Tell Us About An Experience That Changed Your Life

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Betrayals from friends. I used to trust people, now I don't. To me friendship means more than family bonds do.
Oh and my last boss, he showed me how ugly and dishonest people can be, that really changed me in a huge way.

I'm trying to think of a positive example of something that changed me forever...

I'll come back to this when I think of one.

I lol'd Sophia, I don't know why but that struck me as funny.

Positive, that's a good idea, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life. (lol sorry)

This kind of goes with the negative but out of having the ass off a boss I did, which completely screwed me up for a good year, I was able to get into a program that helped me find a decent job that surprisingly I enjoy. Completely different from what I went to school for or what I ever pictured my self doing but it worked out. I have a better boss who doesn't play psychological warfare with you.

-Moving to London when I was 20
-Graduating college
-A young co-worker's death 10 years ago this month
-9/11
-My daughter's birth
-Moving to California

And looking forward to many new experiences to come -

I guess I've been through typically remarkable events that should have left a mark in me (both my parents being close to death, their divorce, death of both grandfathers, etc.) but I don't really feel like those have changed me much. Probably what changes my life the most are the gradual steps that have gotten me closer to understand our reality. Those include:

-Finding out that God is imaginary as a kid.
-Understanding the concept of infinity.
-Understanding the concept of death and darwinian evolution.
-Gradually becoming a nihilist.

Pretty weird, I guess.

It's interesting to look back and see how things have shaped us in to what we are. Sometimes it makes me cry, sometimes it makes me smile with pride.

When Alex decided she wasn't in to me, that pretty much set the gears in motion for 8 years of love-shyness. The machinery was in place, but that served as fuel. I'm still recovering from the illness.

When I got my first job, I learned about the world. I learned about people, more about money, and what the Everyman goes through. I learned how to do things for myself, and be a man...an adult. I learned more than college could ever teach.

I had a very bitter period when I truly realized that the machinations of society around us are a lie, and that through media and faux-culture, and engineered ideologies, people are controlled to do exactly what the powers-that-be decide needs to happen. And it works FANTASTICALLY. And all strife and disagreements from the proletariat are directed at their own under the incredible illusion of two separate political ideologies. The rich get richer, corruption festers and spreads, and everyone else just gets dumber and dumber. Lady GaGa and petty arguments dominate the headlines, and anyone who suggests there might be something more important, or questions to be asked, is decried as a conspiracy theorist or a radical. It's hip to be dumb.

I am ok with that now, because the willfully weak deserve to be controlled and shepherded if they will not be master of themselves. And ultimately, I came to the realization of the concept of oblivion, and our ultimate insignificance. We live and die within the blink of an eye, and everything we have ever known is on a pinpoint of light in the panorama of existence. Everything that happens in the world is irrelevant, and whether it's in 2012 or 2050 or ten thousand years from now, the suffering and enslavement will end in due time.

Might as well enjoy my own ride, though. It's what we're here for.

Somewhat recently, entering college part-time and full-time employment at a place with a bunch of other people, I've learned that I'm not actually some default social pariah. Through taking chances I (and all of us) can actually talk to people my own age or older, and relate to them. Through hard work, intelligence and insight I can be respected and appreciated, and a part of a team, and together we can do anything.

As of late, I discovered something ancient within myself, more of a remembrance. And I discovered people of a similar mindset. Except instead of fluffy runes-and-mead reconstructionists, we're actually building a very powerful method of self-improvement, acknowledging that everything in the myths of old are, quite plainly, reflections of that which is within us, and around us. And with it, I feel unstoppable.

Look out, world. Brian doesn't live in chains any more.

Years ago, I think I was 11 or 12, my family decided to get chickens. Over the years of owning them I grew to love them (and I still do). I had a hen called Tiffany, everybody loved her, she was friendly and extremely tame, she hatched many chicks and they too grew up to be extremely friendly and tame, one of these chicks is got called Penny.
Tiffany, though tame and friendly never once nested near people, she kept it all quiet and secret and generally got on with it all by herself. Penny on the other hand let us all get involved and be a part of it all (she brought her chicks to us without prompt, and one stormy night she turned up on our doorstep with a little brood wanting shelter and we let them inside), we fell in love with her like we did with her mother Tiffany.
I feel that my experiences with my chickens so far has taught me alot of patience and to be responsible for something, I find their company theraputic, living with them has enriched my life - and I really do honestly believe that Tiffany and Penny have taught me how to love and care for another living being, they taught me how to love something unconditionally, I never realised that watching life grow and caring for something could enrich my life so much. I'm beginning to find more direction in life thanks to my chicks, I recently realised that I have a previously unacknowledged need to take care of something (thank-you counsellor :)), I find it odd now that it never occured to me previously that I was always so much happier taking care of sick animals and such things.

I got a bank account and a debit just a few years back. That was my first foray into financing and learning how to be responsible with money.

Counselling sessions have helped me alot over the years, I've finally let go of the past and am moving on.

Brian said:
Somewhat recently, entering college part-time and full-time employment at a place with a bunch of other people, I've learned that I'm not actually some default social pariah. Through taking chances I (and all of us) can actually talk to people my own age or older, and relate to them. Through hard work, intelligence and insight I can be respected and appreciated, and a part of a team, and together we can do anything.

Isn't that a fantastic revelation to have. I had it too when I moved from my small rural town to London when I was 20. When you realize that not everyone thinks you're a dork AND that the truth is, you're not truly a dork and never were anyway - what a freeing feeling to have. Life is wonderful! :)

Teresa

Latest posts

Back