Smoking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TropicalStarfish said:
\However, this is only 1 of many ways to go about quitting. I've heard tales of people that have smoked for 40+ years, and just one day decided they were done, and stopped smoking.

My father was like that, but I believe it is generally unusual. One day he woke up after a nightmare and decided that now that he was about to have children, he could not afford the financial costs of smoking to himself(or the potential affect it could have on his children). He never smoked again.

Wow,for a smoking related thread there's a hell of a lot anti smokers in here!
I started smoking at the age of 10,which sounds terrible now,but wasn't so unusual then.Smoking was everywhere,in films,on TV,and it was positively encouraged!
At 61 I'm still smoking,and dealing with the consequences,plus the now horrendous cost of them.So my advice to anybody is don't start!

Now I've run out of cigarettes,have to get dressed,and go and buy more!

Yes I do smoke and hate myself for it. Like Jilted John I started young I think I was 14 and it was not known or told that it had health ramifications. I am going to put the patch on today I have tried this in the past and have failed miserably. John please pass me a cig I don't have any in the house.

Jilted John said:
Inhales deeply and blows smoke at the screen.

Thank you please keep blowing at the screen haha. I'm making breakfast I will really miss that after meal cig.

I gave up for 2 years. first of all because I hated this addiction.
Today I smoke again hahaha but because I love it and a lot less, of course I have a little dependence but nothing serious.

ok... here's my recipe.
first of all you need to really want to quit.
if you have that... you'll have to smoke. ;)
buy some mentholed cigarretes and start to smoke. one after another.
smoke deeply. concentrate in the flavor. the reaction on your throath.
when you start to feel sick... perfect keep smoking. if you want to throw up even better.
keep smoking. and do that for at least 2 or 3 days. dont give up. if you dont wanna smoke. smoke. if you are puking. smoke. if you are crying because its grose... smoke.
after that... you'll only need some will. first two weeks are the hardcore ones. after that... you're done.

the thing is. if you do that your body will associate the sicknes with the cigarretes for a while. enough to help you to quit once for all. thats a big help. and will of course.
if you feel kinda desperate... act like youre smoking a cigarrette. (take your 2 fingers to your lips and inhale exactly how you do it when youre smoking) and that will help too. but do not think about the cigarrette. just do that.

good luck. it's easier than it sounds ;)

Hey smoking buddy,

I smoke too as a form of relaxation especially when you are constipating... smokers knows that... but never ever make it a form of habit though it is never wrong to smoke.

Smoking is never an addiction, its a habit as at times you just feel that something(the cigarette) is missing in your fingers.

Cigarette is sometimes a friend for me when I am lonely... but be careful of your intake though. One pack per day is a killer... 5-6 sticks per is enuff...

And when you smoke, seal the cigarette butt in a tube or plastic and dispose of it later...

Oh, and I am not encouraging it... just be sure to have a breather of oxygen in the garden and exercise...!

I got 101 reason why we can smoke... and thank you for smoking...

gelnn said:
Smoking is never an addiction, its a habit as at times you just feel that something(the cigarette) is missing in your fingers.

Wikipedia said:
Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties.[45] However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.[25]

Neurologically, it appears to be indeed, addictive in a similar manner as cocaine is.

Erm... I am talking about smoking, not nicotine... you do not take in all contents of a cigarette but 1/9 of it due to the filter... so if you smoke 9 sticks in a row... thats taking 1 complete stick intake and you are probably messed addicted to nicotine... I hope no one does that.

gelnn said:
Erm... I am talking about smoking, not nicotine... you do not take in all contents of a cigarette but 1/9 of it due to the filter... so if you smoke 9 sticks in a row... thats taking 1 complete stick intake and you are probably messed addicted to nicotine... I hope no one does that.

What kind of smoking are you referring to? We are discussing cigs that have nicotine in them. Where did you get that "fact" from? Your response does not make sense to me.

Presumably, his opinion is that the intake of nicotine from smoking nicotine cigarettes is low enough as to not be addictive. I do not believe that is usually true as the brain is sensitive is even small levels of change, and toxicity does accumulate over repeated exposure over days and weeks. Empirical and I believe, experimental research evidence support that conclusion.

@IgnoredOne,

Agreed... but that depends on individual's "sensitivity," like me I am not addicted... I just take when I feel like it... but most of the time when I constipate... lol

Latest posts

Back