umm......

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon420

Reaction score
so to be honest, im not sure what i expect out of this thread, i just feel like i need a change, but im not sure what to do.
rambling starts here:

so exactly a year ago, today, i got out of jail for a dui/lsoa and promised myself that i was going to make a turn for the better. but here i am, in the same situation that i was when i got out of jail, just a year older. im 21 with nothing but dreams, and a record. i cant find a job cause of the record, i have put in almost 250 applications, and got turned down everywhere. i dont really have friends, cause i am in new town, and without money/car i dont get out of the house much(for the most part twice a month, to see my nephews). i have a wonderful mom, but im going nuts not being able to get back on my feet. i guess the only good thing about all of this is im not doing any kind of drugs anymore, not that i ever really had a problem, but it cost alot of money, that i will now be saving. ever since i got out of a longish relationship (4yrs) my self esteem as been at a all time low. and im not sure what the hell to do about it, without getting friends, and getting out(that takes money/a ride) so pretty much, im asking, if you were in my situation, what would you do? im open to advice/comments.

tl;dr: im messed.

Are there any support groups for anyone in your situation in your area?

Also, I know it may not seem like it now, but having a DUI at 21 isn't the end of the world. I've known a number of people who have DUI's in their past and their lives are fine now.

Hi, just one question first. What's a lsoa?

What's good is that you realize your mistakes, you want to make a positive change in your life. It's not easy and its going to take time for people to look past the errors you made. If there are job placement programs in your area you should check those out, they can be very helpful.

lsoa is leaving the scene of an accident, i hit someone at a stop light. =/

i also have receiving stolen property (value over $500, so its a felony)

and im not sure about support groups, i dont think there is but i will google it.

Thanks for the replies.

Oh, so your rap sheet isn't all bad there's really no reason for people not to hire you besides the DUI which would be personal on the person/company doing the hiring. You're young, you are going to make mistakes. Being someone who does hire people where I work let me share a few things. First, I will admit that yes if I see someone has a criminal record I might think twice about hiring them, BUT that also depends on the "crime". Here I don't have applications so that never comes up, it's not like people put it on their resume. Now the one thing that would hinder me in hiring you is the fact that you have no transportation at your age. But not a complete negative, I didn't have my own car until six years ago, my mom would bring me into work. Vehicles are expensive, yes, but having an employee that has to either get a ride in, take a bus/taxi/walk, this means they may often be late for work. Another factor could be if you still have a valid drivers license, if you are applying for a job where you may be required to drive that would be a problem too. Your DUI should NOT be a problem, there are lots of people who have been charged with a DUI. That shouldn't come up in your hiring process unless it's directly related to the job you are applying for, like driving or working at a beer store. You're lsoa was a mistake on your part, not like you stole the item, a blemish but not a real serious problem.

The biggest problem I see you having in getting hired is your self esteem. I've been through this myself, still have self esteem issues but 8 years ago when I was looking for work no one would hire me. It was really starting to get me down, more than I already was. After my last job I did not want to end up in a similar situation, so when I rarely got an interview I was completely honest with them, maybe too much. Finally after a year I went to a job placement program, unfortunately I was just over the age limit, but the woman I talked to must have felt sorry for me. She had me write out my story and submitted it to the board and they accepted me into the program. That boosted me greatly, here a complete stranger cared enough to help me. She even helped place me into a job where she knew the guy who managed the store and knew he was a good guy. The owner of the company is head over heals above what my last boss was. I still work there and I've been managing another location that was opened for almost six years now.

Don't use Google, go into your local (un)employment office and talk to someone, see if they have job placement programs. If not find temp agencies, those can help you get loads of work experience.

Sorry for the long post.

[Not-quite-constructive post removed from discussion after being run through Developmental Review (it was kind of mean and unnecessary).]

Finding a job will probably be difficult considering there are a lot of other candidates desperate for jobs who do not have such extensive criminal records. I'll be honest, if I was to hire for a position, it would take a few years of being clean and straight before I'd look at your application, personally. Alternatively, it would take one hell of an impressive interview that assured me you were a new man ready for a chance.

I hope you've learned a lesson from it all, at least. Practice your interview skills and work on your image. You need to look, smell, and come across as civil, responsible, and probably humble to make up for your record.

Brian said:
Practice your interview skills and work on your image. You need to look, smell, and come across as civil, responsible, and probably humble to make up for your record.

QFT This is very, very important, VERY important. You have to look the part wherever you go to be interviewed. They want to see someone who is ready to hire or could be hired right on the spot and put to work. If it's an office wear a tie, if it's construction or shop dress nice but forgo the dress pants and tie. It's all about your environment, sometimes a potential employer might have you do something on the spot to test your skills. When I get people who come in to leave a resume where I work and they are overly dressed they get put on the bottom of the pile, and if they come in looking like a slob they get put on the bottom of the pile. A lot of times it's your attitude as well, sometimes you can tell when a person walks in if they want to work there or not.

Just keep your chin up, it's depressing to keep filling out applications or go on interviews and not be hired but once you start letting it get you down it shows. Try to keep positive and eventually you'll find someone who will hire you. It is tough out there like Brian said, a lot of people are out of work and places are having to cut back so it's brutal. Just keep at it though, keep going back to places where you want to work, refill applications leave another resume, eventually someone might think, hey lets give this guy a shot, he wants to work here so he might be a good employee.

Brandon420,

First, I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time. At your age, a lot of people make mistakes and the reprecussions are really harsh.

I agree with Sci Fi about going to your local unemployment agency. They may even have short term classes to educate you on something that you may be interested in, but for the most part, they may have some advice or interviews for you.

It is very hard with the job market today even without a criminal record. My brother, who has never had any record and has a good employment record of 21 years has been out of work for 2 1/2 years. What does he do? He gets up everyday, and spends his 8 hours that he would have been working looking for more possibilities for a job. He goes out and goes to every place that is near him and walks in and asks to put in an application. And, you can walk or use public transportation for this--hopefully, it is available to you. In all the years I worked, I never depended on anyone but me and always used public transportation...I just made sure I was early to get on a bus and train so I wasn't late for work.

Who knows? Maybe you will meet an employer who has been in the situation you are in.

Another thing is, if you have a local paper, there may be a place to advertise in the classified section, position wanted. I don't know how to word it, but maybe your Mother can help.

I am sorry I don't have any really good advice. Time will change things, but I understand how you can be impatient because of not having money, etc.

WishingWell said:
First, I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time. At your age, a lot of people make mistakes and the reprecussions are really harsh.

Well, I kind of disagree. In all honesty I think most DUI's should be automatically bumped up to Attempted Murder, but I have kind of a skewed viewpoint. But most repercussions for genuine crimes are completely underwhelming.

I agree with Sci Fi about going to your local unemployment agency. They may even have short term classes to educate you on something that you may be interested in, but for the most part, they may have some advice or interviews for you.

Also see about perhaps getting government help for a community college or vocational program. The best thing to do with unemployment, if you can, is to advance personal skills and build attributes.

Latest posts

Back