What a fluke I made a real life friend!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samba101

Reaction score
Hi,

Well about a month ago or maybe more I was in a chat room and happened to see someone say that they were from the town I was, I was in the interpals chat room which is a place where you post about yourself to make friends online, email or by snail mail. So I quickly replied "I live there too". Well we had a private chat and then decided to msn straight away. In 2 short days I found out that Hayden just lived a few suburbs away from me and he asked if I would like to meet him for a coffee the next day. He's younger than me by 11 years but I'm used to being around a younger person since my sister is only a year older and we were both fine with the age difference.

So I agreed, that night he called me at home to have a chat and we stayed on the phone for an hour, speech came easily to me and I found myself chatting to him like I do my 2 other friends who live in another country so I don't get to see them since I moved. The day came for me to meet Hayden and I felt fine, until I went to his work and saw him then I got a bit nervous and thought should I leave, well then I reminded myself that I needed to make a friend and even though I had butterflies it was better to get it over and done with. So I approached the counter and said "Hi, I'm Carla", he said he couldn't take a break yet but to come back in half an hour, so I went across the road to the mall. Finally I went back and decided to wait outside for him, as Hayden came out we decided to go to the mall and have our coffee there.

Talking was fine, there were just a few moments when I was at a loss at what to say but everything went without a hitch we were there for an hour and a half and then we parted. The next day Hayden invited me around to his house for a coffee so off I went, again things went well and I stayed until 11pm at night only to leave since I thought I had of stayed a bit to long having got there at 9 pm.

So far so good I've been around to Hayden's for coffees and dinners and he's been to my place, have yet to catch up with him this week since I've been busy at school and I got a part time job.

Now it amazes me how well I've done, your talking to a person who used to avoid people and never knew how to converse to people because of low self esteem and finally I have a friend mind you I've been living in Australia for 2 years and haven't even tried.

I'm just glad that I get to be around somebody and feeling like a loser has now disappeared, well that feeling disappeared a year ago when I decided to start working on myself and raising my self esteem. I'm just thankful that I have a friend, though I do have 3 other friends but just that they live in New Zealand. And whats the odds of meeting someone on the internet where you live unless it's a dating website!

The only bummer is that he is moving to another city at the end of the year so I think I'm gonna prayer that he likes it here and stays.

I have another person who I'd like to make as a friend, he was my sister's friend from college and is a few years older then me, I met him at my sister's going away party and saw him at school. He saw me at lunch time and we went to the canteen together and talked but I left since I didn't really know him, so far I've seen him about 5 times since he has a class next to mine 2 times a week. Ran into him again this week and I spoke to my sister and she asked me if I wanted his phone number, I said no as it's early days yet but from what I gather he doesn't have any friends there since he's in a class with younger people and has no time for them so I'm going to ask him after seeing him a few times more if he wants to meet up for lunch and take it from there, so fingers crossed I make another friend. Great thing is that he's really nice and he's talkative too. I've met his girlfriend but we didn't have much to say but apparently she's nice too, only she's just quiet.

I've got 4 girlfriends in New Zealand who I've lost touch with over the years but I'm going to call them and see if we can re-connect as friends again, one I tried to look up in the online phone book but she's not in there so I'm gonna call some old work mates and see if she's still around hopefully she is.

Thanks I've ever really had 2 friends at one time then lost contact with them and made another friend. But I've definately had times where there were no friends at all starting at when I was only 17. And I couldn't really count them back as friends back then because I was so ashamed that I only had one or two, plus I didn't know how to be a friend. But I've turned over a new leaf.

That was a really inspiring story Samba, thank you for sharing it with us. I am happy for you, and hope that things continue to improve for you. You deserve this.

That's awesome. welll hopefully he doesn't move and the other guy quickly gains friend status :)

Hey thanks guys, I live in Adelaide it's the southern state. I rang my ex sister inlaw for my previous friends phone number tonight but she wasn't home.

samba101 said:
Hey thanks guys, I live in Adelaide it's the southern state. I rang my ex sister inlaw for my previous friends phone number tonight but she wasn't home.

Ahh, well try tomorrow night, I guess :)
I live in Melbourne. I've never been to Adelaide, but I was thinking of going over for a holiday sometime soon :)

That's brilliant to hear Samba, congratulations! We only talked properly once in chat but I know from that you're a great person and you deserve to be happy. Glad that things are looking up for you.

That is really good to hear Samba and like what everyone has said before, you deserve it. Best of luck to you and hopefully he stays around much longer.

Latest posts

Back