Weird situation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamrock

Reaction score
Hello!

Please forgive me if I unexpectedly broke some of the forum rules, I'm a newcomer and don't have so much experience with this forum.
Also forgive me for my grammar mistakes (if there are any).

Anyhow, I've gotten myself in a weird situation in which I have become lonely and lost all of my close friends.

Here's my story:
I'm 19 years old now and I have just finished my high school. At first, when I started high school I was kind of a nerd, but I still had 5-6 close friends and many other good friends, neighbors etc. Then I was 14 years old. My high school is primarily focused on mathematics and IT, so I thought I found my "computer paradise". Life seemed fine, but then people from my class started to ignore me and avoid me and I fell into a clinical depression. I struggled with this depression more than 3 years and then my uncle died. It was a horrible tragedy in my family and that changed me a lot. Now it seems to me that I have completely changed from that insecure nerd I was. I lost some weight, started going to gym, I became more serious and introverted, I started reading dozens of books, I started going to nightclubs and I developed my self-esteem.
I became more ambitious. I said to myself: "Stop being depressed, it's time to make changes, to act!"
However, my close friends weren't supporting me in my plans. They fell in drug addiction. That overloaded my mind even more.
There was also a girl in my class in which I was in love, but she kept constantly pushing me away. On her 17th birthday I bought her a cross in jewelry. She took the present but said to me that from now on she will ignore me (I thought: "What the hell?!"). She humiliated me in front of my class, and by the end of high school she ended up with a guy from our same class whose father is executive manager in some profitable company. I barely managed to survive "prom dance". In those couple of weeks when everyone in my class started to seriously avoid me, I felt so lonely that I cried and vomited almost every day until I finally left high school.

Anyhow, high school ended. I always thought that I was ignored in my class because I came from poor socio-economic background unlike my colleagues. I couldn't stand that hypocrisy from people in my school so I cut all connections with those people and ended up alone. It was hard school so I was studying all the time, and by its end I couldn't even go out with anyone because I had to learn a lot for my final exams.
So, I lost connections with people from my school, I lost connections with people from my primary school, when my uncle died my family split, so I ended up only with my father and mother.

All I have "kept" are my close friends.
But my close friends are druggies. And I don't know how to help them.

I lost interest in mathematics and I enlisted myself to faculty of sociology and comparative literature. Like I mentioned before, I have big ambitions, I would like some day to pursue a career in politics.

I have found myself in a weird situation in which I have no close friends, people with who I can talk about my love life and my personal problems. I don't have a friend who will support me or even try to understand me what I want in my life.

My close friends are so deep in their drug addiction that I don't know how to help them. I mean, they're all I have, but still they're horribly dragging me down. They talk about drugs all the time. They're completely different people compared to what they were 4 years ago.

So, here I am. All alone. Without friends. It is a weird feeling since all my life I had at least one sincere friend, and now I'm questioning myself where did things go wrong?

My question is: should I stay or should I go? :)
Actually: should I dump my close friends who are drug addicts and completely cut relationship with them or should I try to help them?
(I don't want to report them to authorities because I don't want to be a traitor).

Thank you for your feedback and advice.
If you have any question be free to let me clarify my story to you.

I would also like to mention that I tested myself several times with Myers-Briggs Indicator and that my personality type is INTJ.

Hey jamrock, i've been in similar situations myself with friends high school and all that stuff, but it seems you have one thing that i didnt..you have made a path for your career and it seems you're committed to that..so i'd say first of all focus on that. whatever the situation never let anyone move you from that path...As for your friends i had a friend who became a druggie and i didnt want to cut him out of my life, but after time he only wanted to hang around with people like himself...i felt that if i keep some touch then he could reach out when he needed help...now he's so obnoxious and kind of proud for what he is doing that i became disgust and now after 4 years i stopped talking to him and completely cut him out of my life...

hope i helped a little....
p.s. Im an INTJ also..

kirakn said:
Hey jamrock, i've been in similar situations myself with friends high school and all that stuff, but it seems you have one thing that i didnt..you have made a path for your career and it seems you're committed to that..so i'd say first of all focus on that. whatever the situation never let anyone move you from that path...As for your friends i had a friend who became a druggie and i didnt want to cut him out of my life, but after time he only wanted to hang around with people like himself...i felt that if i keep some touch then he could reach out when he needed help...now he's so obnoxious and kind of proud for what he is doing that i became disgust and now after 4 years i stopped talking to him and completely cut him out of my life...

hope i helped a little....
p.s. Im an INTJ also..

Thank you for your reply!

INTJs are rare... nice to meet you :)

I'll keep in mind to stay on my way no matter the circumstances are.

So okay, I kind of know with what problems I'm faced and I kind of know what to do, but I don't know how.

My question is how should I cope with this loneliness through summer until I start going to college this autumn?

This question may sound a bit selfish, but I dislike the situation in which I am now. My college starts in two months and I really don't know what I should be doing for the next two months.

It seems to me that I forgot how to socialize with normal people.
Have you been in the same situation? How did you got out? What did you do?

Hey jamrock, sorry for the late reply.. I didnt have internet for a week..

I have faced the loneliness through the summer for many many years..The summer before my college all i did was to immerse myself in video games..for two whole months..so i didnt cope with the loneliness exactly, i actually tried to ignore its existence..

This summer im spending 90% of my day in my room studying for college and surfing through the internet..I actually joined this forum because its hard not to talk to anyone..

Now, its not selfish to want to change the situation you are in..loneliness is some kind of need like hunger and it needs to be satisfied..For starters i think you should find some things you like to do, that make you happy and they fulfill you..

But for the main situation I think mine and yours are a bit different..I didnt want to do anything to change the situation i was and still am in because i needed to be with myself and get my sh*t back together..I was feeling empty and hated people...

The easiest way to find people to talk is to get maybe a job or hang around with people other people know like if you have a brother or sister...Another person in here gave me a great advice, he said not to push yourself in this kind of situations it cant happen overnight, its slow and gradual..

Am i making any sense? i feel like im rumbling with no point...
I hope im helping you kinda...
tell me how you've been so far...

Latest posts

Back