Should people practice assertion?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassy_gurl2009

Reaction score
Let's say everyone else at work or school is talking to you but one person. Yet, it bothers you all the same that that person made it clear she didn't like you. She don't do anything wrong. It's just a matter of personal opinion. Yet, you over analyze the possible reasons she don't like you, esp as she talks to everyone else. it interfered w/ your work and your ability to get along with others who does like you. Should you assert yourself w/ "I" messages?

"Jennifer, when you didn't like me from day 1, I had a hard time getting along with others and getting my work done. When I do get it done, it wasn't good quality. That makes me very annoyed and confused. I would really like for everyone to get along and be productive. Can you help me by being my friend?" Would that work? It's better than begging and paying her $$$, right?

You can state it, but you cannot impose yourself on others. Assertion is not aggressiveness. It is, however, a large step above begging and trying to bribe someone, so that's a good step.

I think asking her honestly and gently "why" first is the best idea.

I think there's a deeper issue within yourself if you even feel the need to beg and plead and offer people money for their friendship. And anyone who takes a bribe isn't one to be friends with. I would suggest you learn yourself, before wanting to learn others to have friends.

that sucks I'm sorry, askin her why is a good start, but i wouldn't expect to get a straight answer she'll probably have some crazy excuse or white lie,

if you can't get a good answer, then just ignore her you don't need people like that in your life,

it can be hard, but try not to dwell on it too much

you are awesome!

:D

1) Is it knowing that she does not like you which interferes with your work?
or
2) Is it because she does not like you - and she is doing something to purposely interfere with your work (ex. not properly doing her part in shared assignments with you; unwilling to co-operate with you in work-related duties etc.)?

From the threads and posts I've come across from you - the vibe I get is that it is #1.
If I were in your position and HAD to ask (normally I wouldn't; I simply move on if someone does not like me); I would state more along the lines of: "Hi Jennifer. I hope you do not mind me bringing this up, but I have been feeling that you dislike me - and if so - I would like to know why. I only ask this because as co-workers, I feel that it is important for everyone to get along as we all want to be part of a positive work environment."

Personally, I would NOT elaborate that I am unable to function as a working adult only because of her dislike towards me. (Ex. "Jennifer, when you didn't like me from day 1, I had a hard time getting along with others and getting my work done. When I do get it done, it wasn't good quality."). Nor would I ask "Will you be my friend?" at the end of it all because it seems very desperate especially if she has made it clear that she does not like you and is not interested in your friendship already.

Sorry, but you should be able to still function as a worker and be able to do your job even if just one co-worker does not like you - and is not doing anything to purposely make you not work. If she does want you as a friend - you will see by her actions and there is no need for you to keep asking her.

From her response, she may or may not tell you the truth. In fact, she may dislike you but have no reason to justify it!
If that is the case, I would like to reiterate that sometimes people just won't like you for no reason - and I'm not speaking just to you, but I mean in general terms for everyone.
You could be nice to them, buy them gifts, help them out - and they will still not like you! Of course, trying to "ask", "bribe" or "buy" your way into friendship has no rewards. Do not put forth effort into someone who does not do the same to you.

(Ex. I had one co-worker - who I would greet in the mornings when passing by - and she would roll her eyes at me and ignored me for probably a year before she quit. I remained professional - didn't let it affect me - and continued working productively.)

Again, if it is #1 - the issue is with you. If she doesn't like you - she doesn't like you. If you keep on over-analyzing constantly to the point where it interferes with many aspects of your life; you need to find help because it is not healthy and scarily obsessive.

If it is #2 - where she is purposely causing trouble to you such as (Ex. Lying to the supervisor and saying you did things that you did not do/ screwing things up before passing it to you etc), then you can confront her and also go to the supervisor if things do not improve. You can mention to the supervisor that you brought it to Jennifer's attention and attempted to solve it among yourselves before bringing it to a higher level. If your supervisor does not work out a solution/ ignores you etc; best to find another employer.

