So, I've been invited to Sweden for Christmas...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milly

Reaction score
I feel a bit bad posting this because I know there's plenty of people who aren't going to have a good Christmas, but I'm ever-so-slightly excited here and I hope you don't mind me telling someone about it.

I was in Copenhagen with work in May and I met a girl there who I ended up spending some time with over the week - I even met up with her in Paris for a while later in the summer. I know how said this will sound but she's probably my one female friend...

Anyway, I left her alone for a while because I didn't want to bother her too much (I live England and she lives in Denmark, naturally). Anyway, she knows about my history and how I'm always on my own at Christmas, and she got in touch with me and asked if I'd like to spend Christmas this year with her and her family in Sweden - they have some sort of cabin up in the mountains where you can go skiing and stuff.

I'm buzzing about it, but I'm also absolutely terrified at the prospect of meeting her family - I don't want to mess up and annoy them when they've been so kind to invite me. And if I really irritate them (and I'm a pretty irritating person, I guess) we're miles from anywhere so they could easily kill me and bury me somewhere
tGvpa.png

I know this is hardly a problem and I really don't want to seem like I'm complaining when I know people have it far worse than me. I know people would kill for this opportunity and I really, really am grateful. I just hope I don't mess it up, because if it did it would really do me in I think...

If I do decide to go, we'll have a sweep on how many bones I break skiing
tGvpa.png

Wow, nice! I'm sure you'll be fine, you won't mess anything up and I'm positive you won't be annoying, or irritating. Get those thoughts out of your head! Just think about how nice it will be in that cabin in the mountains on Christmas, instead of being alone doing nothing.

So happy for you. :)

I'm not going to wave away your fears Milly as I know from other posts you worry about this sort of thing. All I'd say is you come across as a lovely person, thoughtful and witty and I can't see any reason in the world why anyone would find that irritating. This girl obviously thinks an awful lot of you and not always but generally families tend to be cut from the same cloth so I'm sure they'll see the same in you that she does. If anything I'm sure their main concern will be to make your stay there comfortable and make you feel one of the family for the festive period.

From what you've been through, this is a fab opportunity for you and I think you deserve it, so try to put aside your fears, your a really nice person so make the most of it. :)

That sounds very nice. :) But I'm warning, if they are serving Surströmming for Christmas dinner, you might throw up. :D

Thanks for the comments, really kind of you! :) I really hope it'll go okay if I do go over there. I'm looking at ski-wear at the moment and I didn't realise how much stuff you needed...

HumanZ - I'll bear that in mind but it can't be much smellier than my usual cooking!

I hope you have fun! It sounds like it'll be a great experience.

Don't worry too much about meeting the family. I'm sure it will be fine, especially if you offer to help with everything.

Thanks Barb! :)

In all honesty I'd be happy to go over even if they just wanted me as a maid, so offering to help isn't a problem at all...

How nice for you Milly. I am sure you will have a wonderful time and ' a white christmas ?'

Anyone would be apprehensive when they are meeting new people. If you 'were what you said you were' they wouldn't invite you !

Don't break any bones though.

Wishing you well on this trip.

Thanks Monkeysocks!

Dunno if anyone's interested but I've got an update and I've not really got anyone else to tell it to - I've booked my flights up there so it looks like this is going to go ahead!!

I've gotta admit I'm stupidly excited, I've been listening to Christmas songs all day.

Now I've just gotta try to stop wondering what exactly I've done to deserve this, and whether it isn't just some really cruel practical joke or something...

Latest posts

Back