What are you reading.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been planning on reading a book per month, because I hate the fact that I spend all my free time on the laptop with the TV. I feel like I should be doing other things, like learning a language, a skill, or music. So I just need to find the right book to get started. I'll read for 30-60 minutes every day and make it a habit, like exercise or flossing.

I prefer books, I get bored with the moovies(except some), they go on one speed, and while reafing I can read faster or slower.
There was such a thread there so I guess reading is still popular. And there are still webs like goodreads. So I think a lot of people still read. I also sometimes see reading kids.

I don't have much time for reading though.

Last thing was How Not To Die Alone by Richard Rope. Have just finished it.
Funny, but not very interesting, not good, not bad.
Now I'm reading about Van Gogh.

Those 2 I wasn't going to read, I worked from library last wendesday and there they had the books on the shelves calling 'cmn, take us, open us, read us'. They were so convincing that I left with 2 book in the hands :unsure: (that would be ok if I didn't have a e-book)

One thing upsets me, books are very expensive. So I just Google them sometimes.

PS I was once called uneducated for hadn't watched some moovies like Intestellar))

Do people still read?

The internet has suppressed many simple joys. Why invest in reading a whole book, when YouTube can encapsulate it within a 5 minute video.

Regardless, I still love reading, the smell of books, the serenity of book shops and libraries.

My favourite authors are:

Terry Pratchett
Tom Holt
Piers Anthony
John Brosnan

Biographical follows the fiction, with varying success. Some entertaining people, write some very boring books. Whereas, some wonderful biographies come from simple honesty and detail.

I have vowed not to but any new books this year, as I have too many still needing to be read.

Great, another reader. My children bought me a gadget, but I prefer real books. Presently I am reading The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory. She is an authority on women's history (the book jacket says). I like escaping into her novels.

I'm looking for smth easy, fantasy(but not horror) or detective. In English(originally).
Can you guys advise something pls?(except the things/authors that are mentioned)?

I finally started reading Brave New World after wanting to for years. 60 pages in, it's pretty awesome, but obviously a product of the 1930s. God has been replaced by Henry Ford, so people keep saying "Ford, I hate that!" or "Ford, Ford, Ford!" Dates are now "A.F." for "After Ford." People are no longer viviparous and the Controller tells a group of awe-struck students how lucky they were to have been created in a laboratory rather than raised by parents in "homes." I'm pretty much sucked in.

I just finished the 30th book in the American Presidents Series on Herbert Hoover (Hoover was the 31st president, but Grover Cleveland's two non-consecutive terms only make up a single book, making the series forever after off by one). Part of his bad reputation comes from bad luck, part of it from bad decisions. He did help feed millions of starving people, before and after his presidency, but his often deluded megalomania makes him a hard person to identify or sympathize with. FDR easily clobbered him in the 1932 election, all the while blaming him (somewhat unfairly) for the general misery of the Great Depression. The FDR book is next.

Last edited:
Just have finished Scythe trilogy by Neal Shusterman.
Now I'm reading The Night Circus.

And just finished She Has Her Mother's Laugh By Karl Zimmer - quite an interesting book about a genetic's history.

I'm Reading "Vietnam: The Ten Thousand day war" by Michael McClear

and "Vietnam: An epic Tragedy 1945 - 1975" by Max Hastings

Does anyone use e-reader?

Not sure what readers are there on the market, but may be the same.

My Pocketbook is broken now. In fact 2 of them. These are good readers except very sensitive screens, a strict look and a reader is cracked. And they don't take it is a guarantee case.

I can't deside whether to fix my readers(a price of a new screen is as a half of a new reader) or to try something else, may be Onyx Boox. The other option is Kindle, but I prefer fb2 which is not supported by Kindle.

Latest posts

Back