Recently discovered how lonely I really am.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric_Fusilier

Reaction score
Hello all.

So, where to begin...?

Well, I split with my ex (not married, but an LTR that was as good as) about seven months ago. I liked the freedom at first - dating, more time to do stuff, that sort of thing. In fact, I thought I was dealing with it pretty well. But just recently ... I dunno. Suddenly getting the sense that I'm going to be lonely for a long time. Maybe it's just a passing thing; maybe I'm just going through a bad patch. But it's begun to eat away at me, and I really don't know what to do.

Strangely enough, it's not like my life is empty. I have friends - though they're more acquaintances really. I have a social life, all those things. I do not miss my ex at all, though I do miss being with someone.

The most startling thing about this loneliness business it that it is a catch-22 situation: I have a real need to talk with someone about this - but there's just no-one to talk to.

So I'm here in these boards in the hope that ... well, by discussing things, it might make things a bit better. And I hope that I can help make things a bit better for some others too.

See you around, anyway...

Welcome to the forum. You should find plenty of people here to discuss things with. :)

Thank you for the welcomes.

Hey, nerdygirl - I'm a bit of a nerd myself. Personally, I'm proud of it. Glad to be a geek!

Doesn't do me any favours in the dating stakes, though. I informed one date that I thought she was as 'cool as an alien space pirate fighting a robot tyrannosaur.' She laughed, but did not call back. Ah well...

Welcome to the forum. Steampunk, much? :D

Electric Fusilier said:
Doesn't do me any favours in the dating stakes, though. I informed one date that I thought she was as 'cool as an alien space pirate fighting a robot tyrannosaur.' She laughed, but did not call back. Ah well...

If she didn't appreciate something as awesome as alien space pirates and robot dinosaurs, then you don't wanna waste your time on her anyway! :p

^^Yeah, quite like steampunk - well, any form of retro-futurism really. Thoroughly enjoyed Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow - really liked that 1930s art-deco look with hi-tech overtures - even though Jude Law was just...not...right for the role.

Pity about that date. Nice girl. She was a witch, apparently - cast spells and all that. Not really my thing, being more a scientific rationalist in outlook. So I guess it wouldn't have worked, even though the idea of her getting all witchy on me was quite ... appealing.

First, welcome to the forum.

Electric_Fusilier said:
I liked the freedom at first - dating, more time to do stuff, that sort of thing. In fact, I thought I was dealing with it pretty well. But just recently ... I dunno. Suddenly getting the sense that I'm going to be lonely for a long time. Maybe it's just a passing thing; maybe I'm just going through a bad patch. But it's begun to eat away at me, and I really don't know what to do.

I can identify with this. Right after my husband left me (we had been together for 12 years at that point), I went out on a flurry of dates and relished the freedom to go out and do whatever the hell I wanted on the nights he had our children, but the novelty wore off and I fell into a pretty deep depression. I figured that my life was over, no one was ever going to love me again, and I'd end up dead in my house for a week before anyone knew what had happened. Pure melodrama, but still, you're not alone.

It's difficult making the adjustment from a LTR to being cut off.

Electric_Fusilier said:
The most startling thing about this loneliness business it that it is a catch-22 situation: I have a real need to talk with someone about this - but there's just no-one to talk to.

The most ironic thing is that when you lose the person closest to you, you lose your confidant and moral support base. :(

^^Yeah. It's not great. You know, the thing that seems to be troubling me the most is that there will be no-one to help me when when my mum and dad die. They're getting on a bit now, and this has been playing on my mind a lot recently.

Electric_Fusilier said:
So I guess it wouldn't have worked, even though the idea of her getting all witchy on me was quite ... appealing.

Hahaha you might be surprised at how awesome being with a complete opposite can be. :p It might not last... but while it does, it can be a wild ride! :p lol

Electric_Fusilier said:
Yeah, quite like steampunk - well, any form of retro-futurism really. Thoroughly enjoyed Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow - really liked that 1930s art-deco look with hi-tech overtures - even though Jude Law was just...not...right for the role.

Hmmm I always sorta wanted to mod my computer case to be steampunkish.. nice polished wood, brass fittings, gauges and dials... lol

And I totally agree about Jude Law not fitting the role. :p

Electric_Fusilier said:
^^Yeah. It's not great. You know, the thing that seems to be troubling me the most is that there will be no-one to help me when when my mum and dad die. They're getting on a bit now, and this has been playing on my mind a lot recently.

Oh yeah, same here. My mother's brother, in fact, is most likely being removed from life support today. He's younger than my mom, and quite a bit younger than my dad. It's a sobering thought. :(

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Cheaptrickfan. And yeah, sobering is the word...

My dad recently retired. He was a former mechanic and builder, used to be a strong as an ox. Now he can't even lift an old CRT TV up the stairs - slightest exertion just sets him wheezing, despite having given up cigarettes a good few years ago. Really brings home how fast my parents seem to be ageing.

Electric_Fusilier said:
Sorry to hear about your uncle, Cheaptrickfan. And yeah, sobering is the word...

Thank you.

Electric_Fusilier said:
My dad recently retired. He was a former mechanic and builder, used to be a strong as an ox. Now he can't even lift an old CRT TV up the stairs - slightest exertion just sets him wheezing, despite having given up cigarettes a good few years ago. Really brings home how fast my parents seem to be ageing.

Thanks.

I hear you. One of the last times I trekked out to see my parents - they live 2 states away - I was shocked by how old my dad was looking. My dad also had been a long-time smoker until he finally quite about 5 years ago, yet he still has that smoker's cough rattling up from the bottom of his lungs. :/

Sorry about your uncle, CTF. (hug)

And sorry I missed your intro thread, Electric. Welcome to the forum. :)

cheaptrickfan said:
EveWasFramed said:
Sorry about your uncle, CTF. (hug)

Thanks Eve. It's sad when our parents' generation gets old. :(
[/quote/]

Sorry to hear what your family is going through. My sincerest best wishes to your mother, your self, your uncle, and the rest of your family.

Latest posts

Back