing to give a prog band a listen, although I'm odd about which ones I like. Been listening to Tull since I was a kid, seen them 3 or 4 times. Discovered King Crimson in my twenties, never got to see them but have seen Adrian Belew several times and met him (he's probably my favorite musician ever.) Love some other old classics like Floyd, Yes, etc. I consider Tool prog rock and love any band/project Maynard is involved with.
I like other kinds of music just as well, but sometimes prog rock is the ultimate fix.
Just wish there were more females into it. Doesn't bother me as much now that I'm older, but I always felt like a freak being the only girl in the crowd when I was younger and got really sick of other women thinking I was totally weird for liking that stuff!