TED Talks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebolt

Quite a well known phenomenon, i figured. I've been wanting to share some videos that i like on here, but figured it wouldn't have much use. Still, there might always be someone who can learn something from it. And someone to challenge the expressed ideas. Maybe this should be in up for debate.

Oh well.

Here are two:

This is a bit of a reality check, applies a bit more to women than man. A model claiming to tell the whole truth.

[video=youtube]

Apparently i can only post one video per post. Time to spam. Luckily only once more.

This one is about suicide, from someone who claims to have experience.

[video=youtube]

Oh! I love TED talk! I have watched that first video what you showed before and she has many very good points. :)

I find TED interesting because it's always important to hear other persons experiences..

really good videos Rosebolt...thanks for sharing. I particularly could relate to the first one because its an issue I am dealing with right now. I liked this video because the reality is that we can't escape the superficial world. Looking good does help in so many ways, but whats important is to be aware that its superficial, so that we know how to keep our perceptions and priorities in check.

Hadn't seen the first one til I saw your link here. Fairly interesting, and I'm not surprised by the answer that insecurity is a big problem in the modelling world. If a person builds their self esteem on an appearance foundation it's subject to serious problems. The opinion of others becomes weight that is important to their self value, simply thinking yourself beautiful doesn't cut it in the modelling world. Other people's opinions matter. So their job is simultaneously their source of income and insecurity. Quite a problem >_<.

I should've started collecting videos to add to my TED favorites playlist but I'll link one that I personally enjoyed listening to recently. I generally prefer the speakers that mix humor into their talks, just makes it all the more engaging and memorable.

[video=youtube]

The only problem I have with TED talks is that you have to take the TEDx talks with a HUGE grain of salt. There is some straight up bullshit in a lot of TEDx talks. Normal TED talks are a lot more reliable. One of my favorite podcasts to follow is the NPR TED Radio Hour. They basically group a lot of talks that are about similar subjects and they interview the speakers. It's pretty good for 50 minutes.

I didn't know the difference between TEDx and TED til you brought this up which prompted me to look it up. Good to know, I guess that accounts for the difference in quality of both types of talks.

It is kind of my dream one day to be up at one of these though : ), I'll settle for TEDx!

Posting this video because it really touched me. The speaker kinda reminded me of Sheldon from the TV show Big Bang Theory but regardless, the final piece to his story really moved me. Also note this is from TED.

Andrew Solomon: How the worst moments in our lives make us who we are
[video=youtube]

Some titles that caught my eye, so I listened.
Ernesto Sirolli: Want to help someone? Shut up and listen!
"The first principle of aid is respect."
[video=youtube]

Pico Iyer: The art of stillness
"In an age of distraction, nothing can feel more luxurious than paying attention."
"... sometimes making a living and making a life point in opposite directions"
[video=youtube]

Funny. Mind distracting. Impressive storytelling skills.
[video=youtube]

What is that? Matrix? *blink* I could use such gloves, for writing purposes. Actual song starts at 13.25. How far can technology develop? :s
[video=youtube]

Latest posts

Back