What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hope i dont have any "lonely" dreams tonight. i dont really want to feel sad all day tomorrow.

AUGGHHHH!!! prof says I need to redit the crap out of my essay again

that's going to take even longer than it did to write in the first place, and I've got a geography assignment reading due tomorrow

GAHHHH fresia YOU!

evanescencefan91 said:
AUGGHHHH!!! prof says I need to redit the crap out of my essay again

that's going to take even longer than it did to write in the first place, and I've got a geography assignment reading due tomorrow

GAHHHH fresia YOU!

That sucks! >=(

What are you writing about?

I'm doing an analytical piece about the osegerg ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseberg_ship

and what the art of the ship tells about the culture and society of the blah

I wish my roommate would get back soon to help me with transitional statements L(

my prof says I need to crank up my thesis statement god **** it my thesis statemnt is fine

:(

hey any of you guys want to read my six page poorly written essay?

not waiting for a reply

LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG POST

The ancient Viking ship known as the Oseberg ship was found buried in a mound in 1904. [11] This discovery raises several questions about the ideas and values of the society that created this maritime piece of art. Why were the bodies of two women, several dogs and horses found buried in the ship? The ship is decorated with ornate hand carvings depicting abstract animals and curving interlacing designs. What was the motivation behind these eccentric carvings? Why many carts, sleighs and chests were were found on the ship with similar markings? The art and detailed design of the Oseberg ship is a product of the culture and values of the Nordic society at this time.
The Oseberg Ship was a burial ship, the bodies of two women were found on the ship one was aged 60-70. As a woman got older she was seen as a higher rank in society. [2] Also because of her burial in the ship with lavishly decorated sleds, chests, it is suspected that she was of high rank in society when she died. It was believed that the deceased would need to be buried with such objects for use in the afterlife. [9] The other woman was younger around 25-30 years old was buried in the ship. There is not enough evidence to determine if the two women were related. [4] The bodies of three dogs and fourteen horses were also found onboard. The animals were most likely sacrificial. During the time of the Viking era, the Norsemen were primarily pagan, in which animal sacrifices were common. It is not known whether or not the younger woman was sacrificed as well, but it is a possibility. During the age of the Vikings slaves were defined as property and owners were legally allowed to kill them. S, most commonly female would be ritually murdered to accompany their master or mistress to the afterlife. [2]
Many of the Nordic settlements were in southern Norway and Sweden near the Atlantic Ocean. Boating and fishing became a crucial part of Norse life style. The Norse diet consisted mainly of fish and creatures of the sea were idolized for sustaining their culture. Boating was used for trading, transportation and exploration. Martime exploration was prevalent from the 7th to 11th century. Because land on the Scandinavian islands and peninsula was mountainous with a cold climate, as well as an expanding population at the time motivated the Vikings to explore Northern Europe and Iceland for places to build new settlements. [8] The Viking long ships was a symbol for journeys and explorations to new worlds, and it became seen as a vessel for the spirits of the dead to travel to Valhalla; the Norse version of heaven. This is why the deceased, most notably royalty or people of high class, were buried in these ships in the belief that the ships would carry them to the afterlife.
The ship is over 20 meters long and five meters across. The oak ship is dated to have been built in early 800 AD and buried in 834 AD, during the flourishing of Viking and Norse mythology. [10] The ship was discovered at the Oseberg farm near by Tonsberg, on the west coast of the Oslo Fjord In southwestern Norway. The ship is now on display at the Viking ship museum in Oslo Norway. [11] The ship was constructed by using oak planks that were riveted together using iron rivets. The planks were made by splitting old growth trees. Ribs were added on the sides to maintain the curved shape of the boat. Each level of planks would overlap the one below it to make a strong hull of the ship. The design of the ship is believed to be an early Viking long ship and is considered to be the oldest clinker-built ship discovered. This was built not long after the invention of the sail and rig ship in Scandinavia. [9]

The front and back of the Oseberg ship curve upwards and end in a sleek coil with a carved serpent head at the end.

With patterns of Interlacing animals that create a knot like figure eight pattern are carved into the bow and stern of the ship. The ribbon shaped animals swell and thin out, adding a sense of flow and movement to the pattern. The contours of the carvings add character to the flat wooden surface and stand out against carved background. Because of the Nordic seafaring culture, the knots used to fix sails and secure ships to docks may have had an influence on these artistic traditions. Wood carpentry was also an important skill in Viking culture, because of vast amounts of timber available wood carvings were a common motif in traditional art.

The bedpost found on the ship, also curves upwards into the figure of a snarling beast with big eyes and sharp canine teeth.

