Schizoid personality disorder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanZ

Reaction score
Hello. I just found out I might have this.

A. A pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings, beginning by early adulthood (age eighteen or older) and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1. Neither desires nor enjoys relationships or human interaction, including being part of a family
2. Almost always chooses solitary activities
3. Has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
4. Takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
5. Lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
6. Appears indifferent to praise or criticism by others
7. Shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affect

1, 2, 4, 5 and 6. These matches with me I think.

What do you think, should I talk with someone about this? Right now, I don't think these affect my life harmfully but in a long run?

I've wanted to became a paramedic last five years and my entrance examination will be on next March if I get lucky. Now I've started to think that am I able to be a paramedic because I'm maybe "suffering" this disorder? Nevertheless, paramedics have lots of social interacting at school and work.

Don't get wrong, I can be very social if I need to and I like talking with people and love to help people but mainly I just enjoy being alone. Can a lonely person be a paramedic? I hope that can, because this is my long run goal and dream...

I think you should be professionally diagnosed and go from there.

Though, even if you are diagnosed with it, I don't see why it would interfere with your career goals.

It may even help you because you'll be able to be calm and not be swayed by people's opinions of you and do the best you can for your client regardless of what others think.

Personality disorders can't be self diagnosed. Go to a consultant if you feel so. I don't think that the traits you have are gonna hinder your career. Good Luck :)

Thanks for replies everyone. :) I will consider that professional diagnosis later. :)

Latest posts

Back