Was let down by a friend last night

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb75

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure I've put this in the right place but hey-ho...

I don't have many friends, no surprise there or I wouldn't be here on this forum, one of the few I do have let me down yesterday and is what bought me here as I feel really lonely today :(

As some of you might know there was a big film premiere last night in the UK - Twilight:Breaking Dawn (I can hear the groans from here) I'm not a massive fan but I do like the books and films and the last 2 I went to see at the Midnight Viewing which I really enjoyed, mostly because all the people going are really into the film and so watch it without messing around etc.
Months ago I asked my friend to come with me to the Midnight viewing and she said she wanted to come and also asked if her other friend could come, I said Yes, as I had met her before and got on ok with her.
Last week I saw my friend and we had coffee, she told me she had at least 2 other people who wanted to come, I said 'Fine, but I can't afford to pay for everyones Ticket' as I lost my job, but I was happy to give my Ticket money to whomever booked it. So I left it with her to arrange it after we checked the cinema website to see when it was on etc but I never heard anything so I didn't go.
It made me sad to see on Facebook a lot of other friends and acquaintances going to other midnight showings, I wasn't invited to any of those, but to be fair, some were a long way away from me.
Now the negativity in me is thinking she went with her other friends and left me out and I feel really upset about this, in fact, for me, I don't know whether I would want to carry on with the friendship if that is what has happened.
I don't want to phone or text in case she did go last night :(

I know what the answer is but I can't do it today, I'm not sure what I want from this thread but just wanted to purge the situation and get it off my chest.

Did you hear my groan? I don't think it was quite loud enough, I'm in Canada, might have been hard to hear me...wait a second...let me try again...GGRROOOOAAAANNNNN!!!!!!!!! :D Hopefully that gave you a larf.

Anyway, I'm a little confused. Did you give your friend money, then never got to see the movie? If so...I'd ask for my money back. That sucks you got left out. There could be several reasons why, you could ask what happened, or just let it go. Either way it will be your decision if you want to try and continue on with this friendship. Sometimes friends can let us down, it happens, but if they always do it then it's time to drop them like a cold stone in a lake.

Friendship is a two way street, so assuming she went without you with her "real" friends, I'd have to agree that you should dump her. But definitely find out what happened so you'll have proper closure.

I love how good ole Fakebook rears its ugly head in here again...I remember two of my "friends" having a back and forth about getting together, and I chimed in "can I join you?" and they said of course! Next thing I see is pics of them at the restaurant -- without me, of course.

btw, the Boston Globe's review of the film was hilarious, yeah they diss it but it might give you a chuckle...

According to a recent study, 726,000 women who take the pill haven’t had sex. They must be “Twilight’’ fans. It’s hard to think of a more urgent reason than “Breaking Dawn’’ to keep your pants on and wash down another tablet with a bucket of Chubby Hubby. The movie is long and uniquely bad...

I am sure that stings a bit.

I agree with the others. Find out what happened if anything.

I am not sure if you should dump her, it depends upon the motivation.

Sometimes people are just lazy and non committal. Often they don't want to take the initiative, the planning (in this case be the one to get tickets). She may have just been lazy about it.

If that is the case...give her some slack but just know she is not reliable which is a loss in itself but not the worst.

If they went out without you, purposely leaving you out, well there you have it. You know the truth.

I onetime hosted a 4th of July party. It was at an amazing 4th block party. Very creative, beautiful and fun. Very unique. I invited an older couple. They went back and forth "no", then "yes" like I think 3 or 4 times. The last one was a "no" at the very last minute.

I was livid. I thought how rude. She didn't even have the decency to tell me herself. I let her know that it was flaky and rude.

However, looking back I realize she was just boring and not willing to try new things and flaky. It wasnt' necessarily an insult to me it's just she was boring. They ended up having a 4th dinner, INSIDE some boring condo instead.

I didn't regret dumping her though. I realized she is just too not willing to try new fun things and in that way we were not compatible. Plus she didn't apologize for constantly changing her mind. So I got over it.

Let us know what you find and what you decide.

I know what that's like. I've experienced it too many times to have any toleration left for it. I'll accept something like that happening once, but if it happens again, I consider that "friendship" a waste of my time. I'm a proud person (sometimes a little TOO proud ...), and I refuse to crawl, beg or fish for approval and attention from someone else. If they can't treat me well, I'll have nothing more to do with them. Sure, that is often the reason for me spending my evenings home alone, but honestly I'd rather be comfortable home alone, than uncomfortable out with someone else.

LadySigh

I am sorry that happened to you. Try not to take it too personally.

ladysigh said:
Friendship is a two way street, so assuming she went without you with her "real" friends, I'd have to agree that you should dump her. But definitely find out what happened so you'll have proper closure.

I love how good ole Fakebook rears its ugly head in here again...I remember two of my "friends" having a back and forth about getting together, and I chimed in "can I join you?" and they said of course! Next thing I see is pics of them at the restaurant -- without me, of course.

btw, the Boston Globe's review of the film was hilarious, yeah they diss it but it might give you a chuckle...

According to a recent study, 726,000 women who take the pill haven’t had sex. They must be “Twilight’’ fans. It’s hard to think of a more urgent reason than “Breaking Dawn’’ to keep your pants on and wash down another tablet with a bucket of Chubby Hubby. The movie is long and uniquely bad...

Equinox~

I am impressed with you! It was only in my 40's that I am not interested in trying to gain approval from others. I would try and try and try, not in a terribly needy way, but definitely gave people too many chances, especially family.

I think it's good and positive you have healthy boundaries and enough self esteem to say "no" to mistreatment.

Equinox said:
I know what that's like. I've experienced it too many times to have any toleration left for it. I'll accept something like that happening once, but if it happens again, I consider that "friendship" a waste of my time. I'm a proud person (sometimes a little TOO proud ...), and I refuse to crawl, beg or fish for approval and attention from someone else. If they can't treat me well, I'll have nothing more to do with them. Sure, that is often the reason for me spending my evenings home alone, but honestly I'd rather be comfortable home alone, than uncomfortable out with someone else.

@kb

What the...? Twilight? Put that honeysuckle away! LMAO!

Seriously, in my country Singapore, most men hates it when women are so into the twilight saga that as they always dream of 2 men fighting each other for the girl... we leave them alone until the trend dies out. As for the men, women hates it when men bought the recent release of Modern Warfare 3 and Batlefield 3... they will nag until we satisfied their nonscense and then we continue again or got sick of it....

Chill out man... let the ladies fantasize on the movie for awhile...

I've had a busy weekend and tbh I don't want to text or ring her cos I don't want to know!
I might hear from her today but if not I am going to take my daughter to see the movie on Tuesday after school, which I was going to do anyway as my daughter couldn't go and see the midnight viewing this time as it was a school night (mean but sensible mummy lol)
Avoiding 'fakebook' (I like it ;)) until I've seen the movie so they don't spoil it for me on there.

Latest posts

Back