What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty common in America. I think almost half of babies are born to unmarried mothers. And half of children will have their parents divorce. I really don't understand the big deal. .......
The big deal? Have you seen the state of your country? I'm sorry Callie, but you're probably a great parent, but there is definitely a correlation between the behaviour of children today and the breakdown of the family unit.

The big deal? Have you seen the state of your country? I'm sorry Callie, but you're probably a great parent, but there is definitely a correlation between the behaviour of children today and the breakdown of the family unit.
I disagree. There's a correlation between the behavior of children and how people parent said children. IE, many of them don't bother. TVs, phones, computers are now the babysitters. There is little to no discipline since nearly everything is considered child abuse these days. Kids aren't always monitored. And then they hang out with kids who also aren't monitored. THAT is what leads to bad children growing up to be bad adults, not whether or not their parents are together. Some kids learn, some don't. Some people make excuses, some don't. Sorry, but parents being divorced and/or not together is just that...an excuse so they don't have to blame themselves.

I know it's almost become cliche at this point for me to say this, but I think capitalism is at least partially to blame.

Parents might have to work longer hours, meaning they have less time and energy to teach kids right and wrong. Or the parents assume someone else is teaching the kids that, like teachers at school, so the parents don't do it themselves. Or no one is doing it, and like others have said, kids are learning their values from the internet, and the influencers on it.

Plus there's the general mood that's going on lately, the mood of everything's f*cked, it's over, it's all going downhill, despite the corporate futurists telling us that things are getting better, when for most people it's clearly not.

I think the game has been pushed past reasonable levels of difficulty for most people to deal with. Most people aren't cut out to make it in this f*cked up inflation world. All of this combines to create a nihilistic fog, as well as increased anxiety, tension, aggression. It's pushing most normal people to the brink.

I disagree. There's a correlation between the behavior of children and how people parent said children. IE, many of them don't bother. TVs, phones, computers are now the babysitters. There is little to no discipline since nearly everything is considered child abuse these days. Kids aren't always monitored. And then they hang out with kids who also aren't monitored. THAT is what leads to bad children growing up to be bad adults, not whether or not their parents are together. Some kids learn, some don't. Some people make excuses, some don't. Sorry, but parents being divorced and/or not together is just that...an excuse so they don't have to blame themselves.
I think you’re choosing to ignore what I’m saying. To re-iterate, the way two people interact, solve challenges, overcome conflict, treat one another, gives their children the foundation of being a better person. Individually given advice etc is fine, but without the partner present, the children miss out on direct observation of such valuable interactions and find it elsewhere, whether it’s good or not. I’m not saying that individually the parenting is poor, as I’m sure yours is not, but there is a missing aspect that the child doesn’t experience. Get me?

Plus there's the general mood that's going on lately, the mood of everything's f*cked, it's over, it's all going downhill, despite the corporate futurists telling us that things are getting better, when for most people it's clearly not.

This is something I think about regularly.

If it's any consolation, though (and I think it is), everything points to this being mostly a Western phenomenom. Few people in the East see things like this. On the contrary, I'd imagine that most orientals who are given to the contemplation of such matters probably feel we live in a new aurora of sorts, with the possible exception of the Japanese (and perhaps a few other nationalities). It's curious to think that many of their customs and propensities seem to naturally remedy several - if not most - of the gravest problems that we, as a collection of cultures sharing a certain similarity of style, face, though ultimately only a more profound, fundamental change could really tackle the roots of our ills.

Thank you everyone.
It's pretty common in America.
In my country too, maybe not the half though, but somehow they stay out of my radards. Thanks.

I know it's almost become cliche at this point for me to say this, but I think capitalism is at least partially to blame.

Parents might have to work longer hours, meaning they have less time and energy to teach kids right and wrong. Or the parents assume someone else is teaching the kids that, like teachers at school, so the parents don't do it themselves. Or no one is doing it, and like others have said, kids are learning their values from the internet, and the influencers on it.

I agree at some points. Not only because the work longer though, some don't but it changes nothing.

Where I used to live there were bad and good schools, where I live now they are all the same till the high school and I like it, much more healthy, less bulling in the schools, happier children. Enivroment matters as well, IMO.

Playing the long(er) game even if it does cause me some heartache along the way.

Last edited:
I wonder what job can I have, that doesn't need any talents, any specific skills or skills that can be learned/retrained fast and that one where ChatGPT(or others) is not going to replace me too fast... and where people 40+ are OK to start. And which can be a second job or a relatively well paid one. And which is calm. If it does exist, probably it doesn't at all.
Some kind of tutor maybe(6 month to retrain).

Other possibilities is to get a tutor myself to try be more succesful in my own job, but I'm quite tired of it and maybe it's not worth it.

I think you’re choosing to ignore what I’m saying. To re-iterate, the way two people interact, solve challenges, overcome conflict, treat one another, gives their children the foundation of being a better person. Individually given advice etc is fine, but without the partner present, the children miss out on direct observation of such valuable interactions and find it elsewhere, whether it’s good or not. I’m not saying that individually the parenting is poor, as I’m sure yours is not, but there is a missing aspect that the child doesn’t experience. Get me?
Nope, I understood what you were saying perfectly. I just don't agree.

Sorry, I don't live in a village.....
MV5BNzBkNWJjY2QtZWY2NS00MjU0LTk0M2UtY2JmN2ExZTJiNTI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

I've 'reached out' to other men over 30, and mostly just found a lot of lazy, indifferent, non-committal attitudes.

Physical exertion and getting out of the comfort zones is like kryptonite to these old men. My attitude isn't the problem now, this has to involve reciprocation and effort from other parties.

Over the last few weeks I've reached the conclusion that village life isn't for me. I'm off to Chengdu in China with a woman I barely know .... what could possibly go wrong?

We ride at dawn.

Yikes. I thought things with the Chinese woman went up in flames?

Either way, I'm no expert but the situation between the West and China seems kind of dicey right now. Seems like it could be a rough part of town.

Stay safe man!

Latest posts

Back