so...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennaBond

Reaction score
Not sure if I should post here, or under depression, or under relationships...
Please don't feel obliged to read all of this. I just need to get it out.

I'm lonely. And I'm depressed. I know why I feel this way, I understand it, but know why doesn't make it any easier to cope with. In truth I shouldn't feel this way because the Universe dictates that it's who I am and I'm equipped to deal with it, embrace it, accept it.... but right now it seems unbearable.
Three years ago I lost my daddy. He was old and he was sick and it was a blessing when he was gone because you never want to see the ones you love suffering. But still, he was my daddy. It was that moment in time when the rose colored glasses came off and I learned things about my father and realized there was so much I didn't know.
But I was okay with it, because he was old and sick and had a full life. It was his time.
A year and a half ago my son lost his father. I can't say I loved him, but there was always affection there because after all he was my son's father. We didn't have a great relationship through the years, but those last few months we were bridging the gap. He knew he was sick and he reached out to me, I wasn't going to turn my back on him. He was an alcoholic, he drank himself to death. Now I always knew he was drinker but I never knew just how bad it was. It turned our lives upside-down, my son and I. There was a lot of ugliness, family. It was difficult times.
But I was okay with it, he did it to himself. He lived his life the way he wanted.
Two months later...
The most important man in my life died. He was a friend, a lover, a mentor, a Master, my confidante. He was the only man who ever truly loved me for me, for who I am in spite of all my flaws and idiosyncrasies, and probably the only man who ever will. It was the closest I'll ever know to unconditional love. It was devastating, paralyzing, debilitating. He died of an over dose. He was on anti depressants that have known side effects to cause suicidal thoughts. He'd tried a few months earlier and I'd spent the night on chat with him talking him down. I made him promise me that he would never leave me. It was an accident, he didn't deliberately kill himself. But he's still gone...
I started seeing a psychic, call me crazy but you don't have to believe what I believe, and I don't have to believe what you believe, but we can all respect each others personal beliefs. So I talk to him all the time but twice a year I go to see the psychic to talk with him more directly. Yes, many of the things he's told me have come to fruition...
I never really had time to mourn with so much going on in my life, all the changes. I just never believed I'd be happy again, ever. To find that kind of love once in a life time is gift, I couldn't believe I'd ever find love again. But... the psychic. He told me I was going to meet someone, even gave me a name, he told me that he would be significant in my life. Of course, I wasn't listening because I was only there to talk to Luke. It wasn't until months later that I went back and listened to my session with him, something jogged my memory and I went back and listened.
There was no reason for our paths to ever cross. It was his second day on the job, I had stopped just to use the ATM even though I knew I'd still have to stop at the bank that day. I knew as soon as I looked into his eyes. He started giving me directions and I said something about getting to work.
Four hours later, headed to the bank I stopped again. That smile, you can't even believe that smile... and told him how lovely his eyes were. I made a bold move (for me) and asked him to join me for a drink sometime. And he said, yes, without hesitation, wrote down his name and number. It was a month later I listened to that session. The name the psychic gave me. The next few months were the happiest I've ever been. Sometimes we'd just get together for dinner or a movie. Sometimes I'd text him with a hotel name and room number and tell him to meet me after work. It was all the strange little coincidences. He needed to make an appt with his eye doctor, the only day they had available happened to be the day I took off work... a day I had requested a week before he called for the appt. I would text him and say, you're going to get a job offer. Six hours later he'd ask, how did you know that? Some guy just offered me a job.
When I met him his life was complicated. He was having a hard time and was struggling to get back on his feet. He didn't have transportation. His truck broke, it wasn't worth fixing given its age and the cost involved. I found him a car. I asked if I could stop by after work, I had to give him something. He said yes but he didn't have much time and I said it wouldn't take long. He was amazed. And I told him that he now gad to drive me back to my car so he could get to where he needed to be. Instead he said he had a surprise for me too, and he drove me to the store and bought me a balloon.
I had done something really great at work earlier in the week, and my boss was so pleased she asked what she could do for me. I told her I wanted a skullie balloon. Instead she got me cookies, granted they were my favourite cookies, but I really wanted that balloon. And he knew this. He bought me that balloon. He said he knew I was stopping after work and he couldn't get a ride to the store, and he knew if he walked it he wouldn't have gotten back in time...
And then I showed up, with a solution, with a car. It's the little things that matter the most. No one truly understands how much that gesture meant to me.
Then one night he stayed over, we got up in the morning, I made him coffee, told him to have a great day at work, sent him off with a kiss... and never saw him again. He just walked out of my life. One week he's writing me poetry, the next he's gone. I got a text, something about his life getting too complicated. We've communicated since, he still has a key to the house. I gave that to him with the stipulation that when he decides he doesn't want me to be a part of his life then he can return it. After he walked out of my life, well he returned my things, everything but the key.
It's just, they way he did it. After losing Luke the way I did, one day he was just gone. It was like salt in a wound that hadn't even begun to heal. And everything has just gone wrong since. Winter had me depressed, it always does. Work, there's just been so many changes. Issues at home, still trying to settle this estste, still trying to help him because all I ever wanted was just to help him because I've been where he is. Then I had a health scare, that left me with medical bills...
It just seems to always get harder. I'm a single mother working six days a week and not getting ahead, and it's all just starting to overwhelm me. Every difficult situation I've ever had to face in my life I've had to face alone.
Life is easier when you have someone to share it with, to help shoulder the burden, to lean on for strength. I feel lost.

