Sleep

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey

Reaction score
Just been doing some research on Sleep ever since i gave up my night shift gig due to it screwing with my sleeping pattern...

Just wanted to know how much sleep you guys tend to give yourselves and do you have any old tricks and tips on how to get the best quality sleep ?

I generally get around 5-6 hours per night. On the weekends, it's more like 12 hours. :cool:

I always sleep until I wake naturally. Alarms are paid attention only when they ring (daily), with the result, being pushed 30 minutes back over and over, until I feel like waking up. I'm lucky my boss understands me. Going to work with anything but top form will be a waste of my day.

So it's about 7, to 9 hours in the weekends.

I always try closing my eyes when trying to sleep.

This site gives really great info regarding rest for shift workers (I do 2 twelve hour days, have twenty-four hours off, then do 2 twelve hour nights then have four days off- there's frequent OT available so I often pick up a couple of twelve hour night shifts as well).
www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/.../shiftworkershandbook_en.pdf
....I went to a sleep seminar that had a lot of this info in it, ended up changing the way I sleep for the better.

The Cliff Notes version....
-sleep is in 1.5 hour cycles, you'll feel more rested if you sleep 6 hours than 7 or 7.5 hours instead of 8. I've experienced this myself.

-if you sleep during the day a dark room and "white noise" (a fan, AC, etc.) is essential.

-on my night shifts I'll use my last break (we get two 30 minute breaks) to "nap" for 20-25 min. It recharges me and gets me through the next four hours- if I miss the nap that last few hours is a struggle.

-I love my coffee but its not a shift workers friend- it will f**k you up later when you're trying to rest. Apples are better for you, they're little energy bombs that give you the alertness you need and don't mess you up later. I usually pack three or four in my lunch bag and munch on them right at the start of shift, at the end of my breaks, and a spare just in case.

-drink lots of water (I usually drink 3-4 litres during a shift)- it helps to keep you refreshed and alert. Stay away from "energy" drinks, pills, etc.- they will f**k you up. They're like an anchor dragging you down.

Consistency is the key for me.

I pretty much go to sleep and wake up at the same times every day (with the occasional exception) and drink lots of water. Typically, I feel rested when I wake up and don't feel sleepy during the day.

Yeah ^ gotta have consistency. Keep your sleep hours regular so your body is tuned to it. And for me, anything less than 6 hours is gonna make me tired the next day at work usually. So I try to make it at 6 hours, but ideally, 8 hours is best.

Take a nice long hot soak then go to bed. Stretching your muscles is also helpful. I don't mean to sound dirty, but masturbation never hurts either. If you do so while soaking it can save you some time. Kill two birds with one stone kind of thing.

Extra sleepy tea may help you. I have also read that avoiding things that overstimulate your brain at least an hour before bed helps (avoiding tv, fast paced music, stuff like that). Turkey and bananas are said to help make you sleepy. Avoid caffeine too. Hope that helps!

i give myself around 8 hours of sleep on week nights, and about 4 or 5 hours a night on the weekend. i take a sleep aid that is bought over the counter called melatonin. except i skip it on weekends

Latest posts

Back