unhappy about wasted years of unhappiness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resist73

Reaction score
My crisis-point of unhappiness began as I was about to graduate college; it hit me that there would be no more growing up, this was really my life. I had no friends, couldn't make any, had never been on a date, had gone to zero parties, etc. And what hurt the most was knowing that this would not change. Now I'm thirty-nine and that's about how things went. There were a few brief moments of hope. About six years ago I had a sort-of-girlfriend for about two months (I don't think she would agree about the "girlfriend" label). I've had various talk and anti-depressant drug therapies. I give myself a pass sometimes from feeling bad, but the conditions that cause the bad emotions are still there so the unhappiness eventually must return.

Reading the posts here I see that most of the writers are around college age and it reminds me of all the wasted years. I think of the hundreds, or thousands, of hours spent feeling debilitated by unhappiness. And I think of all the wasted potential. Maybe I'm just going through a period of depression now and it's coloring my perceptions. But it is a measurable fact that I am alone, and I have been alone for years and I will be alone into the forseeable future. We live in the time of "it gets better". But that's not an enforceable law.

You can't feel bad about the wasted years, man.

I have social anxiety, and I'm 10 years younger than you. I am still in college. For whatever reason, I haven't grown up yet. I even still live with my mom.

But I still have hope that things can change. That's all you can hope for, that things will change.

Hello resist73, I am older than you and have to fight against regretting the past. It is hard though, and sometimes I feel really low about the wasted years. Often I feel that I am still waiting for my 'real' life to begin. The one thing that keeps me going is the hope that things will get better. I realise, as you say, that this is not an enforcable law, but without this hope I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

I agree with all the posts here. I am only half your age but I have felt many years of loneliness, and I feel as if I am waiting for my life "to start". It feels like being on a bike, you're ready to go, but you cannot move.

this seems like a beautifully made post..i relate..this is likely old news to you, (i don't know what to call you), but it kind of sounds like you may have a steppenwolf issue..i believe i do also..if you have never read hermann hesse's book, steppenwolf", i strongly suggest you give it a try..it may present to you a different look at problems you can relate to..probably won't provide any answers..but may help nudge something in you loose so that you can find answers yourself..by seeing what's going on from a different angle..i am steven, by the way..and this is my first 10 minutes or so after discovering this site..i am a lonely person..i wish you a great spring with new life and hope
stephen elijah register(i often write my name this way for informal letters and such)
resist73 said:
My crisis-point of unhappiness began as I was about to graduate college; it hit me that there would be no more growing up, this was really my life. I had no friends, couldn't make any, had never been on a date, had gone to zero parties, etc. And what hurt the most was knowing that this would not change. Now I'm thirty-nine and that's about how things went. There were a few brief moments of hope. About six years ago I had a sort-of-girlfriend for about two months (I don't think she would agree about the "girlfriend" label). I've had various talk and anti-depressant drug therapies. I give myself a pass sometimes from feeling bad, but the conditions that cause the bad emotions are still there so the unhappiness eventually must return.

Reading the posts here I see that most of the writers are around college age and it reminds me of all the wasted years. I think of the hundreds, or thousands, of hours spent feeling debilitated by unhappiness. And I think of all the wasted potential. Maybe I'm just going through a period of depression now and it's coloring my perceptions. But it is a measurable fact that I am alone, and I have been alone for years and I will be alone into the forseeable future. We live in the time of "it gets better". But that's not an enforceable law.

If you focus on whats wrong, that is what transpires into your thought process. Find a day, just one day and sit and focus on what you would like to change. Meet new people and do not fear what other think of you. Nobody is "better" than you, you are your own being...embrace that!!

bro.. dont use pharmaceuticals...

weed is the best, side effect free, drug to deal with depression, open up your mind and make stupid honeysuckle funny....

we should totally get high and watch a movie or something together on skype or something...
I'm having fun just thinking about it.

Anyone else here use skype? or some other form of voip?

resist73 said:

I also hate being left out of social things... I actually come up with reasons why that happens... and I bash myself.

But WTF.... most people are superficial anyway... honestly... that sort of mentality does not click with me... I'd rather be with smart, intellectuals than with judgemental materialistic fake masks all day.

I want to act the way that I am. Sure my communication can improve along the way cuz I make politically incorrect mistakes... but I want friends that will laugh with me as I improve...

maybe im jumping the gun a little... but I see a lot of potential to make friends here as we discover our own way out of our psychological traps.

This is the reason why I am just waiting for my kitty to die. I am not going to fix myself. Because I will have wasted so much time fixing myself that my prime will be gone and it is all downhill from there.

It is the vicious cycle that convinces me that I am supposed to be dead now.

We all have things we regret, unfortunately some of us lost years; you're not alone on this.

And yeah? It DOES get better, that is, if you WANT and DO something to make it better.

I remember those college years. More like I miss those college years.
The reason i say you turn old at 25 is because all your "growing" is done and you are now set in your ways.
When I graduated college, I think I was 22. I knew at that point that things were down hill from there. No more being around people my age. Have to finally get a job. Have to move away from home. Have to learn to be perma-single.
It will only get better if I can find a way to tun back time.

Man I miss college.

I'm 24 and I'm dropping college this week....

This was very helpful and I was able to relate pretty much 100% to it.
thanks for everyone who shared and commented here.

Please ask for skype or any chat in private message... i was looking for this talk with someone.
thanks again

Latest posts

Back