What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neighbour has just complained to my mum via messenger because my guitar is apparently too loud since its 10.30pm. And she says I should use headphones...

I'm playing my acoustic guitar, my mum can hardly hear it downstairs, and the wall between our house and the neighbour is solid brickwork

dafuq is going on there.

Ive played video games at this time louder than that, watched films louder than that. Shes an idiot

DarkSelene said:
Is being in love with xyz the same as loving xyz? If not, what's the difference?

Huge difference, and a very deep question.

Someone gave a very accurate definition of love.  What is love?
"Love is the sensitivity towards beauty."

If it is a sensitivity, then it should depend on us, not the other.  Because sensitivity is an individual's quality.
It is a basic fallacy that we (most of us) carry all the time, that "I love someone"(xyz person/animal/etc). The love is addressed. Its like saying, "I will breathe only for you."  or "I will eat only for you."  By doing that, the true meaning of breathing and eating are destroyed. Same thing for love. 
Whether you are with someone or with someone else, or alone, you breathe. 
It is not a question of being in love , i would call it, being love . So it shouldn't be, "Am I in love with someone?" nor "Am I loving someone."  One should think, "Am I loving or not." Yes, it is a quality. You can't be in love, you can be love.  It sounds philosophical, but is grammatically accurate if love is a quality. Otherwise it would be like saying, "I am in smart." which doesn't make sense instead of  "I am smart."
Love is independent of the object, it is a result of our own subjectivity.

DarkSelene said:
Is being in love with xyz the same as loving xyz? If not, what's the difference?

The difference is intent.  You LOVE your best friend, but you aren't IN LOVE with them.   Being in love implies romantic feelings and simply loving someone is platonic, IMO.   It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the easiest way to explain it.

M_also_lonely said:
DarkSelene said:

Huge difference, and a very deep question.

Someone gave a very accurate definition of love.  What is love?
"Love is the sensitivity towards beauty."

If it is a sensitivity, then it should depend on us, not the other.  Because sensitivity is an individual's quality.
It is a basic fallacy that we (most of us) carry all the time, that "I love someone"(xyz person/animal/etc). The love is addressed. Its like saying, "I will breathe only for you."  or "I will eat only for you."  By doing that, the true meaning of breathing and eating are destroyed. Same thing for love. 
Whether you are with someone or with someone else, or alone, you breathe. 
It is not a question of being in love , i would call it, being love . So it shouldn't be, "Am I in love with someone?" nor "Am I loving someone."  One should think, "Am I loving or not." Yes, it is a quality. You can't be in love, you can be love.  It sounds philosophical, but is grammatically accurate if love is a quality. Otherwise it would be like saying, "I am in smart." which doesn't make sense instead of  "I am smart."
Love is independent of the object, it is a result of our own subjectivity.

Isn't that kinda like "am I capable of love?"

Love is independent of the object, it is a result of our own subjectivity

This is very interesting.

TheRealCallie said:
The difference is intent.  You LOVE your best friend, but you aren't IN LOVE with them.   Being in love implies romantic feelings and simply loving someone is platonic, IMO.   It's a little more complicated than that, but that's the easiest way to explain it.

But if you are in a relationship with someone for a long time and you love them, that's a romantic feeling, are you done being in love with them? Is it only "in love" when it's not real yet - just the intent?

DarkSelene said:
TheRealCallie said:

But if you are in a relationship with someone for a long time and you love them, that's a romantic feeling, are you done being in love with them? Is it only "in love" when it's not real yet - just the intent?

Take my situation for example.  I was (technically still am) married, I was in love with him for years, even a few years after he left me.  I wanted to be with him romantically. Sex, family, dates (not that I ever really had any with him), etc etc....
Now, I still love him, but I don't want to be with him, so I just simply love him.  More like family than as a significant other.

DarkSelene said:

I'll treat this as a romantic question, and say that it's not the same.

Case: 1, You can be in love with xyz while not loving most of the things xyz does, or does not. xyz could even be quite bad for you, even harmful ;), and still you can be in love with xyz.

In that case I'd say you are not loving xyz, but in love with xyz.

Case: 2, The difference between being in love and loving someone, being in love is often a very flighty state off mind, based on short encounters and/or a limited frame of reference, it can lead to the start of a relationship and with it it could die or grow into a loving relationship.

In that case I'd say loving is a step up from being in love.

This is ridiculous, but tastes great and except for the sauce is really healthy. I need more of this.

Latest posts

Back