Suicide

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
daughter of the moon said:
Fine. Happy happy :D

Just wanting to make sure you're aware.

It's perfectly fine to talk about feelings and to broach the subject itself (to an extent), but under no circumstances will talk about specific methods be allowed. PM a mod if you require details.

:cool:

No worries. You're good.

I just don't handle being publically criticised well.

It's all good. Not that I was "discussing" anything, I was merely asking a simple question. There are topics out there much more disturbing than methods of suicide.
Also, I'm quite surprised by the number of "possibly related threads" showing up at the bottom of the page. I hope they all got censored as well ;)

I hope they got censored too =)

I am completely against censorship, but I am also completely against suicide. in these cases I feel like censorship is justified as a means to keep the discussions away from anything that can seem to justify it.
because in reality suicide is not a rational act and shouldn't be treated as such.

"because in reality suicide is not a rational act and shouldn't be treated as such" - Oh, I'd like to dispute that, but don't want to get crucified on here :D There's always exceptions to the rule.

I think you are safe to dispute what you like.
the rules are made to keep things under control and to avoid the perception of condoning anything.
but debates and opinions are (usualy) always welcome.
if you feel that you can rationalize it, then be my guest. if its something you fear saying in the public eye or worried about breaching forum rules, you can always PM me! =)
but I stand by my view that suicide is not a rational act, unless we are debating the merits of assisted suicide in terminally ill patients or similar cases. depression and loneliness don't qualify imho. they are life situations that can possibly change.

No suicide is not the answer, please call a hotline as soon as you can.
~hugs you~

I've given things a bit of time and everything is still the same I feel so lost about it all.

I dont think theres anything wrong with suicide, people seem to think theres some sort of infinite intrinsec value in life itself, i mean, look at all these strangers telling you suicide is not the answer without even knowing you, they read 4 lines you wrote and the know it already. So every human life is important just because? sorry but theres nothing rational about that either.
Im not telling you to do it, clearly you are not completly convinced about it, and im none to say weather you should or shouldnt do it. Just think about what you really want to do.

a lonely person said:
they read 4 lines you wrote and the know it already. So every human life is important just because? sorry but theres nothing rational about that either.

It's not about knowing the OP or not to determine whether suicide is the answer or not.

We base it on knowing that life is unpredictable, you don't know what's going to happen in your future and a lot of times we have faced some moments in life where we do feel some sense of happiness and hope - and so we do know it IS possible for good things to happen. So we say suicide is not the answer based on this, because if you choose suicide, then who is really limiting your life of any possibility at anything good happening at all? Yourself.

Have you even lost anyone to suicide? Do you even know what it feels like or the impact it leaves on others? Maybe you don't know it and maybe you don't really care, then that really points to the problem - I think in order for things to improve in life.. you gotta start caring.. for yourself and for others.

Maybe I'm talking bullshit.. but oh well.

ladyforsaken said:
It's not about knowing the OP or not to determine whether suicide is the answer or not.

That actually makes it worse

ladyforsaken said:
We base it on knowing that life is unpredictable, you don't know what's going to happen in your future and a lot of times we have faced some moments in life where we do feel some sense of happiness and hope - and so we do know it IS possible for good things to happen. So we say suicide is not the answer based on this, because if you choose suicide, then who is really limiting your life of any possibility at anything good happening at all? Yourself.

saying life is unpredictable doesnt only mean things can always get better, it means things can always get worse too, not only for the person himself, i mean, life is unpredictable! he (not, the OP, anyone, life is unpredictable) could be the next Hitler.

ladyforsaken said:
Have you even lost anyone to suicide? Do you even know what it feels like or the impact it leaves on others? Maybe you don't know it and maybe you don't really care, then that really points to the problem - I think in order for things to improve in life.. you gotta start caring.. for yourself and for others.

I only hope if I ever do, I wont be so selfish to think about the impact of this persons death in my life and the others.

Brian7 said:
I've given things a bit of time and everything is still the same I feel so lost about it all.
I suffer with suicide thoughts as well, sometimes daily even. I'm sorry you feel so lost right now. Have you ever talked to a therapist about this? Or even a friend, someone close to you?

a lonely person said:
I dont think theres anything wrong with suicide, people seem to think theres some sort of infinite intrinsec value in life itself, i mean, look at all these strangers telling you suicide is not the answer without even knowing you[...]

1. The question was not about the value or rationality of life itself/ just because, nor was our opinion about suicide requested, but about the methods... "just because" of some thoughts. Do YOU have the courage to discuss suicidal methods +/- influencing the person (consequences included)?
2. "All these strangers" reacted like any normal person would have, supporting life and the person crossing a difficult period with more or less rational thoughts (which IS natural in the life cycle), meaning they/ we care, or else the post would`ve been ignored, the person banned. Are you not also one of "these strangers" or do you know the person better and can talk at leisure about such a serious subject?
3. Everybody can talk about whatever they want in their private space and time. This is a public space, with public rules for all its members who are from many countries, have more or less serious problems, but certainly one common feature, loneliness, and as such, the profile of this site, at least as I see it, is one of SUPPORT, which by definition implies a constructive positive attitude.

This is my opinion as a member. Others before me have already said, discussion about problems, to an extent thoughts and ideas of this category may take place, but about specific methods not.
Peace!
67.gif

1. didnt understand any of that, whos talking about methods?
2. well, i never said my opinion was the general accepted one, or that yours wasnt, also saying something is "natural" is not saying much.
Are you not also one of "these strangers" or do you know the person better and can talk at leisure about such a serious subject?
no I cant,
Im not telling you to do it, clearly you are not completly convinced about it, and im none to say weather you should or shouldnt do it. Just think about what you really want to do.

