What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like all I ever do anymore is work. I really need to get some type of schedule down so I'm not feeling this way. Sadly, I don't think that's going to happen until the kids are back in school. Which, is when I will be busier. lol

TheSkaFish said:
Paraiyar said:
Where did all the time between 2008 and now go?

I hear that. I messed myself up very badly due to extremely pessimistic beliefs I was convinced were true, and it made me very unhappy. I really wish I could do it over again differently.

Entirely separate, and to no one in particular, but I'm getting really fed up with something. In a lot of the dating advice I read lately, it all seems to suggest something like "Bars and clubs good, video games and 'nerdy' interests bad". As if bars and clubs are the inherently correct interest to have, and if you are not interested in it, then you are the one with the problem. I feel like I'm in high school again - what the "cool people" say goes, and everyone else just has to deal with it. Screw that. One of the only things I like about being an adult is realizing that people like that don't have, and have never had, any real power over me. It was all in my head.

I don't know. I wouldn't mind going to bars occasionally but I'm just not crazy about it. And I'm not interested in clubs whatsoever. I don't like the music, the atmosphere, any of it. Mostly I'm just fed up with the idea that my interests are somehow "wrong" or inferior. That's been something that's been making it hard for me to have confidence, my whole life. I've only recently gotten past it.

Argh. I guess it's my fault for continuing to read it, and I should really make a better effort to complain less, but I just had to get this off my chest.

It's not that your interests are wrong. It's just that they may not appeal to that many women early on. I'm really into history but I've learnt that it's better to be careful about bringing it up as a topic with women, at least early on and without them having mentioned something related to it.

TheRealCallie said:
Your interests aren't wrong. They are YOURS, you get to decide what you like and don't like. You can meet people anywhere that has people.

But in all honesty, a lot of people your age go to bars to socialize and meet people, so it's not really a bad suggestion, just not for everyone.
I never cared for the bar scene myself, but you can meet people there. Not always the right people, but people nonetheless.

Yeah, I know deep down my interests aren't wrong, no one's interests are wrong as long as they are not hurtful or evil. I still don't like the cultural stigma against people with my interests, though. I don't think bars are necessarily evil, and I'm not a teetotaler by any means. I just get a little frustrated when people act like alcohol, weed, sex, or anything like that is the greatest thing ever.

I wouldn't mind it as much if they just said, going to bars is an alright thing to do. I would agree with that - it's alright, it's okay. It is one way, not THE way. Just not the best thing in the world, and not "stop doing what you do, and be like everyone else".

I really shouldn't still be letting this stuff get to me, though. I've ranted about this stuff too much already.

Paraiyar said:
It's not that your interests are wrong. It's just that they may not appeal to that many women early on. I'm really into history but I've learnt that it's better to be careful about bringing it up as a topic with women, at least early on and without them having mentioned something related to it.

Yeah, that's a thing I've noticed. It's hard to find someone that I'd actually want to get to know more. It only makes me feel that the women I knew who were into deeper things and weren't that much of bar people, were that much more special.

I'm kinda surprised about not a lot of women liking history though. Not that history would somehow appeal specifically to women but that there's a lot of room in there for conversation pieces.

I imagine I'm going to be on a little bit of a history kick once Battlefield 1 comes out, haha.

TheSkaFish said:
Paraiyar said:
Where did all the time between 2008 and now go?

I hear that. I messed myself up very badly due to extremely pessimistic beliefs I was convinced were true, and it made me very unhappy. I really wish I could do it over again differently.

Entirely separate, and to no one in particular, but I'm getting really fed up with something. In a lot of the dating advice I read lately, it all seems to suggest something like "Bars and clubs good, video games and 'nerdy' interests bad". As if bars and clubs are the inherently correct interest to have, and if you are not interested in it, then you are the one with the problem.

That advice, I feel, does come from a limited outlook. If you wanted to meet someone who liked videogames or science fiction (or both), bars and clubs probably wouldn't be the way to go (unless they had a geek-themed trivia night or something). Then again, since "nerdy" interests have skyrocketed in popularity, maybe you might run into someone who likes drinking *and* can debate the merits of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Just to give an example.

reynard_muldrake said:
That advice, I feel, does come from a limited outlook. If you wanted to meet someone who liked videogames or science fiction (or both), bars and clubs probably wouldn't be the way to go (unless they had a geek-themed trivia night or something). Then again, since "nerdy" interests have skyrocketed in popularity, maybe you might run into someone who likes drinking *and* can debate the merits of the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Just to give an example.

That is true, in recent times with all the superhero movies and the new Star Wars, and all of what's been going on, there has been a lot of interest in that stuff. I guess I'm still thinking of how things were before that, when I was into that stuff but no one else around me was. It is something of a relief that things aren't as bad as that anymore.

I could find someone who likes drinking and could debate Star Wars, enjoyable. I still might not be that into going out though, because I lean more towards the introvert side. Small gatherings are more my speed.

I think I'm about to start a three year plan for an album made up of one single track for my solo project Paraiyar. The album/track is going to be called 9999 based on notion of existence in the year 9999 as being an experience totally beyond our conception in 2016. I'm going to have to a LOT of preparation for this and I want the three year time frame to make everything perfect. Man I hope I can commit to this.

Can't sleep, need to sleep. Will be grumpy tomorrow with lack of sleep, the more I think of lack of sleep, I can't sleep. FFS.

Paraiyar said:
I think I'm about to start a three year plan for an album made up of one single track for my solo project Paraiyar. The album/track is going to be called 9999 based on notion of existence in the year 9999 as being an experience totally beyond our conception in 2016. I'm going to have to a LOT of preparation for this and I want the three year time frame to make everything perfect. Man I hope I can commit to this.

Perhaps if I tell you that I expect progress reports, you will feel more obligated :club:

Just kidding, of course. It sounds like a great plan! You've certainly sparked my interest.

Is it for Tom? No, N, not at all. She sent it for your benefit. You're the most exasperating troll I've ever met, but it's hilarious. The constant pranks are a little odd at your age though. I actually miss those guys. hmm.

Really... But it smells so good, uncooked and definitely when it's cooked. So good. And soft and sweet.

My step daughter came home crying into my arms how the new ghostbusters was a piece of fat honeysuckle. She says she's going to write to the better business bureau for a refund and for emotional liability.

Yeah, good luck with that one, dummy.

Latest posts

Back