Starting over in a new country.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello people, it's Brick.

First I want to preface this thread by saying that I've been on this forum for a while now, and after months of just lurking around this might be my first post. I'm sure some of you have thought about this topic as well so here goes.

I'm not really fond of living here anymore. It's not that it's an unstable place to live, it's just that I find my overall package to be incompatible with the culture of my country. To be perfectly honest, I lean on the introverted scale and that's a bad thing because where I live it's considered unusual or the very least "weird" to be one. There's also the problem of intolerance in my country, usually directed towards gays and people of color. I'm not either but I have friends who feel discriminated here. I could endure these like the usual traffic but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's the anti-intellectual sentiments people and the mass media perpetuate. I mean where I live, the word "philosopher" could be used to patronize someone.

Anyway... I'm done with that rant. I've been thinking of moving out of the country and starting over somewhere else, but the problem is I’m not sure where. I’ve been thinking about places like The Netherlands, Canada or South Africa but it might be difficult getting there. I don’t mind having to learn a new language as well and since I have a college education with work experience, I think the job situation can be solved on the fly. However, I’m making this post to ask people their thoughts on moving on to a new country; if there is a useful step-by-step process you can provide or if there is any advice people can give to me and others who are interested in doing the same thing.

:club:

Well, as I live in Canada, I can tell you that those issues do exist here. Perhaps not on the scale that you have been experiencing them. But I do live my introvert life quite comfortably for the most part. And I find it very easy to ignore the media.

Do you have friends/family in these places?

South africa isn't a stable place. I wouldn't move here no jobs no opportunities.

As you can see from the people here who are responding, there is really nowhere else to go.
I'm not sure where you are now but it's likely everything you face there you'll face the same or similar problems anywhere else in the world. Especially the problems that you have described.

The sad truth is these are not cultural problems. These are global human issues.
That is probably why it's not really a good idea to try to run from your problems. It is usually best to try to tackle them head-on.

That isn't to say that moving somewhere new is not a rewarding experience. It can be very rewarding. However, this is probably not one of those situations.

Latest posts

Back