Shooting At Connecticut Elementary School (UPDATE: 26 DEAD)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's sad that 26 got hit, Columbine more impressed upon me. I came upon this news after the fact, and never really learned the full story anyway.

If memory serves, Columbine was about kids who got ostracized by their peers, and especially one kid getting rejected by some girl. Media took the story, and spun it that the parents were awful people. And then they took this Christian girl who was all brave and stuff. If Christianity is so great, shouldn't it be doing something to improve this kid's lot, so he doesn't go all homicidal in the first place? She'd have been braver if she'd been the one to make this kid feel like he fit in, before the shooting. Then of course, the inevitable debate about gun control. We could ban all the guns in the world, and people will walk around with butcher knives. You wanna ban cooking?

The point is, Nobody Learned Anything. People who feel lonely, rejected, and bullied have a greater tendency to lash out. People who get spurned in love have a tendency to turn on their object of affection. We don't want school shootings? Improve the state of the world. Until that, I have little sympathy for these 26 people, innocent or otherwise. Because as far as I know, they're just targets of some sort of pent-up frustration. I have no idea why this happened, but I can venture a guess. Bullying in school. Why this school? It was probably his elementary school years ago.

Yep, just read it. Guy grew up in that very town. Guy was introverted, and likely Asperger's. Newton is a small town, where everyone knows everyone (which can be nice, but for a kid who as they say "didn't want to attract attention" this means busybodies). If you've read up on Asperger's they tend to want relationships but due to social oddity and inability to read cues, get rejected alot. So here you have a seemingly warm and friendly town, but as this guy finds out, there isn't any place for him. The problem with murdering someone, is everything else good about you gets swept aside, and all they see is a murderer, not a desperately sad and lonely person, angry at the world.

Forget the 26 victims. It's the one person I'm concerned with saving. If people such as him could find welcome, there wouldn't have been 26 victims in the first place.

Agrees with Bulmabriefs but Columbine is different. The two kids who were ostracized were getting "revenge" on the school. Why kill innocent children? 5 year olds? But you do have a point that maybe there is a much deeper issue. I know how it feels to be ostracized. And alot of people have alot of rage and hurt in them. But I do not condone shooting innocent people AT ALL and will not make an excuse for someone to kill 5 year olds.

This is why I never watch the news. It's very tragic indeed I won't lie... this shooting won't stop, it's going to keep getting repeated. It's horrible.

Just a reminder that NAME CALLING IS NOT ALLOWED!

Keep it civil and respect each other. With such a delicate topic please be respectful of those who have been hit hardest by this tragedy and not turn it into a soap opera. Or this thread will be shut down as well.

"Forget the 26 victims". What a horrid thing to say. For shame.

Teresa

I would not be disappointed if this odious thread were shut down.

Teresa

bulmabriefs144 said:
While it's sad that 26 got hit, Columbine more impressed upon me. I came upon this news after the fact, and never really learned the full story anyway.

If memory serves, Columbine was about kids who got ostracized by their peers, and especially one kid getting rejected by some girl. Media took the story, and spun it that the parents were awful people. And then they took this Christian girl who was all brave and stuff. If Christianity is so great, shouldn't it be doing something to improve this kid's lot, so he doesn't go all homicidal in the first place? She'd have been braver if she'd been the one to make this kid feel like he fit in, before the shooting. Then of course, the inevitable debate about gun control. We could ban all the guns in the world, and people will walk around with butcher knives. You wanna ban cooking?

The point is, Nobody Learned Anything. People who feel lonely, rejected, and bullied have a greater tendency to lash out. People who get spurned in love have a tendency to turn on their object of affection. We don't want school shootings? Improve the state of the world. Until that, I have little sympathy for these 26 people, innocent or otherwise. Because as far as I know, they're just targets of some sort of pent-up frustration. I have no idea why this happened, but I can venture a guess. Bullying in school. Why this school? It was probably his elementary school years ago.

Yep, just read it. Guy grew up in that very town. Guy was introverted, and likely Asperger's. Newton is a small town, where everyone knows everyone (which can be nice, but for a kid who as they say "didn't want to attract attention" this means busybodies). If you've read up on Asperger's they tend to want relationships but due to social oddity and inability to read cues, get rejected alot. So here you have a seemingly warm and friendly town, but as this guy finds out, there isn't any place for him. The problem with murdering someone, is everything else good about you gets swept aside, and all they see is a murderer, not a desperately sad and lonely person, angry at the world.

Forget the 26 victims. It's the one person I'm concerned with saving. If people such as him could find welcome, there wouldn't have been 26 victims in the first place.

Hhhhhmmmm, I understand your point, I was talking to someone about this earlier today, and said something similar, sans the "forget the 26 victims part" What in Gods name will end all of this senseless murder? Why are people going crazy like this and how can it be spotted and stopped? Bulmabriefs, Do you really think that one Christian girl could have stopped Columbine with some magic words, and/or loving kindness? Or were they just stark raving maniacs (for what ever reason.) I believe we all effect others in a real way, but, when you boil everything down, we are all responsible for any and everything we do. No one can point a finger at anyone else and say it's because of them, or it's because of that. Every single person at some point makes a conscious decision to do, or not do something, there is always a point where you can chose to cross a line, or not. And that decision is always yours, no matter what the circumstances. No one is going to stand before God and say; the devil made me do it.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
This is why I never watch the news. It's very tragic indeed I won't lie... this shooting won't stop, it's going to keep getting repeated. It's horrible.
Same here, I quit watching the news along time ago, to depressing.

SofiasMami said:
"Forget the 26 victims". What a horrid thing to say. For shame.

For shame is right.

You should be ashamed, for turning your back on the person who was the cause. This person deserves our sympathy as well, but nah, "he's a killer."

If he had gotten such in life, maybe he wouldn't have killed in the first place?

Maybe 26 people would still be alive?

People lash out on the world because they are miserable. I know this because I've considered at least suicide at one point or another, but then I remember the people who do care about me. This is not about the murder, it's about a suicide. The only murder-suicide that doesn't need sympathy is Adolf Hitler. But even he, had his life been better, might never have caused the brutality that followed.

If all you can see is a "bad guy", you've missed the point and some new guy will come in 15-20 years and do the same or worse. If, however, people can see what once was good about such people, maybe, just maybe the world will become better, when people of his kind can face a world without loneliness, cruelty, and rejection.

So yes, "forget 26 victims." Because you've learned nothing from their deaths.

Okay, nope sorry that's about enough. I don't see this thread going anywhere but down.

We all need keep in mind how sensitive of a subject this. This isn't something that happened a week ago where it has had time to sink it. It happened TODAY. It is difficult to discuss a topic like this rationally when there are 18 (last I head) innocent young children who are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back