What are some unselfish reasons to want a relationship?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkSelene said:
ardour said:
DarkSelene said:
ardour said:
I can't think of any truly altruistic motives to be in a relationship. Everything, including appreciating someone's qualities and concern for welfare,  begins with wanting them in your life for your own selfish happiness.

By this definition anything anyone could want would be selfish, because it's a means to fulfillement/contentment.

True but I don't think people get romantically involved for the primary reason of selflessly helping another. In contrast, someone working in charitable organizations, etc., is.

Thank God. Would you want someone to be with you as charity work?

VanillaCreme said:
Rodent said:
To prevent your race from dying out? Wait, I probably thought a bit too pragmatically about this...

I'm too many things to bother. Plus, there's plenty of Puerto Ricans.

Imagine how the Chinese feel

Although their demographic crash is coming, at least on the mainland.

hmmm.

I guess the closest thing I can come up with is that its unselfish knowing that theres still a 50% chance of a win or loss in the relationship. That 50% chance to determine if its your forever or if its going to end up in tears and heartache.
I guess its unselfish to know all of these risks and yet still be prepared to pursue or be pursued.
No matter how good the validation is, or the comfort, or the safety zones and compliments, its unselfish knowing that relationships dont work out necessarily the way you want them too or how you want it to.
Its unselfish if you keep staying.
Its unselfish if you keep loving.

I don't think there's anything inordinately selfish about wanting other human beings to validate you. To be appreciated by others of its kind is a function of higher vertebrates.

To *need* the validation of others is deleterious to one's happiness, but I don't think it's selfish.

Latest posts

Back