I do not have any answers for you JennaBond and I won't insult your intelligence with any platitudes.

You're in crisis and this forum is a poor substitute for 'someone.....to help shoulder the burden', but I hope you keep coming back here. This community has some pretty good people and it's a good place to ventilate one's agony.

I'd say you've already demonstrated some serious toughness. I really do wish for some relief to come your way, a few good breaks, some better luck.....you deserve it. And I would like to hear from you again, in this forum......

constant stranger said:
I do not have any answers for you JennaBond and I won't insult your intelligence with any platitudes.

You're in crisis and this forum is a poor substitute for 'someone.....to help shoulder the burden', but I hope you keep coming back here. This community has some pretty good people and it's a good place to ventilate one's agony.

I'd say you've already demonstrated some serious toughness. I really do wish for some relief to come your way, a few good breaks, some better luck.....you deserve it. And I would like to hear from you again, in this forum......

Thank you, I appreciate your candor. (And your avatar.)
Sometimes talking to strangers is easier than talking to someone you know and who knows you well. I thought about therapy but... it's hard to find a good therapist. (And my benefits suck.) I have a blessing, and a curse; Chiron. I can help others and do for others that which I cannot do for myself. So I will lurk about here and offer what I can to others.
Thank you.

Hey JennaBond, I'm deeply sorry for all your losses. It's truly amazing that you keep your strength throughout all those times in your life losing people one after another. You keep going on, trudging along even until now. I admire you for that.

It sucks to be burned by someone you thought you knew so well, you thought you could trust. If only people could be more honest and upfront, and allow others they're involved with to have some closure for the actions they choose to take. It's not fair on you.

You said he returned all those things but the key. I think you should ask him for the key back - or change your locks. He doesn't deserve to step foot back at your place. If I were you, my trust would be gone with him the moment he walked away and returned you all those things. There is no reason for him to keep the key. For all you know, he could come by and do something stupid or bad, not to scare you but it's good to watch out for yourself and your son. You never know, people can be so unpredictable and crazy. His sudden leaving you is one of the examples here.

Doing this, is also another step taken to move on. It takes time to heal such wounds, and I'm sorry that it has left you lost... but I always believe that with time, patience and forgiveness (to others and yourself) will bring you somewhere. I don't have much good advice to give, because everyone's lives are so different and we all deal with hardships differently, but I hope you take comfort in knowing that you are not alone even if it feels like so. I mean, look at us here. Everyone here has one issue or another and we try to support each other for the most part. Come talk to us here, there are some very friendly and nice people on this forum who can make you feel a little less lonesome. I believe this helps too, for you to move forward.

I sincerely hope that you will find some peace in all that you've gone through, and that you can finally find time now to make up for the time lost to mourn and grief for all your losses. It's high time you take care of yourself now and treat yourself to something good every day. I really think you deserve some "me" time and hope you can try to find things to do that you will enjoy every day, take it one step at a time, one day at a time. All the best. *hug*

This is so terribly familiar, yet the only thing positive that comes to mind is a tired ole' Dr Seuss quote
Things change swiftly, so I'd guess the best thing you can do is appreciate what you have while you have it. I try to live with as few regrets as possible, sometimes that means forcing myself to remember what I have lost in the best light, even if it hurts because I do not have them any longer.
Best of luck

[/quote] You said he returned all those things but the key. I think you should ask him for the key back - or change your locks. He doesn't deserve to step foot back at your place. If I were you, my trust would be gone with him the moment he walked away and returned you all those things. There is no reason for him to keep the key. For all you know, he could come by and do something stupid or bad, not to scare you but it's good to watch out for yourself and your son. You never know, people can be so unpredictable and crazy. His sudden leaving you is one of the examples here.[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words...
I think though you may misunderstand with regard to him.
After he left I was feeling hurt, as if I'd done something wrong, had somehow caused this.
I did not.
He didn't hurt me, I hurt myself by having expectations of him that he could never meet. I sent him a long and heartfelt email and told him that I understood, that his life was complicated when I met him and though I really just wanted to help I realize that I only complicated it more.
That I will always call him my friend,
That I will always be here to help him,
And that he holds the key and that key will always open our door and he will always be welcomed in our home.
Caring about someone means wanting them to be happy, even if that means not being in his life....
We still communicate, and he's trying very hard to get his life in order and be a good father to his son.
It's what was in the stars... for both of us.
I have no animosity towards him.

The quote fir me that comes to mind, and I believe it was Shakespeare, who said, 'It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.'
I say Shakespeare was an ass.
To have such a love, such a bond with another ... and then to have death snatched them from you so suddenly. That is pain of a different kind.
Yes, this too shall pass. In time.
I take comfort in knowing he's always with me, all around me.

Latest posts

Back