That's why it's important to be a good worker regardless. You need to build a good reputation and credibility. If you let every little thing get to you and let it cause trouble for you - even the most patient of supervisors - your words will not hold much value. Again, in this type of case, it's best to start fresh - and work better - with another employer.

Whatever Jennifer's response is - be patient, and do not let yourself get sad, mad etc especially in front of her face or your co-workers. You need to be controlled and professional especially when it comes to confrontation at the workplace. Do not rage out under any circumstances. Even if you're in the right, it makes you look wrong.

I hope it works out for you because it seems to be a big issue for you.
I do not mean any offense in my post...and I hope that you at least take the time to read it since I am really trying to help you.

I don't think you have to worry about why someone likes or dislikes you unless you specifically wants him/her to be your friend or he/she is your boss. Don't be too conscious of what other people think and just look after yourself.
Make sure you are presentable and confident and people will automatically be attracted to you.

Assertiveness is a type of aggression (btw).

If someone doesn't like you, it's because they recognize there's something about you that is incompatible with them. Take a hint, it works both ways.

It is impossible to have a friendship with someone you don't like.

If your work performance is being affected by this, you might want to think about looking for work elsewhere. Although, you will most likely encounter someone who doesn't like you, again.

You're still on about this?
http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=15241
http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=15243
http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=15304
Jeez, the girl doesn't like you just accept it and move on. From what you have posted in your various threads and what you have told us you've done, I don't like you very much. You can be as assertive as you want but if someone doesn't like you, you can't force them to just get along with you or act like your friend, it isn't going to happen. You haven't learned a thing from your past actions.

At she she is considering something besides begging and bribing. That's an improvement.

Deciding to drop it and accept that this girl just doesn't like her would be an improvement. She obviously doesn't want to be friends, and probably never will be, so asserting ones self to demand such a thing is definitely the wrong approach, especially after begging and trying to pay her. The damage is already done.

From what I can see, actually, she's been trying the same approach with many different individuals who 'do not like her', making it into a pattern of self-destructive behavior. Breaking from it, by using another approach, is a positive thing.

Breaking from it would be to stop imposing herself on others, to ask them to "just be her friend" is still the same destructive behavior. That is something that should have been done before the begging and payoffs and trying to get others to make them like her. Like I said, the damage has already been done, she has now given this (these) people(s) reason to not like her.

I grew up having people who didn't like me for absolutely no reason at all, people I didn't even know their names hated me. So I know how sassy feels, it's horrible to have people that don't know you not like you. I was a "under the radar" kind of kid too, I just tried to stay out of peoples way and not get picked on or bullied. If they wanted to hate me without even knowing me then fine that was their problem. If someday by chance the time came where they did get to know me, like one guy I ended up going to college with did, then they could decide. He realized I wasn't that bad a guy after all and apologized for the way he treated me in high school. We became friends and even hung out a few times. I never imposed or forced myself on anyone to get them to be my friend, that is just pointless to do.

a) She doesn't have to like you
2) If she doesn't like you...too bad so sad...get over it
iii) If I was your manager and I found out that her not liking you was affecting your productivity...i'd fire you
four) Just get over it, she doesn't like you...unless she's actively and directly INTERFERING with your work...STOP CARING!
cinco) if you're madly in love with this woman...it's probably not going to happen, but if you must just chat with her like a normal co-worker...don't ask her why she doesn't like you...just talk to her like a normal human being when appropriate. If she really is a ***** about it and it gets too much just say "what's your problem?!"

sassy_gurl2009 said:
idk y, but it just hurts me whenever someone don't like me. It just makes me feel defective. lol

I'm sorry, but for what it is worth, being disliked is natural and happens. You can't make everyone like you, so find ways of dealing with it. You /can/ make everyone hate you, as you discovered.

Yeah so I just read the first post here and nothing else. Jennifer's a *****. 'Nuff said. Move on.

Latest posts

Back