Strategy For Battling Suicidal Thoughts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeek

Reaction score
What is everyone's strategy for handling those evenings alone when you are battling suicidal thoughts and feel yourself crashing???

I try to just give up and go to sleep. I usually feel better in the morning or forget the pain that I felt the night before. I think sometimes we start to spiral downward and sleeping rather than fighting it is a better way of dealing with it...

Sleep is so important, not only for mind but body as well. That's why doctor's tell us to get lots of rest when ill or injured.

When I had those thoughts many years ago I stopped looking at the people around me that I thought didn't care about me, and started looking for what I'd miss if I was gone because, once you are gone you are gone. No more looking forward to the sequel to your favorite movie, no more eating at your favorite restaurant, no more buying your favorite magazine, no more of whatever you enjoy. Plus I didn't like those thoughts and decided it was time for me to live for me and stop letting other people get to me. I figured out what it was that was making me feel that way and stopped letting those people make me have those feelings and started looking towards people and things that made me feel happy.

I have lots of hobbies so when I start feeling down I force myself into one of them and it stops me from being so depressed.

For me, when the thoughts are getting really dark and I just want to off myself, then I turn to a technique that helps. Its called Emotional Freedom Technique, and I get a lot of benefit from it. There are people on youtube that do it, so check out this guy http://www.youtube.com/user/HealingMagic. He does a great job of explaining it and lots of videos. Nothing else seems to work for me, my thoughts just spiral out of control and unless I do something such as this technique, I would be hitting Home Depot for some rope and a small stool.

When I had the feelings all the time, I'd remind myself that, as njs888 would say, it's just chemicals in the head.

Now, it's just in the morning; but I just tell myself that what's I get up and start my day, I'll feel better.

Fill you time with something.
Also, I am a cashier in retail right now (I know that's random but keep reading). I actually talked to some psycologist lady. She told me that a big thing that helps is making something of a "joy" poster/chart. Everytime something good happens, no matter how small, you write it on you poster. That way when you are feeling depressed you can look back and realize that it isn't as bad as it seems.
Goodluck to you. I come from a family full to the brim with depression. You can make it through. You may not necessarily have depression. But making a poster might help still. Good luck!

Aedammair

Latest posts

Back