Sleep as a coping mechanism.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olde shoe said:
I'm the exact opposite. whenever I get depressed (almost everyday) I function better, I work harder, my concentration level is at its peak, I'm more creative. I have less drive to actually sleep--I guess I'm that eccentric?

that doesn't sound like depression to me.........

maybe, possibly "mania"???

literally depression has symptoms, and all of what you listed are the exact opposite.

depression by definition makes you less energetic, makes you less able to focus, and it certainly does not make you "function better". trust me.

just my two cents, for what it is worth. not saying you don't have an issue, but it really doesn't sound like depression.

Just_Some_Dude said:
Olde shoe said:
I'm the exact opposite. whenever I get depressed (almost everyday) I function better, I work harder, my concentration level is at its peak, I'm more creative. I have less drive to actually sleep--I guess I'm that eccentric?

literally depression has symptoms, and all of what you listed are the exact opposite.

depression by definition makes you less energetic, makes you less able to focus, and it certainly does not make you "function better". trust me.

just my two cents, for what it is worth. not saying you don't have an issue, but it really doesn't sound like depression.

I'm pretty sure that's called "Manic Depression", usually seen in people who suffer from being bi-polar.

Either way, I'm not a doctor. Therefore, it might be best to see a doctor about these things.

shells said:
Just_Some_Dude said:
Olde shoe said:

I'm pretty sure that's called "Manic Depression", usually seen in people who suffer from being bi-polar.

Either way, I'm not a doctor. Therefore, it might be best to see a doctor about these things.

right. that is why i said it sounded like "mania" which is what the "manic" in manic-depression stands for.

mania is the opposite of depression.

i find all i crave too do is curl up in a ball and fall asleep. When i am depressed i can sleep for days, its a way for me to switch my head off and forget about everything for a while. People around me don't understand, they think i stay in bed because i am lazy, which isn't the case, i would love to be active and lead a normal happy life. The people around me then start shouting at me which leads me to be more depressed. Its a vicious circle.

stella said:
i find all i crave too do is curl up in a ball and fall asleep. When i am depressed i can sleep for days, its a way for me to switch my head off and forget about everything for a while. People around me don't understand, they think i stay in bed because i am lazy, which isn't the case, i would love to be active and lead a normal happy life. The people around me then start shouting at me which leads me to be more depressed. Its a vicious circle.

Likewise. I took all of last week off to sleep and recoop. I think I actually missed assignments,but meh. I had to get my head together.

My days are hard to get through when I don't have a full night's sleep beforehand. And yea, when I'm extremely sad I go to sleep. It's definitely a coping mechanism for me.

dreamer8 said:
I sleep all day and I'm usually awake all night.

I am very similar. In the day time I could just sleep all day (though I don't because I have to go to work) and I generally just feel crap during the day, really tired and 'foggy'. But at night time I seem to relax more and come alive, so to speak, I find it difficult to sleep at night, very difficult at times.

It drives me bananas. :club:

Why am I like this? I've tried sooooo many things to help. (eg. Exercise tons during the day to tire oneself out for the eve, still doesn't work!)

Absolutely thats why I dont even make time to go out on purpose just so I can cope with it. Loneliness and depression. Definitely a coping mecca.

If you think you have clinical depression and you want to seek out medical advice then do so! I don't know how easy it is to do that in the U.S. - I've heard you have a pretty crappy health system over there. ;-) But surely there is some way to access mental health resources even if you don't have insurance??? Perhaps the universities have free counselling services or something? Remember it's a health issue and not to give a **** about what other people think. Your mother sounds well-meaning but she's completely mistaken about how to deal with this.

AndrewM said:
If you think you have clinical depression and you want to seek out medical advice then do so! I don't know how easy it is to do that in the U.S. - I've heard you have a pretty crappy health system over there. ;-) But surely there is some way to access mental health resources even if you don't have insurance??? Perhaps the universities have free counselling services or something? Remember it's a health issue and not to give a **** about what other people think. Your mother sounds well-meaning but she's completely mistaken about how to deal with this.
It's pretty easy for me,my insurance is decent. The co-pay kills me. There's state based insurance...but,that's usually kind of for lower income folks,who can't afford private insurance.
Universities have counciling facilities,but there's a huge waiting list for that service,and...frankly,I'm not at the university anymore so I don't have to worry about that. I don't give a flying poop about what people think of me,or my mental state too much anymore,and my mother has never really cared,or been supportive,sooo,I'm going it alone.

I have no idea what you've heard,but the 'crappiness' is only for those of us,like myself who have pre-existing conditions. Those places who have employees who have pre-existing conditions, cost more to the employer...and those independantly who pay for insurance without an employer don't have coverage with some pre-existing conditions...so,President Obama is trying to reform it so it's universal.

Well here's hoping they get the health reform bill passed so at least those with pre-existing conditions can't be discriminated against.

Latest posts

Back