Prom.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geordy70

Reaction score
So heres the deal.

My family consist of 3 girls, 1 mom and 2 girls who are freshmen in high school.

They allways bug me about going to prom, and every time i told them im not going to go, not sure if im making the right choice or not but i honestly dont have anything to look forward to. When they bugged me enough i just told them that ill go.

Their first question then is "Who are you taking then?"

I told them im just going to go alone and they act like i just shot them. Then they get into a big fuss and try to think about who i should ask.

I didnt even bother to tell them that i dont even have any friends to go with either, because im scared what they might do. Heck, im even scared what they are going to do about the date thing.

I dont see the reason why i should go when i dont have any friends to go with or any dates to bring, i tell them that and they say that it would be better to say that i went instead of not knowing what it was like.

But i find that to be BS, because i'd rather not know what it was like. In the end its just going to be another reason to add to my depression. just another day in life, isnt it?

Please help me understand the concept of "going to prom"

So that Jaimie Lee Curtis can have her classmates drop like flies around her and satisfy the needs of a manical killer.

I wasn't sure about going to my high school prom either, I hated going to dances cause I never had a date. I did have female friends to go with though and that's who I ended up going to prom with as well. I'm glad I went, it was fun.

Prom is a bigger deal for girls, I have no idea why maybe one of the ladies can chime in on that. To me it's just a overblown dance where everyone has to dress up real nice and dance badly. Some guys just see it as a day to bag their girlfriend. It's stupid really, but looking back on mine, even though it was poorly put together and sucked, it was a lot of fun.

I remember back in the day when I was in school.
I was asked out to the prom my junior year. I turned the offer down. I didn't see a reason to waste a bunch of money on a dance. Especially one where people go and then break up. *laughs*

Me and a couple of friends were always the outcasts, never had girlfriends or anything in school. We went to the prom as friends and had our own private after party. I truly don't see what the point is, I couldn't care less. Even reunions are garbage, it is just a competition on who have made it big in life, or lie on how big they have made it, and guess what? All those jocks and cool kids that was so popular? They were all washouts, overweight, wife’s left them and took most of what they owned I know I was there and had a blast that day laughing inside at all these morons who thought they were better than me at one time. I at least had a university education, was doing better than them in life and yes I went to my reunion alone too. I doubt I will go to my 20 year one in a few years; I've outgrown the need to prove myself to any of them.

So I would say if you are never going to see any of them again after Prom, why go if you do not want to? You have nothing to prove to any of them, and your choices you make are yours, nobody else's.

we do not have proms here, i'm not from the USA, but we did have a celebration of our graduation similar to a prom. only without that "who are you taking?"-concept. everybody came by themselves and hung out with his or her normal friends.

i like that concept. american proms are so full of expectations and things you have to do. everytime i talk to someone about it, the most important thing was "who was your date?". "who was prom-queen?". like its a big dating-fest. if you do not have friends who will be there and you dont have a date, so dont go. its just another party. standign around there on your own having a bad time is not a good thing.

dont go just because somebody (your sisters) want you to. if you go, do it because YOU want to.

The only good thing about prom for guys is you usually get to have sex(possibly lose your virginity) with your girlfriend if you haven't already. I didn't go to mines because I was pretty much to poor to afford it and didn't have a date either.

Anten said:
The only good thing about prom for guys is you usually get to have sex(possibly lose your virginity) with your girlfriend if you haven't already. I didn't go to mines because I was pretty much to poor to afford it and didn't have a date either.

Thats the last bit of advice i think anyone on this forums needs, Dont raise anyones expectations please. If the only reason to go to prom is to get laid then you shouldnt deserve a date in the first place.

Some of you are so unrealistic- concerns about the cost, maybe a date, possibly even getting laid- I'm waaaaay more concerned about the crazy b*****d who wants to impale/slice people with sharp pointy objects.

Prom can be fun if you go with someone you enjoy being around. I didn't go to mine, so I don't get the whole thing.

geordy70 said:
Anten said:

Thats the last bit of advice i think anyone on this forums needs, Dont raise anyones expectations please. If the only reason to go to prom is to get laid then you shouldnt deserve a date in the first place.

I was just being frank about Prom. People just go to show off and hook up with there Prom date.

Well it doesnt seem like im obliged to go to this prom thing, after all there is still a grad night after prom so i think i will just go to that instead to say good bye to everyone. It seems more fitting than wasting my time going to a dance thats just a bit better than average.

Thank you guys for your advice on the subject.

We had prom at my school and hooking up with someone else never seemed to be that much of a thing. Although a lot of people did go as couples many just went in groups of friends (Like myself, went with my best friend) or with no romantic ties (I do however live in the UK, don't know how this relates to yourself)

I find that girls tend to have a much more positive view on prom and have greater expectations from it (This is generalizing of course, not eve girl I know thinks this) and Males tend to have a much more pessimistic view on the event, adopting a much more apathetic stance. I myself went into the event quite open minded and with no particular expectations of it being good or bad and as a result i really enjoyed it.

Minds are like a parachute, they get the most out of them when they are open! :)

i am :S about it allso but we dont call it prom tho :/
more like a ferwell...

i have no one to take with me so idk...
i want to go but i also dont want to go

i dont want to sit there all by myself..

and all that money for one night (eek)

I went to prom, and it wasn't as great as people make it out to be. I think it's one of those things that is mostly enhanced by having a lot of friends there.

Latest posts

Back