What do you Gain by Smoking?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this discussion is exclusive to tobaco? Cause the picture is completely different once you change that matter to stuff like pot.

Well,teh downsides of smoking cigarrets:
-The always present deseases
-Your wallet get's slim...er
-Nicotine in your body,I mean,smoking cigarrets doesn't relax you. It's like hitting your head against a wall. If you smoke cigarrets,you stop hitting your head,and thereby you get more relaxed than you were before,but you were just relieveing the stress nicotine causes you.
-Your teeth get yellow and your hands a bit deformed
-You become more irritated and stressed when you do not smoke
-You have the pain of having to go to outside always when you want to smoke
-Another whole bunch of mental effects nicotine causes you.
-Etc.

My dad smoked since he was 17 until his late 20s,stoped for a year or two,then started again til I was 5 (aka when he was 37/38) and he says it was the worse mistake of his life. Oh,and he quit smoking from reading a book from a famous british guy which I can't remember now.

One thing is for sure,I'll never touch tobaco...

Chronic Bronchitis, Emphysema, Congestive Heart Failure, cancer...

Sorry but cigarettes are a public health epidemic. Even through private insurance plans, everybody else ends up footing the bill for smokers as they age and get sick. Not to mention it's a hazard to me when so many people around me are smokers. Sometimes I've actually found it difficult to avoid second hand smoke. It's ridiculous. Personally I think with any case of disease linked to a smoking habit, the individual should have to pay for the treatment themselves. No medicaid or insurance payments. Save the rest of us the burden of their retarded mistake.

Also, anyone who thinks marijuana is magically safe just because it doesn't have an evil corporation attached to it is sorely mistaken. You're still inhaling tar, particulates, and other irritants common between marijuana and tobacco. Proportionally, you are at the same risk for the above diseases independent of tobacco use.

Lungs are designed to breath particle-free, slightly humid, normal temperature air containing ~21% oxygen, no matter what stigma is attached to breaking that mold.

Brian said:

It's ridiculous. Personally I think with any case of disease linked to a smoking habit, the individual should have to pay for the treatment themselves. No medicaid or insurance payments. Save the rest of us the burden of their retarded mistake.

I don't drive. What does that have to do with smoking? Here, if you get lung cancer (and are a non smoker) or some other disease relating to Carbon Monoxide (or another toxin spewed by vehicles, or the vast concrete communes) side effect, you should be forced to pay for it aswell. Why? You chose to drive, I choose not to, it is not my responisibility to carry the weight of your being a driver, being stuck in traffic, or living in a city right? Whether or not the job was in a city, or a university was too far from lodging, regardless it's still your choice for convience, similiarly smoking is my choice for enjoyment (yes, the addiction is there, but if it was 'just' the addiction NRTs would be 100% effective 100% of the time).

I hate the anti-smoking lobby with a passion, they already forced us out of resturants and bars (which are private businesses, you wouldn't go to a steak house if you're a vegan, you don't have to go to a smokers bar if you don't smoke, again, it would be your choice). That's what many Western democracies are based on. Choice. More and more these days it seems we have less of it.

I understand some people dislike smoking, and if I walk by a baby carrige I give them a wide birth, and make sure not to be blowing smoke in people's faces. But hell, if the only place I'm allowed to smoke is on a sidewalk that's 2 feet wide, odds are at sometime, some one is going get some smoke off me. Then, the only reason I'm out there is because I can't be inside.

Also, so many people state these diseases as though they're a garuntee. My uncle Vic, lived to 96, and from the time he was ~20 until the day he died (well technically the day before, as he went in his sleep) smoked a pipe and never suffered any serious health effects. Neither did his wife (who lived to 98).

/rant.

And I quit smoking....

I smoke occasionally and the employees in those restaurants and bars shouldn't be forced to breathe in my carcinogens. I step outside.

I use to smoke, and I have personely lived how sick smoking can make a person. I personely think a women smoking looks ugly. I got sick every 4-6 month with tonselites and flue at the same time. It got so bad that I had to be rushed to hospitale almost every time. I met hubby who is not a smoker and he wanted me to quit, and I did. I have never been that sick again since then.
Maybe there's no garentee that you'll live longer but it sure raise the chance that I will. My sister in-law smokes and she's only six yrs older then me. She suffers from chronic brochcites, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes. She smells like an ashtray(not very sophisticated). If I want to kill myself I'll do it and get over it, slow suicide is not my thing. And watching others kill them selfs slowly is not that charming either.

I'll tell you what I gained by smoking: COPD--Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder (I get constant bronchitis and am on the borderline of having emphasema.) I quit 7 years ago because I just couldn't breathe. I will be on inhalers forever, including a rescue inhaler, which I need mostly in the summer when it's hot, in the winter when the air is heavy, and when I walk or do things too fast. Whenever I get a minor cold it goes to my lungs and it is horrible.

I am almost glad that happened to me, because I smoked so many years, I probably would've never quit.

There is nothing like a reformed anything. I am terrible now...I can't be around smoke or aerosol sprays because I can't breathe. I also don't like when others smoke because of the smell of the smoke on their clothes, etc. Kissing a smoker is like
licking an ashtray. Remember that the next time you get lonely.

I love a good smoke, it calms me down and helps me clear my head of thoughts. Plus a smoker can make friends with other smokers by asking for a lighter :)

I smoke. Have on and off since I was 13. I don't do it to be COOL AND POPULAR, I smoke because I want to and that's it.

And yes, I do have kids. Just because you smoke and have kids does NOT mean they are suffering from the second hand smoke. I smoke OUTSIDE and NEVER around my kids. I always change my shirt or whatever and wash my hands when I'm done. Aside from that fact, I NEVER smoke around other people, if I smoke a cigarette out in public I will go well out of my way to stay away from other people, whether they smoke or not.

I started smoking in December as a form of stress-relief (it does work, albeit not very well). I'm trying to quit, primarily because I can't afford it and have a constant smoker's cough.

In high school I used to watch the smokers gather at the far end of the yard on recesses and socialize with one another. I've got this silly idea in my head that smoking would make getting to know other people easier.

I've got absolutely no problem with whatever people want to put in their own bodies, that's their own business. Still, I was glad when they banned smoking in bars and night clubs. Wonderful not having to come home afterward with my hair and my clothes stinking. (Oh, and I guess also wonderful not having to inhale second hand smoke, but whatever.)

I have a fetish for somewhat-attractive young women that smoke all-white cigarettes.

However, my stance on smoking and tobacco usage in general are not affected by my strange fetish.

I do not plan on starting, ever. I don't want anyone to smoke in any public place, especially around me, and that's that. (unless I end up with a girlfriend who would like to fulfill my fantasies one night)

In a nutshell, the only thing you gain from smoking is satisfying the need that smoking itself got you into.

potato said:
It's my fourth day of being free from smoking. Woooooo.

CONGRATULATIONS! That is something to be proud of. Keep up the great work potato. I am sure we are all rooting for you!

I really only smoke when I am CRAZY inebriated, I look like a total tool when I do so I do my best to NOT be that way - which, luckily I am almost never that ummm....gone? lol.

Latest posts

Back