Stereotypes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What stereotype hurts you most?

• ethnicity

Votes: 3 15.8%
    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • nationality

Votes: 0 0.0%
    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • religion

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • profession

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • other

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • none

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
androidhippy said:
Naval_Fluff said:
I hate stereotyping in general...It just makes it harder for all of us. It's so hard to get a job as a teen because people either think you'lre gonna steal something or just be lazy as hell. But then racial or sexual stereotyping is just as bad. I hate it, I just wish it didn't exist there's just no point to it at all. If everyone' uniqe, how can you throw everyong of one sex or one group into a category? The world is a funny place :/

Yea I think it's an evolutionary tactic that keeps us from danger. When faced with an unknown, we magnify what little info we have so that we can feel like we have some control, and that makes the unknown feel less threatening. It's a lazy way of feeling safe that hurts more than it helps.

There's a line I heard from some comedian, who's name has escaped me, that just summed up prejudice so perfectly to me: "What's the point in hating people based on race when there are so many perfectly valid reasons to hate people on an individual basis?" ;)

:D I Like that.

I think you're mistaking people's job titles for their personality. Not every architect thinks they're God. I don't even know what else to say, because you're just going to continue thinking that way. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you can think whatever you want. I just personally think it's ridiculous that anyone would actually think that.

Oh this person is this, they must be this way. Oh that person is that, they must be that way.

It's insane. Perhaps the people you know who just happen to have particular jobs are that way towards people. It's just their personality. And they would be like that no matter what job they have. Maybe t's just you that has had that treatment from people, and you'd more likely than not would be treated like that no matter what job you had.

I hate it when people ask if I'm Jewish, or say "you look like a Jew".

I'm Irish-Italian Catholic, but I have every single negative stereotype of Jewish-Americans in my life.

1) black hair, beady eyes and long nose
2) nasal voice
3) uptight, corny upper-middle class parents
4) parents who whine and moan and push me at education
5) overprotected, and went to private schools
6) parents are also snotnosed liberals (social conservatives though)
7) skinny and uncoordinated (this is changing though)
8) high-strung and worrywart (tryin to change this too)
9) takes a view as an outsider in my writing (like Marx and Freud)
10) intense, perverted sense of humor (like Borat, Sarah Silverman, Asher Roth, and Howard Stern)
11) gesticulating to the point where it's creepy (but that's the case for Italians too)

Need I say more. Like I said, I hate it when people think I'm Jewish just due to these stereotypes about my life.

Latest posts

Back