There is also a triangular viking symbol on the bedpost known as the Borromean Triangles. The Borromean Triangles are three or more interlocking triangles also known as Odin’s Triangle (Odin was the Pagen God of Thunder and father of Thor) or the Walknot meaning knot of the slain. This rune was thought to symbolize Odin’s power to put binds on the mind of the enemy so that they would become helpless and immobilized in battle. This emblem was often placed on the graves of Viking warrior to ensure their journey to Odin’s palace “Valhalla” also known as the castle of the slain. [3]
Five head posts were found gathered together in the corner of the ship. These head posts were of maple wood and were carved into heads of vicious beasts and creatures. The figures all have handles on the sides implying that they were meant to be carried and were not attached to any structures of the ship. Because of the handles and their positions on the ship indicates that they were merely of mystical and religious significance. [9] One of the head posts depicts a dragon with a long snake like neck and large teeth. Numerous jewels and small metal ornaments are embedded in the figure.

Dragons and sea serpents were prevalent in Norse mythology. Jormungad is the mythical offspring of the Norse god of mischief Loki and his wife Angrboda, and was believed to be a great sea serpent that battles the Norse god Thor in the great battle ragnarok. Dragons and sea serpents were carved on the bows of ships to protect the Norsemen during sea voyages by scaring away serpents and other sea monsters in the water, as well as to intimidate and strike fear into their enemies. The sea serpent was also considered to be a symbol of the Viking valor. [12]
Most of Viking art is known as the Nordic animal style that originated from the fourth century AD and became a fundamental aseptic in Nordic art. When this style first appeared in Northern Europe it had many foreign elements to it, drawing inspiration from Western Europe and Ireland. [11] But by the start of the Viking era the foreign attributes were suppressed and the indigenous elements were more dominant. By 750 the indigenous art had evolved into the Broa/Oseberg style that consists of winding beasts with multiple tendrils. These designs are highly stylized with an abstract play on lines, which makes the creatures unidentifiable. [1]
Along with carvings metalwork was a part of the culture, and was one of the main art forms. Because of the difficulties of creating realistic images in metalwork, most of the Nordic art was abstract. The interlocking gripping beasts are not portrayed realistically, with unusually large eyes and long necks, with their limbs bent in unnatural legs. This supports the belief that these animal carvings were more decorative and symbolic.

The Oseberg burial held the largest and most diverse collection of textile materials that has been found in a single grave. Including tapestries, blankets, and patterned fabrics made of wool and linen. The tapestries feature many bright colors including a vivid red design with geometric figures that create contrast against the white background. Generally the women of the Nordic society were involved in textile making including the weaving and stitching of the designs. [6]

Each sect of the society was involved in the creation and burial of the ship from the royal dead and the sacrificed servant. The skilled craftsmen and the men involved in the building and carving of the ship and women to create the tapestries. There are many intricate details about Viking and domestic life that can found from the art of the Oseberg ship. Because art is commonly an expression of a cultures or one’s own values; the religious values, society and even the local environment have an impact on the art that leaves a legacy that can still be seen today.

haha :p

btw

*hugs callie*

I hope you feel better soon :(

That was NOT 6 pages...was it? lol
And thanks, between the physical pain I caused myself and the emotional pain my jackass husband caused, I'm a **** mess right now. Oh well, such is my life lately.

yes although I'm currently using a much bigger font with pictures

but it's about 1500 words

I wish I could be with my friend right now. She's my only friend in the world... but she lives in Kentucky and I live in Illinois. I wish we were neighbors.

*hugs kayota*

AHH of course now whenever someone proof reads my stuff I feel insecure about my crappy essay writing skills

don't feel bad evanescence, i always feel bad for you and your stress over essays. they are not all their cracked up to be.

they don't define or prove anyone's intelligence.

they don't necessarily make anyone learn.

in fact, they most often belittle peoples true intelligence.

and, i apologize, i could be wrong, as i often am, but most of the time its a waste of ******* time!

if someone is genuinely interested in something they are. and if they feel compelled to write about it they will.

noone will have to force an essay down their throat.

good luck

ah thanks csmwhs I appreciate it :)

I've still got two more left this semster :(

so the encouragement helps

:)

evanescencefan91 said:
ah thanks csmwhs I appreciate it :)

I've still got two more left this semster :(

so the encouragement helps

:)

[youtube]abP1O5mg66U[/youtube]

no problem good luck!:D

i'm thinking about my problems, and solutions, and struggles.
Why can't i check them off and never revisit them.
It feels like i win to lose.

I get better to get worse.

I'm not talking about the ups and downs of life. I get sometimes you feel happy and sad. bUT I DON"T want to be plagued by my insecurity...it's like i can't breach a natural response to anything and i'm suffocating.

Latest posts

Back