[R2]Different types of people.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the following groupings do you feel apply to you?

• The psychologically impaired: Young people suffering from various conditions that require psychiatri

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Otaku: The socially inept: ‘oddballs’, ‘geeks’, ‘nerds

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Alternative scene: Those unwilling to conform to existing structures and who search out alternatives

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • The lonely: Isolated young people who are often seeking sociability and relationships

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Anxious travellers: Young people undergoing difficult transitions either objectively or subjectively

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
C

Caesium

I found this list of different types of people on a forum for hikikomoris. However, I believe it may interest some of you too. Which of the following do you think you fit in, if any? Do you fit in one of the categories, or more than one? I don't like categorizing myself, but I would have to say that I fall into the following groups: Otaku, Alternative scene, The Lonely, and Anxious Travellers. What about you?

- The psychologically impaired: Young people suffering from various conditions that require psychiatric intervention
- Otaku: The socially inept: ‘oddballs’, ‘geeks’, ‘nerds’
- Alternative scene: Those unwilling to conform to existing structures and who search out alternatives
- The lonely: Isolated young people who are often seeking sociability and relationships
- Anxious travellers: Young people undergoing difficult transitions either objectively or subjectively.

Now that I think about it, some of those descriptions sound quite derogatory.

Note: The poll is not public, i.e. others cannot see what you selected.

I probably most fit into:

The psychologically impaired. I had my first nervous breakdown at 13 (notice: first. I've had 3 thus far, institutionalized all times and I'm only 27). Anyway, everyday life is really difficult for me. I'm officially diagnosed with Bipolar I, mixed and probably throw in rapid cycling there too.

Living in itself is simply exhausting. I'll go through mania and depression so many times in one month. Sometimes it's not that bad (i.e. suicidal thoughts), but usually it's enough to lower functioning severely. I can't keep a job longer than 3 months straight and that's including several accommodations from my employer.

Anyway, it's mostly organic, meaning that it's all brain chemistry. I really don't have much to complain about: I have a loving and supportive family, loyal friends, etc., childhood was, for the most part, pretty good. Before the depression and mania started at 13 I was a pretty well-rounded kid: had straight A's, was completely social, played tennis, had high self-esteem, talented and creative artist and writer. Basically, I had great potential (as everyone seems to call it).

Then all hell broke loose.

Now, I take five different meds: Depakote, Wellbutrin, Abilify, Lamictal, and Paxil -- just to keep me alive and functioning as much as possible. It's taken 10 years to find the right combination of meds and dosage but the road to that was absolute hell. Due to the nature of the meds, it takes a few weeks to a month to adjust so the periods during the time of adjustment are often chaotic -- and plus, you don't even know if the meds will work!

So, in essence, my whole life was turned completely upside-down and now I have to live with this. I will be like this for the remainder of my life.

Please, I'm not asking for sympathy by writing this. It's just the facts.

Yes. That, in a nutshell, was and is me.

- e.

Some of the options seem vague to me. For example, I dont consider myself a nerd, but sometimes I feel like a nerd, being into video games (studying game art programming), playing buncha different instruments, hiking, camping, train martial arts... I dont know, maybe I'm a nerd? The definition of nerd, for me, is someone who is good at something, like a surfer could be a surfing nerd... etc.

And the alternative scene... Wouldnt there be an existing structure for alternatives?

not to nag this poll, just some questions i have about some of the options.

SighX99 said:
Some of the options seem vague to me. For example, I dont consider myself a nerd, but sometimes I feel like a nerd, being into video games (studying game art programming), playing buncha different instruments, hiking, camping, train martial arts... I dont know, maybe I'm a nerd? The definition of nerd, for me, is someone who is good at something, like a surfer could be a surfing nerd... etc.

And the alternative scene... Wouldnt there be an existing structure for alternatives?

Hmm, yes, in that case, I think I would consider you to be a nerd. For me, a nerd is someone who is particularly good at something (as you just described), whilst a geek usually refers to someone who is interested in science/computers specifically.

Three of those talk about young people which disqualifies a bunch of us, so I have Otaku and Alternative to pick from. I'm not a japanophile and I'm not sure I'd call myself a non-conformist, so........

Caesium said:
SighX99 said:

Hmm, yes, in that case, I think I would consider you to be a nerd. For me, a nerd is someone who is particularly good at something (as you just described), whilst a geek usually refers to someone who is interested in science/computers specifically.

Nah....Dude.

A geek is someone who can't get laid.
A spaz is a nerd
A chicks magnet is a stud
A poser is a wanaa be
A freak is a pshyco *****..she be freaky in bed, dude.

FFS..lets put people in a box and turn on the spin cycle. It makes people dizzy and retarded.
Stuff on the suface to serperate us as human beings.
Government dose it, society dose it, groups dose it , institutions dose it, religion dose it, corporations dose it.
Retaining control over ponds with idenity crisis, burning the midnight oil.

Evidently it was cool to wear an SS cross during Hitler's rule. Socially acceptible even if it ment murdering millions
and taking oneself to the grave. Basic fear tatics 101. Conform or die, bitches ! ...:p

Unacceptance said:
Three of those talk about young people which disqualifies a bunch of us, so I have Otaku and Alternative to pick from. I'm not a japanophile and I'm not sure I'd call myself a non-conformist, so........

Don't worry about it, it's just a bit of fun. The descriptions were taken from an article on the Japanese hikikomori phenomenon, which focused primarily on young teenagers in Japan who were withdrawing from society. Of course, this is not just a Japanese phenomenon - such people exist in all societies - they just go by different names.

Hikikomori:
Hikikomori (ひきこもり or 引き籠もり ,Hikikomori?, lit. "pulling away, being confined", i.e., "acute social withdrawal") is a Japanese term to refer to the phenomenon of reclusive individuals who have chosen to withdraw from social life, often seeking extreme degrees of isolation and confinement due to various personal and social factors in their lives. The term hikikomori refers to both the sociological phenomenon in general as well as to individuals belonging to this societal group.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori

I selected Otaku and The Lonely. I don't think I'm that weird (strangers running away from you screaming is normal, right?) and I don't actively seek alternatives to convention, but sometimes I do find myself wondering why people do things in a certain way.

Thanks for that link Caesium; very interesting article.

Latest posts

Back