Solo Travel

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidEddings

Reaction score
I'm heading for New Zealand in less than a week and, for the first time ever, travelling completely on my own.

I've tried to counterbalance the feelings of doubt and anxiety by anticipating how wonderful it will be to confront my inner self, my illusions and shortcomings, how liberating it will be to abandon my mediocre systematic life at home.

Problem is, I don't really believe that fantasy. Usually, I don't mind loneliness, but fearing my fragile personality will deteriorate once plunged into foreign waters.

What is your experiences with solo travel? How do you cope with loneliness while away?

I traveled for around eight years. I'm in the states, and haven't been outside the country, but I've been up and down the eastern coast a number of times. It wasn't much different than what I'm used to (I've always had a solitary existence), the scenery just changed a lot.

The first few days are usually the hardest if you're used to living a certain way. Change is always tricky, but travel is itself a circumstance to get used to. I wouldn't worry too much about it; take it as it comes and enjoy the experience.

I used to travel alone a lot - mostly because I figured if I waited around to meet someone to travel with, I'd never get to go anywhere.

It was a little difficult for me at first, but the more I did it, the easier it became.
I'd agree with the previous poster in that it's always been pretty much the same as what I was used to, just with different scenery. It's also a lot more enjoyable in a number of different ways - you can do what you want according to your schedule and your interests without having to compromise.

When I was younger, one thing that helped me ease into solo travel was staying in hostels. When the mood struck me, I would push myself to be more sociable than I'm used to and would often meet other travelers who would accompany me on outings, to dinner, etc.

But really, I think you'll be fine. I hope you enjoy yourself.

I have travelled alone and, in some ways, it is easier than being alone at home, as there is usually something to do/see which takes your mind off your loneliness, at least for a while. It can also give your confidence a boost, to know that you can manage on your own overseas. I hope you have a good time:)

I hope you have a great time. I have traveled alone, and sometimes it can be nice. It is harder to be lonely in an unfamiliar place than a familiar one I think. Rather than feeling lost, you almost feel free.

A few years ago I received a free trip through work because a coworker and I were the highest achieving sales associates in the district. About 5 days before we were to leave she had to cancel due to family issues. I was miserable thinking I had to go alone on this vacation but it turned out to be one of the best weeks of my life. I did meet with my cousin for dinner & a night out because he lived nearby, but every other day on my trip I was able to do what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted. I had a lot of time to relax and reflect and I came back so refreshed. I would recommend a solo trip to everyone at least once in their life- its so interesting how content you can come back.

I've actually been wondering the same thing myself. I want to travel the world, but finding someone to go with me is next to impossible. So tell me how it goes. At least they speak english there :)

Xandra said:
I've actually been wondering the same thing myself. I want to travel the world, but finding someone to go with me is next to impossible. So tell me how it goes. At least they speak english there :)

I'm in the same situation. I've been planning on leaving for months now. It's just going alone doesn't sound like a good idea to me, travelling without someone you can trust seems stupid. I'd leave tomorrow if one of my friends would come with me. I guess I'm going to have to accept that I'm gonna travel alone.

Latest posts

Back