3. I have a constructive possitive attitude

a lonely person - Today 05:42 AM
1. didnt understand any of that, whos talking about methods?
Answer:
daughter of the moon said:
Whomever it concerns: What would be your chosen method of committing suicide? Kinda wondering because I was thinking about this again today.
a lonely person - Today 05:42 AM
2. ...also saying something is "natural" is not saying much.
Indeed, because it is the subject of another debate.
q.e.d.

a lonely person said:
ladyforsaken said:

That actually makes it worse

I said the reason we are saying suicide isn't the answer is not based on why the person is suicidal - that does not mean we do not hear the OP out and try to understand his situation.

a lonely person said:
saying life is unpredictable doesnt only mean things can always get better, it means things can always get worse too, not only for the person himself, i mean, life is unpredictable! he (not, the OP, anyone, life is unpredictable) could be the next Hitler.

Of course, but how could you know what's to come next? That's my point. My point wasn't to say that there is always a better turn in the future. I'm just saying, give it a chance cos you never know.

a lonely person said:
I only hope if I ever do, I wont be so selfish to think about the impact of this persons death in my life and the others.

Huh? What do you mean you won't be so selfish to think about the impact? How is that selfish?

a lonely person said:
I dont think theres anything wrong with suicide, people seem to think theres some sort of infinite intrinsec value in life itself, i mean, look at all these strangers telling you suicide is not the answer without even knowing you, they read 4 lines you wrote and the know it already. So every human life is important just because? sorry but theres nothing rational about that either.

This is someone who's in pain, and you think the appropriate thing to do is pick apart other people's posts and start a debate about the ethics of suicde?

Yes, there are sometimes reasons for suicide, among terminally ill patients for example. But we get these suicide threat threads here once or twice a month. Most of the time, what they need is sympathy, empathy, understanding and a listening ear. People who are depressed and suicidal do not think in a rational way. Why on earth would you tell him "Just think about what you really want to do." How is that helpful at all?

You know, I really don't give a honeysuckle what you think of the rest of us. We're trying to encourage him to keep living, and you want to start some dumbass debate. Why don't you take it to the debate section?

Brian7 said:
I've recently lost the love of my life she no longer has interest in me and am now so depressed to the point I've dropped out of college because my grades were all failing due to me not being able to care about anything else but her. I thought the break would be a time to help myself heal but that hasn't worked. I can't find a job my parents are so disappointed in all I've become my father says I'm useless and I've no other plans in life. I've tried to keep hope but being 20 and that being the only girl things have actually semi went well with I have lost all hope in everything. I no longer want to feel this way. Is suicide the answer? Please help.

When I contemplated suicide for roughly 3 months this site convinced me to NOT attempt it ever... doesn't mean an early death doesn't cross my mind...

I hope that the data and knowledge shared helps your debate in a life saving way of course, Brian7 !

http://lostallhope.com/

Locke said:
This is someone who's in pain, and you think the appropriate thing to do is pick apart other people's posts and start a debate about the ethics of suicde?

Yes, there are sometimes reasons for suicide, among terminally ill patients for example. But we get these suicide threat threads here once or twice a month. Most of the time, what they need is sympathy, empathy, understanding and a listening ear. People who are depressed and suicidal do not think in a rational way. Why on earth would you tell him "Just think about what you really want to do." How is that helpful at all?

You know, I really don't give a honeysuckle what you think of the rest of us. We're trying to encourage him to keep living, and you want to start some dumbass debate. Why don't you take it to the debate section?

Are you being intentionally ironic or you just dont see it?
I didnt pick any post apart, you did (mine) i gave my opinion in a general way, but somehow thats wanting to start a debate.
Now the best part is when after having argued against my position you say "You know, I really don't give a honeysuckle what you think of the rest of us. ... you want to start some dumbass debate. Why don't you take it to the debate section?" I would believe you if that was all your post, but the previous pargraphs just make this last part a bad joke.

Now please guys, this post is about brian7 and his issues, if anyone else feels like picking my comments and opinions to start a debate, please do it by pm. I just didnt answer this by pm because I think i a very cheap way of arguing against someones position but its pretty common on forums, please dont do that.

a lonely person said:
Locke said:

Are you being intentionally ironic or you just dont see it?
I didnt pick any post apart, you did (mine) i gave my opinion in a general way, but somehow thats wanting to start a debate.
Now the best part is when after having argued against my position you say "You know, I really don't give a honeysuckle what you think of the rest of us. ... you want to start some dumbass debate. Why don't you take it to the debate section?" I would believe you if that was all your post, but the previous pargraphs just make this last part a bad joke.

Now please guys, this post is about brian7 and his issues, if anyone else feels like picking my comments and opinions to start a debate, please do it by pm. I just didnt answer this by pm because I think i a very cheap way of arguing against someones position but its pretty common on forums, please dont do that.

Your opinion:

Oh look. There's someone who's in pain and contemplating killing himself. Instead of providing any kind of compassion, I think I'll tell him that there's no intrinsic value in life, and there's nothing wrong with suicide. I'll also make a snide remark about the people who are trying to help.

Do you think before you post? At all? Because it seems like you were just bored. Inhumane idiotic posts like yours are common on forums, but I wish you would take it somewhere where people will put up with it. Like the debate section.

When you post crap like what you did, you're **** right I'm going to say something.

Closing this thread for now.

Just a reminder that we are all here for a reason, most of us are here to have a helpful supportive safe place to go to and talk about what ails us. Not to endure name calling, insults, or negative feedback that could be harmful towards someone seeking help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back