Socializing is like a foreign language to me.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding jokes and sarcasm. I still laugh at it, but I end up not understanding what the person talking meant. I'm not good at making jokes either.
I very often misunderstand what people are saying because I zone out a lot, or get distracted from something I'd rather be doing than socializing. I'm not good at handling groups of people either. I just go and hide out in my room until they leave. Although over the internet, I'm actually okay at socializing because I can better articulate what I want to say.

Why? Is it an eye contact type of thing or just being able to think about things more before you actually say them? Maybe both....maybe something else?
It's a combination of not knowing what to say and just staying quiet because of it, and not understanding why people want to socialize. It's really exhausting for me to try and socialize than it is doing anything else. After like 10 mins of being around people and trying to socialize, I need a nap because I'm so exhausted.

I totally understand what you meant by "zoning out". I am the same, I often lose track of what people are saying, especially in a group discussion. Even in a class, I would lose track of what the teacher is talking about.

Last edited:
I NEVER sarcasm...😈

Practice makes perfect. I dont think there is any other secret than that. I used to be very much like you. 10+ years in client services cured me.

I don't do well socializing. Now I don't even try. I found this forum and am content. I do talk to my pets all day long.

Latest posts

Back