Socially Awkward Awareness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik_757

Reaction score
Just being aware of the situations that might be making me socially awkward ... If I can spot what I'm doing wrong I think it can help me open up. Some things I've noticed with myself:

- Checking phone because I have nothing to contribute to the conversation.

- Waiting for the right time to say something, but gets interrupted and doesn't attempt to talk over the person interrupting.

- Someone I know is walking in front of me. So I maintain distance.

- Attempt to hold the door for someone, but they’re slightly too far away so I walk on

- Go "hidden" while online

- Accidentally looking someone in the eye and pretending to look past them.

- Saying something stupid but then trying to play it down due to embarressment.

- Trying to say “hi” to someone but it comes out as a whisper.

- Pretending that I'm texting when alone in a crowd.

- Walk into the restrooms and the stalls are full so I pretend that I only came there to wash my hands then leave. (Not the place for conversation ... but you get the point...)

If you have anything else to add it would be helpful. Might notice something I or others might have never realized.
-
-

Hmmm man,

I do all these things myself. I think they are fairly normal reactions for most people. This is "beta" social awkwardness, not "omega" social awkwardness. At least you aren't interrupting people to say the kinda stuff like Chris Chan would.

Just get jacked and girls will overlook this. They might even find it cute.

well I do all those things! Im not sure they are all related to social awkwardness, maybe a bit of social anxiety but i think a lot of normal people do them too. I always do the pretending to text someone when im alone in public and also in conversations when i want to say something i wait til theres silence but then someone else will usually start talking and i miss my chance which can be frustrating!

I do 90% of those things. I'll add:

-Scratch itch that isn't really there.

-Clearing throat when its already clear.

SocratesX said:
Hmmm man,

I do all these things myself. I think they are fairly normal reactions for most people. This is "beta" social awkwardness, not "omega" social awkwardness. At least you aren't interrupting people to say the kinda stuff like Chris Chan would.

Well, even if your newfangled muscles don't get you dates, then at least you could overpower the girls and have your way with them, no questions asked. I mean, what more could a guy want, right? :rolleyes:

Cathedral said:
SocratesX said:
Hmmm man,

Well, even if your newfangled muscles don't get you dates, then at least you could overpower the girls and have your way with them, no questions asked. I mean, what more could a guy want, right? :rolleyes:

Real nice of you, trying to punk with someone who probably cares more about your problem than any random stranger would.

Well,I want to add:

-Go for a walk alone saying I have to do something/some business (along those lines) so I don't have to be alone in the middle of my "friends"

I recognise a lot of my own traits in that list,a couple more;

Opening a twitter account,and being delighted when someone follows you even though it's only an automated update service. :cool:

Coming up with cover stories at work to explain your great friday nights,when you actually were sat at home watching Family Guy on t.v. :rolleyes:

When you buy a pint of milk in the shop and the lady behind the till touches your hand while giving you your change and that becomes the highlight of your week. :p

Marik_757 said:
- Waiting for the right time to say something, but gets interrupted and doesn't attempt to talk over the person interrupting.

I know, right? I always am waiting for the right time to say something in a conversation (well, unless it's in a situation where I feel comfortable just shutting-the-eff-up and letting others do the talking; that's easier, after all). It's harder the more people there are present, because the same space has to be shared with more people, who all want their go at speaking up. Some people don't seem to have a problem with interrupting others; I have.

Jim Reaper said:
Coming up with cover stories at work to explain your great friday nights,when you actually were sat at home watching Family Guy on t.v. :rolleyes:

This too. I often pretend that I don't spend most of my weekends alone at home, by going offline for Friday and Saturday evenings, etc. It's pretty pathetic, I know.

Here's mine: sometimes when I'm in a big social gathering, I get so uncomfortable that I have to go somewhere private for a moment to gather my wits. Sometimes that means standing outside, which in turn makes me I kind of wish I were a smoker, so at least I'd have a proper excuse to be standing there.

Latest posts

Back