Shooting Stars!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Nice catch!

I love watching meteor showers and using their colors to guess their metallic content. Pretty awesome.

Its fab watching the sky especially when there is no light pollution, hope someone catches some film footage to watch of this.

Badjedidude said:
^^^Nice catch!

I love watching meteor showers and using their colors to guess their metallic content. Pretty awesome.

I think that is so cool that you guess their mineral content by there color! At first I was thinking; Wow! he can see the color! Then I thought; Oh he has a telescope. Then I thought noooooo, he must mean the actual meteor itself when you cut it open. :D
I have no idea how to tell the mineral color but would love to know how. Do tell! :)

JasonM said:
What sort of weapon are you using?

You know...to shoot the stars.

XD

Okiedokes said:
I seen some this morning! Totally did not expect that.

It is so awesome isn't it! Really special when you don't expect it. :)

I spent the night at Brasstown Bald last night doing some astrophotography. Here are a few shots of the meteor trails...

monkeysox said:
Its fab watching the sky especially when there is no light pollution, hope someone catches some film footage to watch of this.

I was actually trying to figure out how to capture it with my camera, but was like; no...just going to sit out here in the cold and watch what I can of it, not really the ideal place to capture it... :( But! I saw at least 4! Yes! Maybe, the same 4 some of you saw at the same time! ;D Before I went to sleep.

Lilianna said:
I think that is so cool that you guess their mineral content by there color! At first I was thinking; Wow! he can see the color! Then I thought; Oh he has a telescope. Then I thought noooooo, he must mean the actual meteor itself when you cut it open. Big Grin
I have no idea how to tell the mineral color but would love to know how. Do tell!

Well, you can see the colors with the naked eye if the shower is thick enough or if a large enough meteor streaks across the sky.

Meteors will burn different colors depending upon their chemical makeup; for instance, magnesium-rich meteors will tend to burn a green color, whereas iron-rich meteors will burn blue.

It's pretty cool to sit and watch them and figure out what they're burning as they pass. :)

Lonely in BC said:
Too cloudy here :(
It usually is to cloudy here, due to the "lake effect" But it wasn't cloudy last night, for for a change. Sorry to hear it was cloudy where you are. :(

LonelyInAtl said:
I spent the night at Brasstown Bald last night doing some astrophotography. Here are a few shots of the meteor trails...

OMG! So jealous. -.- Nice pics.

Badjedidude said:
Lilianna said:
I think that is so cool that you guess their mineral content by there color! At first I was thinking; Wow! he can see the color! Then I thought; Oh he has a telescope. Then I thought noooooo, he must mean the actual meteor itself when you cut it open. Big Grin
I have no idea how to tell the mineral color but would love to know how. Do tell!

Well, you can see the colors with the naked eye if the shower is thick enough or if a large enough meteor streaks across the sky.

Meteors will burn different colors depending upon their chemical makeup; for instance, magnesium-rich meteors will tend to burn a green color, whereas iron-rich meteors will burn blue.

It's pretty cool to sit and watch them and figure out what they're burning as they pass. :)

That is so cool! You must have really good eyesight because even when I'm "Up North" (where there is little to no light pollution) I never see an actual color to their trail. :D But thank you for teaching me that, Do you think If I use a telescope can I see their color? I'm gonna try sometime! XD

Lilianna said:
Do you think If I use a telescope can I see their color? I'm gonna try sometime! XD

Oh, definitely. Telescopes are really good for catching meteor showers... you just have to know what particular area of the sky to aim for. ;)

Badjedidude said:
Lilianna said:
Do you think If I use a telescope can I see their color? I'm gonna try sometime! XD

Oh, definitely. Telescopes are really good for catching meteor showers... you just have to know what particular area of the sky to aim for. ;)

Huh? You have to be looking in the exact place to catch a meteor with a telescope. There is no time to see one and then move the scope.

If you want close up, binoculars are better than a telescope.

I don't have either, what would you recommend to start looking further than my eyes can see ? binoculars ?

LonelyInAtl said:
Huh? You have to be looking in the exact place to catch a meteor with a telescope. There is no time to see one and then move the scope.

No you don't. I guess you've never extensively used a telescope before.

A telescope, like any other binocular/monocular device, shows a certain FOV -- field of view, which in the context of sky-watching will usually be measured in degrees. Unless you have an insanely expensive super high-powered telescope located at the top of a mountain and with a main lens diameter measuring twelve feet... then you're not going to actually be zooming that far.

Most amateur telescopes have a FOV wide enough to catch a decent portion of the sky. Simply aim the scope at the most active section of the sky and look through the viewing aperture. You'll see meteors shoot by time and time again.

Binoculars would work as well, but telescopes work just fine.

Badjedidude said:
LonelyInAtl said:

A telescope, like any other binocular/monocular device, shows a certain FOV -- field of view, which in the context of sky-watching will usually be measured in degrees. Unless you have an insanely expensive super high-powered telescope located at the top of a mountain and with a main lens diameter measuring twelve feet... then you're not going to actually be zooming that far.

Most amateur telescopes have a FOV wide enough to catch a decent portion of the sky. Simply aim the scope at the most active section of the sky and look through the viewing aperture. You'll see meteors shoot by time and time again.

Cool! I'm going to try it sometime, thank you. :)

I'll let you all, that don't try, know who was right. ;)
jk :D

I wish I could have seen it, but too much light pollution where I am. :(

The pictures are nice to see though

Badjedidude said:
LonelyInAtl said:

Actually, I have a Celestron 11" and stand by what I say. Observing a meteor storm, even with a wider FOV, this will will severely limit the average viewer and they will most likely go home disappointed. By viewing the entire sky, you will be able to see many more than you would with even a consumer telescope, IMHO. But, that's just me.

However, I have seen one meteor strike on the moon with it. That was impressive.

Latest posts

Back