The Blight

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countenance

Reaction score
Okay...I know I am a bit eccentric. I know I've messaged a few people here and tried to give them personal, one-on-one support. That may or may not come off as weird or awkward to some; it isn't to me. I am merely helping out in the best way I know how.

Anyway, here's my point: I try not to think about why I am actually here (to seek support rather than give it), because I fear that if I do, I will spiral down into one of my depressive episodes.

It seems that I, through all my efforts to enjoy life as I am, to develop my talents (composing music, writing, singing, etc.), to keep my mind and heart busy and occupied upon things that are meaningful and will help me in the end...despite all those efforts, I am nonetheless plagued with this never-ending torrential torment (the illness aide, though that adds its lucre to the mix as well). That torment is this: I was very close to a young lady once... She was beautiful, sweet. She had her flaws, yes, but she strove. It was not until the end of our relation that I became aware of how afraid she really had become of my illness. She no longer loved me. She felt she loved the sickness. That was not fair in the least! She cut our love off, and masked her fear under the guise that she was leaving the country (and she was, so I could understand separating for a time) for some time. What devastated me most was that she never returned to me. Not that she promised to, nor was I really...correct in expecting her to, I guess. She was afraid of some preconceived, pretentious, extremely erroneous notion of a future that entailed our roles as husband and wife being switched! Preposterous!

I say all this because I saw her image on Facebook this morning, and memories, like an unforgiving wave of acid pain, washed over me and didn't relent. Good memories too, and I, like a desperate, blithering, immature fool, began to pine after her, yearning once more for her company! It has been two damnable years, and I haven't found any freaking way to release the feelings I once held for her...and yet she has for me. How cruel. How unkind. How selfish! How very, very inconsiderate to just drop me (or anyone, for that matter!) like that! Like a burlap sack of rotten potatoes on the side of a dirt road! Lame.

And yet, here am I: two years later. No, in fact, here am I: a 24-year-old man, multi-talented, relatively good-looking, sensitive, kind, blah, blah, blah, and I am so damned desperate that one look has me falling head-over-heels for her again.

Hell, one ounce of attention from any young woman near or around my age has my heart swelling with hope of...something, anyway. Five times since my ex have I attempted to even ask someone to merely hang out, freely, without the stringent obligations and expectations of a full-on date! Five times, and I have received rejections as if I had asked them formally!

My situation is likely not unique. Heh, I wouldn't doubt if there are any men on this board that suffer this as well. If so, I'm sorry that you do, and I hope that your lady love crosses into your path and follows it with you, and **** soon!

Well, back to music, I suppose. I'm can't say that my focus thereon will be even remote, but it's about the only other thing I love as passionately... Good bye.

Whats up with us musicians that just seen to get over that one girl...I mean its not like I havnt had women before her after her
when u figure out how to stop loving her...let me know or put it in a song

Yeah having sex with women ur age is amazing....

"one ounce of attention from any young woman near or around my age has my heart swelling with hope of...something, anyway."

OUCH !
That hurt.
And I think it's why I fail.
That damned hope messing with my mind again
like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown EVERY TIME

only me said:
"one ounce of attention from any young woman near or around my age has my heart swelling with hope of...something, anyway."

OUCH !
That hurt.
And I think it's why I fail.
That damned hope messing with my mind again
like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown EVERY TIME

Sorry about that. I figured there might be negative reactions to this, but I didn't mean to inflict the damage done.

Sounds like she was your first real love, it might get better over time but you may never really be over her. I don't think we really get over that first love, especially if you really fall for that person. Don't be afraid to keep putting yourself out there, rejection SUCKS but man at least you are trying. (lol the radio station is play P!nk Get The Party Started kind of fitting for some reason)

In the first men in black movie, Jay catches Kay starring at a picture of woman he once shared his past life with. After some one sided playful banter, Jay says to him, 'it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all'

Kay turns around to him with a stern look on his face.

'Try it....'

I can safely say that I have never been in your shoes before, but I've played fly on the wall for alotta these things. You've gotta wonder, is it really worth opening your heart up to someone knowing full well they're gonna break it-intentional or otherwise?

Thanks to all who have replied to this. It seems that time does have a way of spreading a sort of "healing balm" on things, so to speak. Sci-Fi, she was my first real love, and I loved her intensely. I was certain beyond all certainty that she was the woman of my dreams! Apparently not. :\

Now, the things I'm about to say are not, in any way, arguments, contradictions, or negations, but rather things that I've learned. I don't wish/intend for them to be interpreted as any one of those.

In any case, it's a learning experience, that's for sure. A big one at that. Even though I often feel bad or whatever about it, I've found in the two-almost-three years of separation, I've learned about myself quite a bit. Code S.O.L., though I consider your point absolute in its validation, I also must submit these things, too:

There is not a guarantee or even assurance, dare I say, that the full knowledge that someone will break your heart (unintentional or otherwise) once it is opened to them even exists. I submit that it doesn't EVEN exist. One can't know, in almost any given situation, what the thoughts and intents of another are; we all think differently and feel differently. That to steer clear of romantic relationships period as a consideration would seem wisdom, and I would daresay also that it very well may be. HOWEVER, there is no joy like the joy of love. Allow me to explain:

In recent I've had opportunities to accomplish great things. I've sung in operas, I've composed music for live orchestras to play, and I've even composed the background score for a documentary. I tell you all now: none of that -- NONE -- will ever, ever measure up to, nor equal in any way, the depth, amount, and sheer absolution of joy that was had while I loved and was loved in return. No accomplishment, no great achievement, my friends, can ever equate to the measure of true and consummate happiness that love brings.

That, Code S.O.L, is why it hurts so bad. Love tends to magnify the most tender and sensitive of feelings, and when that bond is broken, for whatever reason, the result can be devastating.

I say all that because even though I am no longer with someone, and even though, in this thread, I cried out in misery for solace (and I kind of feel like hypocrite now, as a result) from the pain of that loss, I tell you now: if ever such an opportunity unveils itself again to me, and my own doubts don't cloud true judgment, I'll gladly take up that torch once more, but this time (having had this experience), I believe I might possibly be able to love the more completely. Call me corny, call me idealistic; call me what you all will. When that time comes (and I will know), it will be like no other.

Latest posts

Back