the difference between being alone and being lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lonelybeauty Wrote:
I never believed in lonliness until I had to face reality. I grow up in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil) and always had so much happening all around me...
Friends and a big family...One day I moved to the USA and discover that you can be so incredible lonely even when you have the world making you beleive that you have everything...

My parents and sister emigrated from Italy to the U.S. before I was born. My sister said it was a shock for her because she was always surrounded by people, both family and everyone in the small town she was born in. When my family came to America the only person who had a great and large support system was my father. I think that's the reason they did not go back to Italy. His "group" came to the U.S. so staying wasn't a problem for him.

my family has been in the US for a fari amount of generations. And I've grown up in a fairly big city it's not considered a big city but it's got about .25 mil and is growning.

But i think it's really interesting, about the experiance one might have coming here.

I think it can be normal to feel a sense of lonelyness, if you move from a real small town to a big city, even though there are more people. They are all strangers and there is less of a sense of a community. I guess here we all get caught up in out own busy lives, which probably isn't a good thing. Neighborhoods don't really try to meet eachother, or have outdoor barbaques like they use to. I guess here familys are smaller, usally only 2 or 3 kids and generations sometimes live states away.

I'm not trying to say this is where you came from, I'm just trying to make a hypothosis on why this is. sometimes, immigrants can feel alienated or worry about looking differnt, or homesick, or sometimes have trouble adapting to new cultures. I'm just trying to look at it from your point of veiw I never mean any offense, but i ubderstand that it's sometimes a touchy subject for some people.

I prefer being surrounded with friends. I had a lot of friends in high school. Now those bonds are gone in college. And I'm going to a community college where a lot of the people that enroll are out of my age range or are in my age range but are too busy because they already have children. I'm 19 so it explains a little bit of the morality of the people in my area. Kids at 17. 18, 19? Rediculous.. Anyway, its been hard to find people I can relate to.

Well Squishy_Brian, when you have that attitude its no wonder.
Now as a person who also goes to community college, and does not have a child, or do any drugs, alcohol, or even smoke. Maybe you should drop the assumptions, and the moral high ground that you do not deserve, your going to school just like these people, they are their to learn just like you, and they are not in a four year school, because of different reasons but you are not either. Statements like that are the same way that racism, prejudice are formed, and will lead you to continue being alone when good people could be right next to you and you would not know that because they have a kid. Morality is worthless when it leads you to being alone granted I am sure you could find a group of people who will help you judge others like you do but do you really want to be part of that group?

Squishy_Brian said:
I prefer being surrounded with friends. I had a lot of friends in high school. Now those bonds are gone in college. And I'm going to a community college where a lot of the people that enroll are out of my age range or are in my age range but are too busy because they already have children. I'm 19 so it explains a little bit of the morality of the people in my area. Kids at 17. 18, 19? Rediculous.. Anyway, its been hard to find people I can relate to.

That's the biggest problem I fined, ppl to relate to,

And welcome hear

ps I love your sig

Latest posts

Back