Was I wrong

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will8285

Reaction score
I met a girl through online dating and she lived in brazil. We talked for months and got along great and spent all day emailing each other at work. But then about a month before I was going to see her she started dating someone. Needless to say I was hurt and told her it was too difficult to continue talking to her.
Was I wrong for doing that?

You need some time to kind of heal from that hurt, so I don't think that's wrong. Edit: I missed the part about you two meeting on a dating site. My bad.

That sounds fair to me. You're not obligated to stay friends, it's just polite to provide an explanation and leave on good terms if you're going to cut contact.

If he was willing to spend the good money and vacation time on going to Brazil he's either rich or she gave him a good reason to buy a ticket.

She played him for a fool, seeming interested, and when it got too hot (him actually planning to go) the truth came out.

Needless to say I've gotten in the hot-cold situation several times. NOBODY should be a plaything like that!!!!! Ditch that *****. ;)

Not at all.

MOST people you meet like that - at least long distance, and including friendship - your just there until they find someone (i.e: find a partner).

Then of course they blow you off never to be seen again, idiots.

Try not to get attached for a while until you know there not gonna bin you off when someone else comes along, cause it's online it's all too easy to do this, and it's far more common than you think.

9006 said:
Not at all.

MOST people you meet like that - at least long distance, and including friendship - your just there until they find someone (i.e: find a partner).

Then of course they blow you off never to be seen again, idiots.

Try not to get attached for a while until you know there not gonna bin you off when someone else comes along, cause it's online it's all too easy to do this, and it's far more common than you think.

Yep.

You're lucky you have so much time to travel. A lot of us have Monday through Friday jobs and can't just jump on a plane and go to Brazil. As long as you didn't make big arrangements and buy a plane ticket I don't think you should be too upset. You were never in a relationship with her, just chat buddies. I understand you are hurt because she got you excited with high hopes of meeting her and you would have been willing to go all the way to Brazil to meet her. She probably didn't know she was going to meet someone she would be so interested in dating when you were chatting. So don't take it too hard and perhaps after you feel better you can still be friends with her. It seems like she still wants to talk to you.

Yeah, don't get too attached meeting people on line. You could have met her in Brazil and it could have been a one time date and nothing more. Would you have been sad? Or thought, hey, that was fun! And go on being curious about the plenty of other interesting people/ fish there are out there to contribute to your life. Stay positive!

Well I've met someone since then, but recently I contacted the Brazilian girl and she feels like I betrayed her. I didn't understand so I posted the thread. It seems like the majority agree with my decision, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking. Btw thank you everyone for posting.

I was working away one time for a long time (around 8 months) but just before I went (about 2 months), an old friend of mine got back in touch with me, it was bad timing really but we spent time together before I went and stayed in touch over the time I was away.

Basically we used to go out years back but we split, it wasn't over bad terms so everything was cool, she got with someone and he didn't like us speaking (cause we got on pretty well - so I thought anyway) so inevitably we slowly stopped talking, so she split with him a few years later an that's how we ended up talking again.

We would speak at least once a week and I'd call her a few times a week, things were going well and she even said that we could try again once I got back, I dunno what the hell happened since then but communication was reducing and when I'd call her sometimes she wouldn't answer (in comparison to the way she always answered), anyway a few months later she admitted she had been spending time with somebody else, I was really hurt by this too and I did express some anger in a letter. There was some bad contact between both of us for a bit and eventually I stopped speaking because I was so angry.

So she knew when I was back and after a few weeks I phoned her one night and asked if she wanted to meet up, she told me that she had plans and she wouldn't, but it was the way she was speaking to me, she hadn't been like it since I started speaking to her again, I just couldn't understand what had gone on, so after that I told her to forget it, I don't wanna talk anymore and since then we haven't spoke.

I still feel so angry about what went on, and I don't think I could forgive her. I know you're not supposed to dwell on things or hold grudges an all that but I've never felt so dissapointed, if this was someone I didn't know too well I probably wouldn't be that bothered, it's the fact that we had a history and I'd never heard her this way before, I really liked her and she sounded like she really liked me back, I felt as though we got on so well, but it was like I was there until someone better came along, or she got bored of waiting. But if someone claims they really like you, can this happen?

It left me questioning the way some women talk (That's not a dig at women), some throw there apparent feelings at you but then don't seem to give you two thoughts and move on. Was she lying? Can you have feelings for someone and then switch just like that? It's a mystery.

It's not just people you meet online.

Sorry if I banged on, I've never told that story to anybody else.

That's an interesting story 9006. And that kind of situation happens all too often. :(

No, you were not wrong. In fact, I would have stopped talking to her too. Long distance relationships are no relationship at all. Be careful. They virtually always end in pain and heartbreak.

Will8285 said:
I met a girl through online dating and she lived in brazil. We talked for months and got along great and spent all day emailing each other at work. But then about a month before I was going to see her she started dating someone. Needless to say I was hurt and told her it was too difficult to continue talking to her.
Was I wrong for doing that?

Well... what other step could you have taken? continue to talk to her while she was dating someone? lol come on buddy. you made the only move you could so lets keep going.

Latest posts

Back