Tipping Anxiety

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stranger

Reaction score
I very rarely order food, but today my roommates left for the whole evening, and I wanted to spend a few productive hours studying at the dining room table, so I ordered some nice authentic Chinese food online.

I clicked on "pay in cash" option, but also selected an option to include a tip in the bill. When the delivery guy came, he gave me a really weird look when I paid the exact amount of the bill. Did he think I was giving him zero tip (the tip inclusion option is probably meant for credit-card payers), or was he just startled to see me at this address, when he's seen me on several occasions at the house of my very good male friend? Does the company steal part of his tip, making what I had included in the bill inadequate?

Ugh this seems like such a minor thing, but I just can't stop thinking and worrying about it. Also, this male friend is someone I *like* a lot, and I would be so embarrassed if he found out about this story, especially if I did inadvertently stiff the delivery guy. The tip I gave was only 10% to begin with, maybe that was a bad decision and enough to give me the reputation of a cheap customer even without the company taking a cut.

What would you do in my place?

wow, I misread the title and thought you had some sort of tripping phobia, this isn't so bad in comparison.
Anyway you should just ask the delivery guy if you see him again about the whole thing, the inclusion thing, if 10% is considered too low, all of that. It'd only take a minute and I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering real quick but its not anything to worry about.
If I were in your place thats what I would've done as soon as he made a face, just directly ask in a polite/casual sort of way.

What can you do? It's done lol.

If I were you, I'd not worry about it anymore. Too bad, if I'll be embarrassed whatsoever. Besides, the guy you like may not even know about this and even if he did (which I think is unlikely unless the delivery guy is a gossip monger?) what's the worst that can happen? You can always explain what you thought and what you actually did. Nothing wrong with that.

Isn't there an actual name for anxiety over details like this? I'm sure there is.

What Lady said, really. It's done, and there's no point in worrying about something that's out of your hands.

I definitely have this anxiety whenever I'm abroad. In this country, nobody actually relies on tips and it's very unusual to give them. At most, you round off the amount you pay in a restaurant. I've seen people try to give a tip and they were refused and treated like they were crazy.

The whole system with tips is so unfamiliar to me that I am always extremely anxious about it. Did I give enough? Was that person even meant to get a tip? It's incredibly confusing. I'm also incapable of giving a bad tip to prove a point, feels like I would be ruining someone's day.

I think I have a tendency to overtip. I revisited a particular restaurant, and although they were nice enough the first time, the second time around they treated me extremely well. Never seen such quick and friendly service in my life.

Latest posts

Back