The Wicker Man remake a terrible film? Discuss!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annik

Reaction score
Wow that sounds like an essay title or something.

Anyway what do people think? Firstly I haven't seen it but I recently read a review online. When it got to the punching people in a bear suit bit I was sure the reviewer was taking the piss but then I watched the clip compilation and no! Dear god.

I mean the original Wicker Man is in my opinion a pretty good film. Its of its time and just seems to work and its pretty creepy if not actually scary. Plus at least Edward Woodward can *shock horror* actually act! Because you know at the end I was really getting he was terrified! :p

Thoughts?...

How to get bird? HOW TO GET BIRD? HOW TO GET BIRD?
HOW TO GET BIRD?

Liley said:
Nicolas Cage was in it thus i liked it. lol

That's cool if you like him. I've seen a few of his films and personally I'm not too impressed. Have you seen the original?

Hmm having googled the first film looks like there was a element of dressing up as animals in that too! Perhaps I'd blanked that from my mind its been a while since I saw it.

For me the scariest thing about the original is how much Christopher Lee dressed like this looks like me! Weep :(

I loved Nicolas Cage in that Movie :D

The best parts are:

1. When hes all confused and runs around screeming and looking at the ladies with a crazy look that says "I know yall bitches are up to something"

2. He beats the honeysuckle out of women

3. An the best scene is the last one when he screems "NOT THE BEES!! NOT THE BEES!!AHHHHGGGGHHHH"
"MY EYES!!!!! MY EYES! AGGGHHHHHHHH! :D:D

Gotta love Crazy Cage :)

SummerRain said:
3. An the best scene is the last one when he screems "NOT THE BEES!! NOT THE BEES!!AHHHHGGGGHHHH"

Honestly I laughed myself silly at that. Can I ask though how does it end? I saw the clip where they tie him up and abuse him with bees but what happens then?

annik said:
SummerRain said:

Honestly I laughed myself silly at that. Can I ask though how does it end? I saw the clip where they tie him up and abuse him with bees but what happens then?

I cant really rememberer exactly what happen but at the end they killed him with the bees and set him on fire. So they needed somone to sacrifice and it was him all along but he didnt know it.

SummerRain said:
I cant really rememberer exactly what happen but at the end they killed him with the bees and set him on fire. So they needed somone to sacrifice and it was him all along but he didnt know it.

Hmm I think that lacks the stunning visual effect of the final scenes of the original. Plus being burnt alive is more terrifying in my opinion. I only ask because someone said the endings were the same. I guess they must have been talking about the fact he was lured there to be sacrificed.

I only know what a Wicker Man really is. Never seen the movies, but I do plan on watching the original sometime :D

Peter Lorre said:
I only know what a Wicker Man really is. Never seen the movies, but I do plan on watching the original sometime :D

He he you should its a great film!

annik said:
SummerRain said:

Hmm I think that lacks the stunning visual effect of the final scenes of the original. Plus being burnt alive is more terrifying in my opinion. I only ask because someone said the endings were the same. I guess they must have been talking about the fact he was lured there to be sacrificed.

Yea I think so to, but I havent seen the old one, I hope its better than this one because all I did was laugh my ass of :D

SummerRain said:
annik said:
SummerRain said:

Yea I think so to, but I haven't seen the old one, I hope its better than this one because all I did was laugh my ass of :D

Well I think the first is good. I'd say its pretty much regarded as a British horror classic (I think Chris Lee wasn't even paid, he just wanted to do the project) though I'm not sure how scary it is. Its completely creepy though.

Its sad SO many remakes are made these days. They hardly ever top the originals. Why can't film makes have new ideas. Everything seems to be based on a book, a remake or a sequel.

it was sick, because it was a daughter being coaxed to lure her father to his death as a sacrifice.

so it kind of had that nightmarish feel of betrayal and shock that so often appears in our bad dreams.

it was like a bad dream.

most of my nightmares are about betrayal by or loss of those closest to me.

blackhole said:
it was sick, because it was a daughter being coaxed to lure her father to his death as a sacrifice.

so it kind of had that nightmarish feel of betrayal and shock that so often appears in our bad dreams.

it was like a bad dream.

most of my nightmares are about betrayal by or loss of those closest to me.

Ok well as I said I haven't seen it all the way through so I didn't know its his child that he's lured with. That differs from the original. Kind of sounds like they are milking it with that. I think the premise of being intentionally lured somewhere so you can be scarified is maybe shocking enough without some twist.

Another reason I hate remakes on the whole. Don't even get me started on that tagged on ending to Charlie & the chocolate factory. Why Chris? Why??

In a none film context I completely agree though. I used to have a lot of dreams a long those lines and even about being left behind, forgotten or ignored by loved ones.

Latest posts

Back